• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obscure Pokémon anime trivia

Not sure if this is really a fun fact, but...Junki Takegami has written AG001(Get the show on the road!) and EP030(Sparks fly for Megnemite!)-both episodes where Pikachu is extremely sick. Meanwhile, the long running cliches of Pikachu fighting Raichu and getting controlled are both derived from Episodes 014(Electric Shock Showdown!) and 086(Pikachu Re-Volts)-both which were written by Atsuhiro Tomioka.

When Lysandre tried to possess Ash and Greninja in the Flare Arc of XYZ, it was Pikachu who had snapped Ash out of the pain. The original Japanese version actually has Pikachu's voice echo as he cries out Ash's name-which causes Ash and Greninja to gasp in shock, leading them to perform the Bond Phenomenon.

I don't know how much that's obscure or not, and since some people talked about VAs, Musashi and Nyasu's voice actors (Hayashibara Megumi and Inuyama Inuko) also voice
Shaman King's main characters Anna and Manta (both 2001 and 2021 versions).

It's interesting that while Anna doesn't really sound like Musashi, Manta sometimes does sound a lot like Nyasu (especially when he screams).

When Lysandre tried to possess Ash and Greninja in the Flare Arc of XYZ, it was Pikachu who had snapped Ash out of the pain. The original Japanese version actually has Pikachu's voice echo as he cries out Ash's name-which causes Ash and Greninja to gasp in shock, leading them to perform the Bond Phenomenon.
I know the scene was edited in the dub, but who snapped them back to their senses in the dub?

jn030 is a disgrace

Ash's Pikachu made a cameo appearance in Detective Pikachu.

Another one is that apparently there used to be comics back in the day of Ash and the gang going to school.
tumblr_pqfm3x3Fzo1rz79sz_1280.jpg
tumblr_pqfm41Kxe41rz79sz_1280.jpg

Last edited:
Sun and Moon(Alola) has the least amount of filler episodes out of any other series, with only about 11-12 filler episodes. The series with the second least amount of filler episodes is a tie with DP(Sinnoh) and BW(Unova), both within the range of 19-20 filler episodes. Following that is XY(Kalos), with about 24 filler episodes. AG(Hoenn) has about 48 filler episodes, whereas the OS(Kanto, Orange Islands and Johto) series has the most, with roughly 100 filler episodes.

Journeys has roughly 15 filler episodes so far. (I'm surprised too tho...!!!??? :unsure: )

Ah yes, the infamous American Pokémon comic.
Because the kids playing a game and watching a series about going on adventures would much rather see one about being in school.

Sun and Moon(Alola) has the least amount of filler episodes out of any other series, with only about 11-12 filler episodes. The series with the second least amount of filler episodes is a tie with DP(Sinnoh) and BW(Unova), both within the range of 19-20 filler episodes. Following that is XY(Kalos), with about 24 filler episodes. AG(Hoenn) has about 48 filler episodes, whereas the OS(Kanto, Orange Islands and Johto) series has the most, with roughly 100 filler episodes.

Journeys has roughly 15 filler episodes so far. (I'm surprised too tho...!!!??? :unsure: )
How are we defining filler? Other than OS those numbers all sound very low.

How are we defining filler? Other than OS those numbers all sound very low.

Basically no plot, character development, character revelation(expansion), or event that'll be brought up in the future-in short, an episode that can easily be skipped without sometime in the future the watcher even BRIEFLY wondering what the characters are talking about. Such as, why, I gave rough estimates instead of being more exact. For instance, the Sun and Moon episode where Litten, Popplio, and Rowlet get lost might be considered a filler, but I excluded it(hense why the amount says 11-12)because in that episode it's revealed Litten knows scratch-but I consider it as a filler since if Litten uses the move later, it would be considered as that being the episode where its revealed Litten knows Scratch, rather than the one where it gets lost.

Basically, if information is revealed-no matter how small it is-and it's brought up in the future, I won't count it as a filler episode because it's part of the continuity and actually isn't a stand alone episode. Filler episodes, to me, are episodes that can easily be taken out because they aren't necessarily part of the continuity of the anime, like the XY episode A Gaggle of Gadget Greatness!-it's right before a league and is never brought up again, nothing is revealed about the characters, and there isn't even any references to past episodes either, hense my definition of a filler episode.

In Pokémon TV Spain, the first XY episode was mistitled as "Kalos, where we lost our dreams and adventures!" (translation) during the first days. It was corrected later, but what a way to foreshadow the Kalos League outcome.

Lol the Spanish Translation team already knew.

Back
Top Bottom