• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obscure Pokémon anime trivia

I missed most of SM and then most of PM 2019, before that Kenji's last speaking episode was in a late AG episode. Other than some brief cameo appearances in BW, he didn't show up in any of the XY saga. Considering those cameos were his last appearances, or the lack of any speaking roles ever again since AG (which ended 15 years ago!), I can totally see why Kenji never Mega evolved any of his Pokemon xD

I missed most of SM and then most of PM 2019, before that Kenji's last speaking episode was in a late AG episode. Other than some brief cameo appearances in BW, he didn't show up in any of the XY saga. Considering those cameos were his last appearances, or the lack of any speaking roles ever again since AG (which ended 15 years ago!), I can totally see why Kenji never Mega evolved any of his Pokemon xD
Basically, Tracey is stuck in this weird limbo of having a popular and demanded Japanese VA but not popular and demanded enough himself to be worth bringing said VA back.

Tracey and Max’s both last speaking roles were AG191 in 2006, both 15 years ago. In DP when they showed Max on-screen briefly with his family he didn’t speak. May’s last role or even cameo (if you don’t count the movie 20 credits) was in 2008.

At this point they’re the only 3 characters who haven’t appeared in about 15 years. I guess being caught in the middle of the OS and DP casts and the more modern series leaves their characters less incentive to be revisited. I don’t think we’ll see any of them in Journies even if this series goes on longer than usual.

Basically, Tracey is stuck in this weird limbo of having a popular and demanded Japanese VA but not popular and demanded enough himself to be worth bringing said VA back.
Yeah, just checked who his VA is in Bulbagarden and it's the same guy who voices Danganronpa's Tanaka and Persona 5's Yuusuke. Not mentioning Seki has roles in very popular modern anime series such as My Hero Academia.

Anyway, back on topic, something on an international level but still related to Kenji, in my local dub (Brazilian Portuguese) there was a translation error in which he's treated by all the other characters as female (according to the translator "Tracey" is usually (or used to be back in the 2000s) a girl's name). It happened only once and in mentions only ( since it's an episode where he doesn't appear at all).

Tracey and Max’s both last speaking roles were AG191 in 2006, both 15 years ago. In DP when they showed Max on-screen briefly with his family he didn’t speak. May’s last role or even cameo (if you don’t count the movie 20 credits) was in 2008.

At this point they’re the only 3 characters who haven’t appeared in about 15 years. I guess being caught in the middle of the OS and DP casts and the more modern series leaves their characters less incentive to be revisited. I don’t think we’ll see any of them in Journies even if this series goes on longer than usual.
Max's Japanese VA hasn't had many major roles since AG ended, although apparently she isn't retired. Still, they would have to go out of their way to bring her back, and Max is easily the least popular traveling companion to begin with.
Yeah, just checked who his VA is in Bulbagarden and it's the same guy who voices Danganronpa's Tanaka and Persona 5's Yuusuke. Not mentioning Seki has roles in very popular modern anime series such as My Hero Academia.
I thought Tanaka and Yusuke were Tomokazu Sugita, not Tomokazu Seki.

Same name, different surnames. I just made a confusion. Thanks for correcting it though.
Nah, it's fine. I've made mistakes like that too. Just wanted to clarify.

Seki's other credits include Toji in Evangelion, Daru in Steins;Gate, Kanji in Persona 4 and Whisper in Yo-Kai Watch. So he's a pretty big name in Japan regardless.

In the ending credits of Movie 14, Jessie and James have the lighting on their hair as it was pre-BW. Maybe it was originally meant to remain that way and this is just a leftover?
2021-09-28.png

Whereas Greg Abbey voiced a variety of different characters in the 4Kids era from Scott near the end of their run to Tabitha and even grunts for both Team Aqua and Team Magma, all three of his current voice roles for the TPCI era have all been father characters - Leona and Khoury's in Diamond and Pearl and Bianca in Black and White.

Not counting main character Gym leaders like Misty/Brock, Iris, Cilan or Clemont....Korrina is now in the most episodes surpassing Claire from Johto for most appearances for a Gym leader in the series.

Claire has 7 episodes (5 in Johto and two in BW) whereas Korrina got 7 in XY (5 Gym arc and the two in the Flare arc) and now two in Journies making 9 or 10 in total if you also count that ep we saw Alan beating Korrina which lasted 2 minutes.

There are three moves that have appeared in the anime but have never been seen in the English dub:
  • Conversion was used by Dr. Akihabara's Porygon in EP038. Never been seen in the dub or used since for obvious reasons.
  • Minimize was used by Nurse Joy's Chansey in the second DP special episode, which was skipped in the dub.
  • Ion Deluge was used by a wild Eelektross in the sixth XY special episode, which also happens to be the only XY special episode that wasn't dubbed.

Interestingly, in the Pokémon episode Bad to the Bone, the character of the day Otoshi described the Kanto Badges he won as well as the Pokémon he fought for them. During his montage, every signature Pokémon pair and Badge matched up except for the Marsh Badge sequence – rather than Sabrina’s Abra or Kadabra, it featured a Hitmonlee instead…a possible reference to the Saffron Gym originally housing an official Fighting Gym prior to Sabrina’s takeover.

Back
Top Bottom