• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obscure Pokémon anime trivia

JN063 will be Swampert’s first appearance in the main show since DP113 and as a whole since M19.

Compared to the other Hoenn Starters showing up in XY (Sawyer’s Sceptile, Blaziken Mask) Swampert got robbed hard.
Mega Swampert was reduced to some random mook in the Volcanion movie and never had a major role anywhere else. Another underexposed starter to the list.

I guess it did appear in a short where its one role was punching Alain’s Charizard in the face, so at least we can all relish in that.

...does Blastoise actually have it as bad as Raichu?
Actually, now that I think of it, Blastoise might have it slightly worse. I mean, at least Raichu has had appearances where its interactions with Pikachu are amicable, and the two have sometimes even been on the same team against some other threat... not to mention that it did take Pikachu two rounds to get the win against Raichu (twice), while Charizard always wins against Blastoise on its first try.

But wow, some Pokemon do have it rough in the limelight department. You're either like Typhlosion and Swampert where your appearances are scarce, or you're like Blastoise and Raichu where you appear relatively frequently but most of those appearances are mainly focused on you getting beaten up by another character whom the writers want to look good. Would you like your favorite Pokemon to appear a lot but solely for jobber purposes, or would you rather it just not appear at all? Pick your poison.

Actually, now that I think of it, Blastoise might have it slightly worse. I mean, at least Raichu has had appearances where its interactions with Pikachu are amicable, and the two have sometimes even been on the same team against some other threat... not to mention that it did take Pikachu two rounds to get the win against Raichu (twice), while Charizard always wins against Blastoise on its first try.

But wow, some Pokemon do have it rough in the limelight department. You're either like Typhlosion and Swampert where your appearances are scarce, or you're like Blastoise and Raichu where you appear relatively frequently but most of those appearances are mainly focused on you getting beaten up by another character whom the writers want to look good. Would you like your favorite Pokemon to appear a lot but solely for jobber purposes, or would you rather it just not appear at all? Pick your poison.
Slightly off topic, but I am still salty both Decidueye on-screen battles were losses, with the second one being to Ash's...Rowlet.

Something I mentioned in my profile some time ago; episode 131 has been part of a prominent Ash defeat oddly often:
AG 131 was the Hoenn league finals
DP 131 was the start of the Lake Acuity battle
XY 131 was the Kalos League finals
Literally half the episode 131s!
(OS 131 was Falkner, BW131 was a filler episode, SuMo131 was Jessie Vs James in the league)
The chance this is anything except a weird coincidence is pretty low; 131 would, because of the three year cycle, generally be pretty close to a league. DP131 is interesting because that is when I realized Lake Acuity took place around when a lot of leagues wrap up, though!

"Fun" fact; my overall fav is Metagross, who has been used by two league kickers, including He Who Must Not Be Named.
Whether this is better or worse than not getting much appearance time will vary per individual.

Slightly off topic, but I am still salty both Decidueye on-screen battles were losses, with the second one being to Ash's...Rowlet.
I'm not a big fan of Decidueye myself, but even I can see how poorly the thing has been treated in the anime. Losing to the most overrated bird Ash has ever had.

Staraptor is one of Ash's better birds.

hahahahahahaha. Its arguably his weakest, next to Unfezant. It has never done anything remotely interesed. Both Swellow and Talonflame have faced Legendaries and Mega's and Noctowl has improved a lot since Johto.

hahahahahahaha. Its arguably his weakest, next to Unfezant. It has never done anything remotely interesed. Both Swellow and Talonflame have faced Legendaries and Mega's and Noctowl has improved a lot since Johto.
Noctowl is not great tho it only defeated a Lickilicki. Staraptor has a better Gym record than Talonflame.

Back
Top Bottom