• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obscure Pokémon anime trivia

Can't recall, plus a few commenter mention knowing one of the things on here: WEIRD Pokemon Facts in Under 10 Minutes!

The first one on here which caught my attention is how to get 5 Pokéballs from Oak in Gen 1.

Basically do not purchase any at all yet, then beat Blue in the optional battle west of Viridian City. And then go back to see Oak and he will give you them as you can't just filling in the Dex by just seeing the Pokémon.

So obscure trivia or barely?

He also voiced Jimmy and Juan, which are... admittedly not characters I expected him to voice.
Sean Schemmel? Believe it or not he's been doing roles for the Pokemon dub since mid-Johto, IIRC. I'm speechless that's him, on Dracovish, yeesh.

(His Juan is fairly solid, though, Jimmy the less said the better- not inherently a bad performance, but Chronicles is easily the worst byproduct of the OG dub so kind of mixed feelings).

He also voiced Morrison in the AG dub (fun trivia- Masako Nozawa was his seiyu in Japanese, Son Goku, hint hint), and Cyrus in the DP dub, food for thought.

Also he's the voice of Lucario in the Movie 8 dub (4Kids' final dub work on Pokemon) & in Smash 4 after Bill Rogers does the role in SSB Brawl.

Last edited:
Can't recall, plus a few commenter mention knowing one of the things on here: WEIRD Pokemon Facts in Under 10 Minutes!

The first one on here which caught my attention is how to get 5 Pokéballs from Oak in Gen 1.

Basically do not purchase any at all yet, then beat Blue in the optional battle west of Viridian City. And then go back to see Oak and he will give you them as you can't just filling in the Dex by just seeing the Pokémon.

So obscure trivia or barely?
Did you mean to post this on the game trivia thread?

Maddie Blaustein (who also went by the name "Addie Blaustein/Adam Blaustein" in some of his earlier work, AKA Meowth/Nyasu's 2nd and arguably most iconic English dub VA from EP032-AG145 + M01-M08; Meowth's longest running 4Kids dub VA) was one of the very first trans voice actresses ever in dub Anime. Blaustein broke a huge barrier for many in the industry, it turns out.

Casey Mongillo (known for working on the current Pokemon dub since Journeys + in Twilight Wings & Neon Genesis Evangelion as the second dub VA for Shinji/in the Netflix Series Dub) as well as Jordan Gray found her VO work inspirational, supposedly.

The Inspiring Story of the Trans Actress Behind Your Favorite Pokémon's Voice

Kayzie Rogers (English dub Sonansu/Wobbuffet from EP146-XY140 & TPCI dub Max/Masato from AG146-AG192 + M09) & Eric Stuart (4Kids dub VA for Brock, James, Magikarp Salesman, and Butch for the first 8 years/Seasons + first 8 Movies from EP005-AG145 + M01-08) have a very interesting read here, thanks to @darksteel6 for it.

Last edited:
Sean Schemmel? Believe it or not he's been doing roles for the Pokemon dub since mid-Johto, IIRC. I'm speechless that's him, on Dracovish, yeesh.

(His Juan is fairly solid, though, Jimmy the less said the better- not inherently a bad performance, but Chronicles is easily the worst byproduct of the OG dub so kind of mixed feelings).

He also voiced Morrison in the AG dub (fun trivia- Masako Nozawa was his seiyu in Japanese, Son Goku, hint hint), and Cyrus in the DP dub, food for thought.

Also he's the voice of Lucario in the Movie 8 dub (4Kids' final dub work on Pokemon) & in Smash 4 after Bill Rogers does the role in SSB Brawl.
He was also the voice of Psycho Squirrel and The Animobile is the obscure and forgotten Cartoon Network live-action/animated show "Team Toon"(it only aired on TV on Cartoon Network UK but was available on Netflix in the U.S. until 2018, fortunately I was able to get my hands on all of the episodes).

Maddie Blaustein (who also went by the name "Addie Blaustein/Adam Blaustein" in some of his earlier work, AKA Meowth/Nyasu's 2nd and arguably most iconic English dub VA from EP032-AG145 + M01-M08; Meowth's longest running 4Kids dub VA) was one of the very first trans voice actresses ever in dub Anime. Blaustein broke a huge barrier for many in the industry, it turns out.

Casey Mongillo (known for working on the current Pokemon dub since Journeys + in Twilight Wings & Neon Genenesis Evangelion as the second dub VA for Shinji/in the Netflix Series Dub) as well as Jordan Gray found her VO work inspirational, supposedly.

The Inspiring Story of the Trans Actress Behind Your Favorite Pokémon's Voice

Kayzie Rogers (English dub Sonansu/Wobbuffet from EP146-XY140 & TPCI dub Max/Masato from AG146-AG192 + M09) & Eric Stuart (4Kids dub VA for Brock, James, Magikarp Salesman, and Butch for the first 8 years/Seasons + first 8 Movies from EP005-AG145 + M01-08) have a very interesting read here, thanks to @darksteel6 for it.
thank you for the credit! Blew my mind to find that out as a kid and that played a huge role in me learning about trans people.

Time to talk about this one a bit...
I can't recall where I originally learned it from, but apparently, Takeshi Shudo has said that the reason why Brock left Professor Ivy was because he found out that she was a lesbian.
Dr. Lava approached me at one point in regards to where I had heard this information. I responded that I didn't know. It turns out this is an urban myth. Takeshi Shudō never said anything like this. Eventually I found out the question was asked in preparation for a "Did You Know Gaming?" video, but unfortunately, seeing Dr. Lava contact me personally threw me on a loop so I didn't respond until months later (completely forgetting about the whole question a couple times during that time), and by the time I responded, the script for the video was already finalized and my name didn't get into it. This thread did, though.

But yeah. Sorry for spreading this false information.

More random stuff I found out recently, I never knew this first bit:

• Eric Stuart (4Kids dub aka Original English Brock) and Johnny Yong Bosch (Origins dub Brock) actually have worked on something together before, a show called Three Delivery that aired on Nicktoons in the US (IDK where it aired if it did, in Canada (probably YTV?), Australia, and the UK but...): think of it as the LA and NY VA pools working together before they generally did in dubs-- just for a cartoon. Both of them also have music bands, interestingly.
  • Michele Knotz (TPCI dub Misty, Jessie, May) and Bill Rogers (TPCI dub Brock) are friends with Kyle Hebert (Generations Eusine and Origins dub Prof. Oak).
  • Eric Stuart is friends with Emily Bauer (DP Dub Dawn).
  • Veronica Taylor (4Kids dub aka Original English Ash, Delia & May) has done a panel with Haven Paschall (XY dub Serena), Michael Liscio Jr (XY dub Clemont) and Alyson Rosenfeld ("XY" dub Bonnie).

Last edited:
Veronica Taylor (4Kids dub aka Original English Ash, Delia & May) has done a panel with Haven Paschall (XY dub Serena), Michael Liscio Jr (XY dub Clemont) and Alyson Rosenfeld (TPCI dub Bonnie).
Blows my mind that VT has collabed with the XY Cast
Also apparently Natochenny and Paschall are good friends….

More random stuff I found out recently, I never knew this first bit:

• Eric Stuart (4Kids dub aka Original English Brock) and Johnny Yong Bosch (Origins dub Brock) actually have worked on something together before, a show called Three Delivery that aired on Nicktoons in the US (IDK where it aired if it did, in Canada (probably YTV?), Australia, and the UK but...): think of it as the LA and NY VA pools working together before they generally did in dubs-- just for a cartoon. Both of them also have music bands, interestingly.
  • Michele Knotz (TPCI dub Misty, Jessie, May) and Bill Rogers (TPCI dub Brock) are friend with Kyle Hebert (Generations Eusine and Origins dub Prof. Oak).
  • Eric Stuart is friends with Emily Bauer (DP Dub Dawn).
  • Veronica Taylor (4Kids dub aka Original English Ash, Delia & May) has done a panel with Haven Paschall (XY dub Serena), Michael Liscio Jr (XY dub Clemont) and Alyson Rosenfeld ("XY" dub Bonnie).
I remember Three Delivery, had no idea those two were in it though.

The Bicker the Better is banned in certain countries because it depicts "battle of the sexes" (but that's alleged, apparently).

Monferno had not appeared in an anime episode for over 529 episodes. Its last appearance before journeys was a Flashback episode with Flint. This means Monferno was absent from the main series anime for over a decade.

The Bicker the Better is banned in certain countries because it depicts "battle of the sexes" (but that's alleged, apparently).

Monferno had not appeared in an anime episode for over 529 episodes. Its last appearance before journeys was a Flashback episode with Flint. This means Monferno was absent from the main series anime for over a decade.
Yeah I remember hearing it about it getting banned in Aruba. Earthquake and Magnitude have no longer been used in the anime since the 2004 Sendai earthquakes which is a real bummer.

Earthquake and Magnitude have no longer been used in the anime since the 2004 Sendai earthquakes which is a real bummer.
Same with Fissure. Fortunately Bulldoze has been able to circumvent that ban by having been introduced later. Tectonic Rage also has a somewhat similar animation.

How does being introduced later allow Bulldoze and Tectonic Rage to circumvent the ban?
It's an assumption. Why Bulldoze, Earth Power, and Tectonic Rage are immune to the Earthquake Ban is kind of unclear, but they're rarely used in the show anyways, so they're probably still affected by the ban somewhat. My personal guess is that they're not considered as egregious references to real life earthquakes as the outright banned moves are, but this is obviously also not confirmed.

Back
Top Bottom