• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obscure Pokémon anime trivia

Oh wait Pignite lol
pixil-frame-0 - 2021-03-11T115220.241.png

Omg omg omg I can't believe I've only ever posted about this in the Shipping subforum which no one visits.

Did you guys know about these awesome Jessie and James inspired crooks in Disney's cartoon Big City Greens?

The storyboarder who created them (Kiana Khansmith) is a big Team Rocket fan and she wrote about the inner workings of making this happen here and here and here for those who are interested.

If this weren't all SO COOL on its own, the crazy Gramma character (who is their getaway driver) is voiced by Inuko Nyasu Inuyama in the Japanese dub of this show :lapras:

Speaking of the Rocket trio, there's another anime series where the villains strongly resemble them. They're composed of 3 people as well (2 men and a woman), and are similar comedic antagonists of the series.

Kodai Ouja Kyoryuu King (or Dinosaur King, as known in the West), the Act-dan (Alpha Gang).

Eh, I was looking fot a clip where they appear on Youtube, but all I'm finding are whole episodes. For piracy reasons, and since it's forbidden on Bulbagarden, I won't post them.

Speaking of the Rocket trio, there's another anime series where the villains strongly resemble them. They're composed of 3 people as well (2 men and a woman), and are similar comedic antagonists of the series.

Kodai Ouja Kyoryuu King (or Dinosaur King, as known in the West), the Act-dan (Alpha Gang).
I've read about them before. I also feel like I heard the dub was produced by 4Kids? In that context, I believe that not only is the main kid voiced by Veronica Taylor, but that the Musashi expy is voiced by Rachael Lillis and that apparently watching this anime dubbed in English felt very similar to watching a 4Kids era Pokemon haha.

I've read about them before. I also feel like I heard the dub was produced by 4Kids? In that context, I believe that not only is the main kid voiced by Veronica Taylor, but that the Musashi expy is voiced by Rachael Lillis and that apparently watching this anime dubbed in English felt very similar to watching a 4Kids era Pokemon haha.
To tell the truth I've never liked this anime lol I watched a few episodes when it premiered on Jetix about 12 years ago in my home country and from the get-go it looked like a Pokemon\Digimon\Yu-Gi-Oh! rip-off.

Yeah, it was also brought by 4kids, which meant many characters got new names and probably a bunch of rewrites too. Anyway I mentioned it since from the moment I saw Kyoryuu King's trio I thought of the Rocket trio instantly, the similarities are so close it's impossible not to remember them.

To tell the truth I've never liked this anime lol I watched a few episodes when it premiered on Jetix about 12 years ago in my home country and from the get-go it looked like a Pokemon\Digimon\Yu-Gi-Oh! rip-off.

Yeah, it was also brought by 4kids, which meant many characters got new names and probably a bunch of rewrites too. Anyway I mentioned it since from the moment I saw Kyoryuu King's trio I thought of the Rocket trio instantly, the similarities are so close it's impossible not to remember them.
So other creators cannot be inspired by other series?

So other creators cannot be inspired by other series?
Course they can. I'm aspiring to become one myself and I use references\inspirations all the time while trying to keep the story and characters as original as possible.

My point was that that anime is too similar to those three other franchises I mentioned, and that their comedic trio is very close to the Rocket trio too, lacking a little bit of originality imo.

Today's episode marks two interesting things

(so,,, spoiler allert, I guess?)

- Rinto's Gallade is the third species of Pokemon that was shown having a Hidden Ability: Justified. The only other Pokemon that were shown with a HA were various Darmanitan and Olympia's male Meowstic.

- Despite debuting in ep 25 of the original series, almost 23 years ago (!), it's the first time Bellsprout got an Pokedex Entry.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom