• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obscure Pokémon anime trivia

The only Pokemon in Ash's Alola team that doesn't have a weakness to the Ground-type is Rowlet. In fact, Rowlet's type makes him the only actual hard counter to Ground-types in Ash's Alola team. Additionally, half of them are also weak to Fighting.

Similarly, the Sinnoh team is notably vulnerable to the Ice-type, since all but three of them (Pikachu, Buizel, and Infernape) are weak against Ice, and three of them actually have a x4 weakness (Torterra, Gliscor, and Gible). Interestingly, all the x4 vulnerable to Ice members of Sinnoh are part-Ground.

Interestingly, despite its overall lack of type diversity, the Kalos team avoids vulnerability to one single type to the extent that the two above mentioned teams do, though half of it is weak to Electric. EDIT: this is wrong, as two thirds of the Kalos team (Greninja, Hawlucha, Noivern, and Goodra) are weak to Fairy.

Finally, the current Journeys team has half of its members sharing a weakness to the Fairy-type and the other half sharing a weakness to Ground.

Last edited:
Interestingly, despite its overall lack of type diversity, the Kalos team avoids vulnerability to one single type to the extent that the two above mentioned teams do, though half of it is weak to Electric.
Actually, since Greninja is part Dark, Hawlucha is part Fighting, Goodra is pure Dragon and Noivern is half Dragon, 4 members (or 2/3) of his Kalos team are weak against Fairy.

And it's also interesting that 4 out of his Unova team are weak against Flying;

- Pignite, part Fighting
- Snivy, Grass
- Leavanny, Bug/Grass (a whooping 4X weakness)
- Scraggy, part Fighting

And is also funny that 2 members of this team (Krookodile and Palpitoad) also struggle Flying types due to them being part Ground. So since Oshawott and Unfezant are neutral against it, Boldore is his only resist against it.

Actually, since Greninja is part Dark, Hawlucha is part Fighting, Goodra is pure Dragon and Noivern is half Dragon, 4 members (or 2/3) of his Kalos team are weak against Fairy.

And it's also interesting that 4 out of his Unova team are weak against Flying;

- Pignite, part Fighting
- Snivy, Grass
- Leavanny, Bug/Grass (a whooping 4X weakness)
- Scraggy, part Fighting

And is also funny that 2 members of this team (Krookodile and Palpitoad) also struggle Flying types due to them being part Ground. So since Oshawott and Unfezant are neutral against it, Boldore is his only resist against it.
Oops! Forgot to add the Fairy thing for Kalos.

Also, I didn't count Unova team's weakness to Flying because I include Pikachu in all of them, so with him adding a total of nine Pokemon, that's less than half the team that has a Flying weakness.

The only Pokemon in Ash's Alola team that doesn't have a weakness to the Ground-type is Rowlet. In fact, Rowlet's type makes him the only actual hard counter to Ground-types in Ash's Alola team. Additionally, half of them are also weak to Fighting.

Similarly, the Sinnoh team is notably vulnerable to the Ice-type, since all but three of them (Pikachu, Buizel, and Infernape) are weak against Ice, and three of them actually have a x4 weakness (Torterra, Gliscor, and Gible). Interestingly, all the x4 vulnerable to Ice members of Sinnoh are part-Ground.

Interestingly, despite its overall lack of type diversity, the Kalos team avoids vulnerability to one single type to the extent that the two above mentioned teams do, though half of it is weak to Electric.

Finally, the current Journeys team has half of its members sharing a weakness to the Fairy-type and the other half sharing a weakness to Ground.
Hey I just noticed something else too!

Ash's Johto team also suffers from having an severe weakness to Ice just like his Sinnoh team:

- Bayleef, Grass
- Phanpy/Donphan, Ground
- Noctowl, part Flying

Johto is only better cuz no one of these 3 Pokémon have 4X weakness tho.

Hey I just noticed something else too!

Ash's Johto team also suffers from having an severe weakness to Ice just like his Sinnoh team:

- Bayleef, Grass
- Phanpy/Donphan, Ground
- Noctowl, part Flying

Johto is only better cuz no one of these 3 Pokémon have 4X weakness tho.
His Kalos team is weak to Ice as well

To date, no Pokemon has ever been knocked out by indirect damage (by that I mean things such as Poison/Burn status, Hail/Sand, or Recoil). Every battle is always decided by someone landing a hit with an offensive move. The closest that indirect damage has ever come to knocking a Pokemon out is in instances where status moves are depicted as offensive moves, such as Brandon's Dusclops's Will-o-wisp, or that one time that Squirtle being put to sleep was ruled out as a KO.

Here are some about the music of the Pokemon anime, which I absolutely love.
1. In America, for the OPs, there were only studio bands performing. Walk Off the Earth broke this streak with the Journeys opening "The Journey Starts Today".
2. In Japan, the themes are mostly made by solo singers. But one time, the pop punk band Whiteberry made a cover of the first Japanese OP, "Mezase Pokemon Master". I like the Whiteberry versio much more than Shoko Nakagawa's Alola version, but Rika Matsumoto's original version is the absolute best.
3. The American OPs tend to lean towards rock, especially in the early 2000s (Unbeatable, This Dream, Believe in Me) days of Pokemon. The Japanese ones were much more varied, but with many rock-based songs appearing in the 2000s more (Spurt!!, Mezase Pokemon Master-Whiteberry version, The RIvals, Saikou Everyday). During the last Unova part, most of Kalos, and some of Alola, the OPs (and many EDs) took on a different "J-pop-light rock" vibe. (Summerly Slope, Getta Ban Ban, Kirakira, Kimi no Bouken).
(Also, my personal favorite Japanese OP is Kimi no Bouken. Favorite American OP is It's Always You and Me, purely from nostalgia reasons (I grew up with BW). Favorite Japanese ED is Kaze no Message (my favorite Pokemon song total). Favorite American ED is the ED version of the Kalos remake of the original theme.)
XYZ is totally hard rock

To date, no Pokemon has ever been knocked out by indirect damage (by that I mean things such as Poison/Burn status, Hail/Sand, or Recoil). Every battle is always decided by someone landing a hit with an offensive move. The closest that indirect damage has ever come to knocking a Pokemon out is in instances where status moves are depicted as offensive moves, such as Brandon's Dusclops's Will-o-wisp, or that one time that Squirtle being put to sleep was ruled out as a KO.

is Destiny Bond not considered indirect damage?

I can understand why. From a narrative perspective, it's more satisfying to see a Pokemon deliver a final blow to end the fight than the opponent finally fainting to the status effect said Pokemon implemented a few minutes ago.

Even though the first series of the english dub is currently known as "Pokémon the Series: The Beginning", the Limited Edition Collection DVD set released in Australia and New Zealand back in 2016 bore instead the name of "Pokémon the Series: Kanto and Orange Islands". This was probably done as it included the Kanto episodes from "Advanced Battle" and "Battle Frontier".

Jeremy Blaustein, the brother of the late Maddie Blaustein and best known for translating the original Metal Gear Solid and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, provided the majority of translation work for the TPCi dub of the anime up until the end of XYZ, through Z. Pang America and iQiOi Co., Ltd., the companies he worked at at the time.

Back
Top Bottom