• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obscure Pokémon anime trivia

The dubbing studio/company that replaced 4Kids with production on the anime when TPCI (or rather PUSA as they were called back then) wanted to cut costs just so happened to be TAJ Productions. Pretty normal fact as most would already know but what's more interesting is that they were the studio that 4Kids had previously used on the show before they started using their own studio during the end of Master Quest.

They had also worked for some other non 4Kids dubs such as (The) Irresponsible Captain Tylor and Slayers but by that point, the well was already starting to dry up for the studio and thus both Battle Frontier and the first Diamond and Pearl series was the last dubs they worked on. Once TPCI passed the production duties to DuArt Fim & Video, TAJ closed for good in 2009.
So is that the reason why seasons 9 and 10 uses a lot of 4Kids music?

So is that the reason why seasons 9 and 10 uses a lot of 4Kids music?
I had read that was the reason. Surely it means TPC wouldn't actually have free access to the 4Kids music if it weren't for the studio. But I wonder if they still owned stuff like the 4Kids intros, or they had to get the rights to remix them in recent years and whatnot.

I for one I'm glad for that because had they switched studios one season earlier, we wouldn't have had Team Rocket's Rockin in that one episode where they go "back to basics"

Now that we know the lyrics of the opening theme to the new series, we can add another piece of obscure Pokemon anime trivia!

"The Journey Starts Today" (first opening of Pokemon Journeys) and "Stand Tall" (last opening of Pokemon XY) are the only English opening themes to not have "Pokémon" in the last line of the song.

Fascinating, I know.

Talking about theme songs, Cesar Franco, the guy that sung the first Pokémon theme in LA Spanish, also sung the theme songs for Digimon. He also saved us from the English Digimon theme.
The singer for the Pokémon theme was Óscar Roa.
I think Franco does anime covers and whatnot, but his only "official" voice work on TV have been the Digimon theme songs.

Giovanni appears in A Bout With a Sprout, really. Or at least that's the original Japanese name of Earl Dervish of Pokémon Academy in Johto. Suede does that in the trivia version of th episode.

Plus Lillie's butler, Hobbies in SM, is actually named James. Knew that from Bulbapedia.

So for those who follow the Japanese version of the games/anime/manga is there I don't know where they make nods to the English version of said products?

The closest I think has been brought up is the Japanese Version of The Purr-fect Hero where Nyasu when having his fantasy we see the name Meowth. Now it premiered in July of 1998 not too long before the dub up to March of the Exeggutor Squad so it could be intentional. But only if say the localization was being prepared at least as of late 97 I think.

Last edited:
So for those who follow the Japanese version of the games/anime/manga is there I don't know where they make nods to the English version of said products?
Musashi and Kojiro played "Jessie" and "James" in a skit about two star-crossed (literally...) lovers during their Radio Show during BW:

Musashi also plays a Little Red Riding Hood character called Jessie in a different skit. Oh and when for some reason Yamato and Kosanji reenacted the same Red Riding Hood skit, her Red was called Cassidy...

Some movie-related episodes have sometimes been aired around the time a Pokémon movie has premiered. In Kanto, if the Porygon hiatus hadn't happened, Lights, Camera, Quack-tion and Go West Young Meowth would've aired in the same month as the first movie. In Hoenn, Lights, Camerupt, Action! aired just after the Deoxys movie.

Also, while not movie-themed episodes, there have been several cases of an episode or episodes airing around a movie's premier having elements similar to the movie. For example:
  • The Joy of Water Pokémon, the first episode to air after Pokémon 4Ever, takes place by a lake in a forest, similar to 4Ever.
  • Pokémon Heroes, a movie taking place in a city of water, aired in between Just Add Water and Lapras of Luxury, two episodes revolving around water and taking place at the coast, just like Heroes.
  • While not the first episode to air after the movie, The Spheal of Approval was the second episode to air after Jirachi: Wish Maker. In this episode, Team Magma appears and mentions Groudon. Both the team and Groudon also appear in the movie.
Credit goes to Lumiose Trainer Zac for pointing out these details.

When 4Kids's time with the anime came to a close after Advanced Battle wrapped up and TPCI/PUSA took the reins flinging dubbing production back to TAJ Productions (who had worked with 4Kids before), there were bound to be recasts a plenty since they wanted to cut costs.

Kayzie Rogers was originally going to be Ash's replacement voice as she was in the Kids WB! airing of the special The Mastermind of Mirage Pokémon before the DVD release had her redubbed with Ash's current VA Sarah Natochenny. But did you also know this? Back when 4Kids had the dubbing rights, Kayzie had previously played the role of Ash in a Burger King commercial when Pokémon the Movie: 2000 was gearing up for it's theatrical release.

While pretty much all pre-Gen 8 Pokémon have made an appearance in the anime so far (even if extremely minor), there are a few forms of individual Pokémon that have never made one single appearance, be it in an episode or a movie. Namely:

- ! and ? Unown
- Sandy and Trash Cloak Burmy
- Winter Form Deerling
- White Flower Floette
- Yellow and Orange Flower Florges
- Diamond Trim Furfrou

And also most type changes of Arceus and Silvally and most forms of Vivillon. But there's so many of them, so that shouldn't come as a surprise.

I have contacted Ash's recent Turkish voice actor to ask him about the dubbing process of Pokémon Journeys. He turns out to be a much nicer man than I expected who not only answered my questions, but also he and I had a very slight conversation on Pokémon. He revealed that Ash's former voice actor Kerem Kobanbay, who voiced Ash from XY102 until SM043, is actually his boss, and he handed his role to him from season 21 and onwards.

While pretty much all pre-Gen 8 Pokémon have made an appearance in the anime so far (even if extremely minor), there are a few forms of individual Pokémon that have never made one single appearance, be it in an episode or a movie. Namely:

- ! and ? Unown
I really hope we get to see them someday, I like their designs.

Back
Top Bottom