• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obscure Game Trivia

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayrachi

Most Hostile
Reaction score
Post some random tidbits of trivial knowledge here regarding any game.

For example, in Super Mario Bros. 3, the bosses of Desert Land, Water Land, Ice Land, and Pipe Land are Morton, Wendy, Lemmy, and Ludwig respectively, and in Mario Kart 8, the staff ghosts for Bone-Dry Dunes, Dolphin Shoals, Sherbet Land, and Piranha Plant Slide are Morton, Wendy, Lemmy, and Ludwig respectively.

It's not that obscure, but I thought it was interesting when somebody told me recently that Diddy Kong is the only non-Japanese character in Super Smash Bros.

Silent Hill is based on a combination of areas in American movies

* Manhandla from the Legend of Zelda is said to be a species of "Pakkun" in the Japanese manual, which is the name for Pirahna Plants in Japan.

* The old PS1 game Croc was originally going to be a Yoshi game, but the company who created it had a falling out with Nintendo, so it became an original IP.

It's not that obscure, but I thought it was interesting when somebody told me recently that Diddy Kong is the only non-Japanese character in Super Smash Bros.

Yep, created by Rare.

As the story goes, originally Donkey Kong's sidekick in Donkey Kong Country was going to be Donkey Kong Jr., but for some reason Nintendo didn't want them to use Jr., so Diddy Kong was created instead, and the rest is history.

Paarthurnax, the friendly dragon that lives on top of a mountain in Skyrim, is voiced by Charles Martinet... the same guy who voices Mario, Luigi, and a number of other characters from the Super Mario Bros. franchise.

Ah, I love me some good trivia...

During the planing stages of Crash Bandicoot, one of the concepts for the protagonist was Willie the Wombat.

Posting in the "Stupid theory" thread reminded me of this -

There was a version of the 80s video game Battlezone made for the US military, called The Bradley Trainer, which was used as targeting training for gunners on the Bradley Fighting Vehicle.
Also, the controller used in that version was later re-used for the Star Wars arcade game.

I'm pretty sure this is correct, but you know the original Spyro? Frodo Baggins voiced him. Pretty weird, right?

Back when pokemon gsc was pocket monsters 2, it was going to still be in kanto and red was going to be ethan's brother
As said by a japan only flyer talking about what could've been

Orvus, leader of the Zoni in "Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time" was voiced by Charles Martinet, aka Mario.

Super Mario Bros 3 is one of the 10 video games preserved in the US Library of Congress in Washington DC that has of great cultural and historical significance. It is the only Japanese video game in the list.

In Pokemon Stadium 2, different Smeargle have different tail and back colors like in the anime. Also, Smeargle's normal and shiny colorations were swapped between Gen 2 and Gen 3

Project Ego was delayed several times before it became known as Fable. It was one of the first games I was hyped for.

In Sonic Adventure 2 (and perhaps other games, but SA2's the only one I've seen proof of), in game cutscenes are rendered in a fully 3D space. This means that, if you have some way to manipulate the camera, then you can move it around the area the cutscene takes place in, and view it from different angles. Pre-rendered cutscenes however, are shown on a 2D plane... That is rendered in a fully 3D space. This means that if you have some way to manipulate the camera, you can move around in the black, 3D void it takes place in, while the 2D plane with the cutscene on it plays out in its original location and orientation.

In SMITE, the voice actor for Sun Wukong is Sean Schemmel, the voice of Goku in Dragon Ball, who was inspired heavily by the mythical Monkey King.

The first video game was released in 1978 by the precurser to atari to the public
First person shooters have existed since the 50s in the military and had a wierd priter system to make it work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom