• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obscure Pokémon anime trivia

i don't know if this has already been brought up but. ash's aunt hillary... pokemania was one hell of a time. i think journeys should bring back ash's aunt hillary actually.

1653168917201.png

edit: also i'm seeing a few bits of VA trivia so here's some stuff i've learned from me and my friends talking about shared VAs when it comes to our faves:
  • yeah apparently faba's japanese va has done SO MUCH SHIT IT'S INSANE. like okay with the non-dubbing roles it's still kinda whatever, faba sharing a va with adachi persona is actually somewhat fitting to my knowledge, there's some precure villain with a boob window, some character from this one semi-obscure late 80s anime that i only know about cause i'm friends with someone whose a fan of it, fun fact on that one gladion's japanese va was ALSO in that show.
  • and then you get to the dubbing roles. big bird. some fucker from g-force. kermit the fucking frog. NICK BRICK FROM LEGO GODDAMN ISLAND. BILL FROM BILL AND TED. THE FUCKING RANGE!!
  • gladion's japanese va is. bakugou.
  • so you know lillie's infamous dub voice? apparently her english va, with the exception of sun and moon usually does roles for like pbs kids level stuff which explains SO MUCH.

Last edited:
Any chance Hop appears since they have the same name in Latin America?
And it happened, lol. The Spanish Dub will have Polo, Polo and Paul within 5 episodes.

As for Latin America, I'm sure they'll go with Hop. The most recent batch used the English names for the Galar characters.

In the latest Journey's episode, Leon's Charizard has the following moveset: Fire Blast, Air Slash, Ancient Power, and Dragon Pulse. This makes it the first time that a Charizard is confirmed to not have Flamethrower in its moveset (Alain's Charizard may not have used Flamethrower either, but since it only used two attacks in the battle it's still possible that it had it). Even then, Leon's Charizard had already used Flamethrower in the past.

In the latest Journey's episode, Leon's Charizard has the following moveset: Fire Blast, Air Slash, Ancient Power, and Dragon Pulse. This makes it the first time that a Charizard is confirmed to not have Flamethrower in its moveset (Alain's Charizard may not have used Flamethrower either, but since it only used two attacks in the battle it's still possible that it had it). Even then, Leon's Charizard had already used Flamethrower in the past.
Moreover, this is the first time that a Charizard has used Fire Blast in th anime, not counting shorts such as Origins or Generations.

Maybe this fits the International Dub Thread better but since we're on the topic of cursing, in the Latin American dub Jessie calls Wobbuffet "boludo" in EP146 and EP169, maybe some other times. That's Argentinian slang for a really dumb person but it literally means having big testicles.

I'd normally assume the Mexican staff didn't know it was a curse word in other countries, but Jessie's VA even put an Argentinian accent in EP169 so...

In all fairness, we are not as sensitive to things related to excretion as 'muricans are. Like, we say "Kan jeg bruke doen?" (Can I use the toilet?), rather than "Kan jeg bruke badet?" (Can I use the bathroom?).

Maybe this fits the International Dub Thread better but since we're on the topic of cursing, in the Latin American dub Jessie calls Wobbuffet "boludo" in EP146 and EP169, maybe some other times. That's Argentinian slang for a really dumb person but it literally means having big testicles.

I'd normally assume the Mexican staff didn't know it was a curse word in other countries, but Jessie's VA even put an Argentinian accent in EP169 so...
Maybe not a curse word, but not something you would hear in a cartoon aimed at children. Kinda like how some E games have some stray "damns" and "craps" here or there.

Now I'm curious: is there an animated Pokémon thing that doesn't contain any Gen 1 Pokémon?
checked pokemon generations episode 13 since BW1 doesn't have any gen 1 mons, and yeah there's only unova mons there. i'm not sure if episodes 14 and 15 have any gen 1 mons but at the very least we have atleast one thing with no gen 1 mons.

Eric Stuart voiced Tracey's Scyther in S02
Kayzie Rogers voiced Ash once before the MoMP PUSA/TPCI dub, in a Burger King Toy's Commercial Dub for Pokemon 2000 during the 4Kids Era
Veronica Taylor was originally not going to voice Ash for the full OG English dub run, until 4Kids decided at the time, a woman would be able to voice a boy better than a real boy they had originally intended to go with (who would age up slowly obviously)
Rica Matsumoto (Ash's original Japanese seiyu) praised Veronica Taylor's Ash in 2006 ironically right before she was replaced by Sarah Natochenny in an Interview on ANN one time, saying she'd sound like her Ash in English
Sarah Natochenny said she was told to imitate Veronica Taylor's Ash at first, TAJ/PUSA were looking for voice matches at the time supposedly
Ed Goldfarb himself actually likes the Japanese score, even though his tenure under TPCI (DuArt or Iyuno) has seen the most music replacement and overhaul of the Japanese OST in the English dub's entire run from XY onward to JN
James Carter Cathcart has been doing script adapations since Season 5, despite being TPCI's sole dub writer from Season 9 onward
Maddie Blaustein once said on SerebiiForums as maddie_joan Kathy Borland was responsible for most of the script adaptations for Seasons 5-8 and the humor, Cathcart was a tertiary writer in the later 4Kids Era before being promoted to chief writer in the TPCI Era
Paul Taylor did a lot of the script adaptations for the 4Kids Era Movies, including the latter Era ones
Tom Wayland had the current dub cast do essentially whatever they wanted cold in the booth, didn't care, as long as kids were watching he said and it was still popular
Armen Mazlumian (the TAJ director for Battle Frontier & DP Season 1) also worked on the 4Kids dub during Johto and Early Hoenn, as did Larry Juris
Eric Stuart said his inspiration for his infamously camp portrayal of James in the dub was as the third Frasier brother, "So the brothers would be Frasier, Niles and James. So I went to a very sort of hippy dippy private school, where we all dress like vagabonds. But we played sports against a lot of very uptight, snooty blazers and khaki pants schools. So I just channelled those guys."
The return of outright censorship post-4Kids in the dub began in the TPCi dub in the episode in Season 19 Episode 40, first time since Season 6 Episode 24 in AG there was a violence edit:

Last edited:
Diamond and Pearl is the only anime series in which Team Rocket has appeared in every episode. In the original series, they're not present in the very first episode. In Generation III, they were absent from a Japanese-exclusive clip show episode. And starting from Black & White, they've frequently been absent from episodes whenever their presence hasn't been necessary for the episode.

Back
Top Bottom