• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obscure Pokémon anime trivia

Huh. Link, out of curiosity?

No joke, it also has Tara Jayne/Sands (Bulbasaur in the OS/AG dubs and I think she's reprised the role in Journeys) besides Veronica Taylor (4Kids dub Ash) with Michael Liscio Jr, Haven Paschall, and Alyson Rosenfeld (dub Clemont, Serena, and Bonnie).

They seem like they get along pretty well, which is nice to see IMO, interesting panel since Taylor hasn't done Pokemon VA work post-AG145/M08 in the Series (departed permanently after the loss of her main roles, though Stuart & Birnbaum did as well IIRC- Lillis had Maylene/Shinx, then gone, Blaustein Chatot but same as Lillis).

Last edited:

No joke, it also has Tara Jayne/Sands (Bulbasaur in the OS/AG dubs and I think she's reprised the role in Journeys) besides Veronica Taylor (4Kids dub Ash) with Michael Liscio Jr, Haven Paschall, and Alyson Rosenfeld (dub Clemont, Serena, and Bonnie).

They seem like they get along pretty well, which is nice to see IMO, interesting panel since Taylor hasn't done Pokemon VA work post-AG145/M08 in the Series (departed permanently after the loss of her main roles, though Stuart & Birnbaum did as well IIRC- Lillis had Maylene/Shinx, then gone, Blaustein Chatot but same as Lillis).
“Ash, I have something to confess… I really really like you.”

It's an assumption. Why Bulldoze, Earth Power, and Tectonic Rage are immune to the Earthquake Ban is kind of unclear, but they're rarely used in the show anyways, so they're probably still affected by the ban somewhat. My personal guess is that they're not considered as egregious references to real life earthquakes as the outright banned moves are, but this is obviously also not confirmed.
I also believe it is because they were moves created after the Earthquake thing happened, therefore, they already knew about that incident and could try to make sure these new moves wouldn't get the block that Earthquake and Fissure got in case something else happened.

I also have a personal theory that High Horsepower was created especifically because it's a move that basically cannot be axed, as it's a Ground move that, funnily enough, doesn't uses the ground itself, as it's just a Ground-powered body slam. But that's a bit off the point, tho.

I also have a personal theory that High Horsepower was created especifically because it's a move that basically cannot be axed, as it's a Ground move that, funnily enough, doesn't uses the ground itself, as it's just a Ground-powered body slam. But that's a bit off the point, tho.
You know I always thought High Horsepower felt like pointless movepool bloat (a very slightly worse Earthquake not quite worse enough to justify showing up much earlier in the game) but this might explain its existence.

Last edited:
You know I always thought High Horsepower felt like pointless movepool bloat (a very slightly worse Earthquake not quite worse enough to justify showing up much earlier in the game) but this might explain its existence.
To be somewhat fair, it also has some practical purpose in giving Ground-types strong STAB that can be freely used in Doubles without requiring their teammates to be Flying-types, have Levitate, or run Protect.

To be somewhat fair, it also has some practical purpose in giving Ground-types strong STAB that can be freely used in Doubles without requiring their teammates to be Flying-types, have Levitate, or run Protect.
Also, it doesn't gets it's damage output sliced in half by Grassy Terrain, unlike Earthquake.

I don't think many know this at all, but interestingly, the 4Kids dub used the original title card music from the Japanese Version from the Original Series EP002 all the way to their final dub episode of AG (AG145) as a cue despite changing up the images of the title cards to sync with the Japanese Version itself across their run: the list fans made of how much of the original Japanese OST each season keeps doesn't include replacing one piece of Japanese OST w/another like this, so for this Era, all the pieces that were counted were ones that were directly heard in the Japanese airing too.

You only hear the Japanese title card music for the AG Series title card in TPCi's Battle Frontier dub from AG146-192, but since 4Kids did change up the title card images to sync with the Japanese Version (they did update all the visuals for the title cards at the same time, what was so fascinating), all that changed was the font of text & music cue updated to the AG title card OST when they took over.

Pokemon Anime Sound: Episode Title
(4Kids' favorite piece of Japanese music to keep in every single episode they dubbed was this except the first which has a dub only cue, apparently, even when it wasn't in the Japanese Version they replaced one piece of Japanese OST with another for the title card- why, I don't know)

Pokemon TV Anime OST (1997-2010) - Congratulations for the Evolution (Wouldn't hear this until AG146 in the dub because 4Kids kept the former all the way until AG145 when it stopped playing in the Japanese Version in EP274)

Another tidbit: the dub of Pokemon 4Ever on DVD includes a preview of the Japanese Version's Movie 5 (Pokemon Heroes). Yes, 4Kids-- that 4Kids, the same censor happy xenophobic company ironically, actually kept a Japanese Version's Movie preview on a DVD they released (I believe in 2002, mid-Johto).

Bill Rogers (TPCI's dub Brock etc.) said he gave James Cathcart the idea for "Slaking Kong" in Season 9, and tried to have one of the episode titles be "Piplup or Shut Up!" in Season 10 but since they were worried about BS&P (Eric Stuart, his predecessor and the original English voice for the character, has said 4Kids themselves encountered this same issue while the dub was broadcast on local TV in the USA on Kids WB!, same applied to cable on CN apparently), they had to change it to "Like It or Lup It!" in Season 10 apparently.

Last edited:
More about the title card music: apparently TPCI would later keep the OS Japanese title card OST just one time in their dub, in DP002 (also replacing one piece of Japanese OST w/another!) before it would be scrapped permanently from there onward.

And sometimes the DP dub had instances where Loeffler made his own random title card music jingle though, but the same goes for the XYZ-JN dubs though from Goldfarb, apparently.

-Gou is the only left-handed companion/protagonist
-They couldn't get Volkners original back, cause he moved to London during XY
-The Dutch VAs of Ash, Misty and Brock still voice them after 25 years.
-Journeys is the first instance that acknowledges that a bathroom exist in the Pokémon World.
-In BW non of Iris or Cilans parents are mentioned.
-XY gang is the only gang who each companion has a single confirmed parent.
Both Cynthia and Clair have appeared in three series in flashbacks or real appearances
-The Mega Evolutions specials have never been dubbed in Dutch
-Iris and Gary's Dutch VAs have been replaced in Journeys
-Each member of Ash's Journeys team (not counting Pikachu) has jobbed at least once.

What episode was it?
I think JN048, where Ash needed to wash his hands. Also in JN061,where the pipe of the huge sink in Cerise laboratory broke. That room looked like a bathroom to me. They also brushed their teeth there.
JN061-765x500.jpg

Last edited:

Apparently this trailer from the Japanese Version for M07 uses 4Kids' era "Pokemon" from their 2BA Master overseas dub sing a long exclusive set soundtrack, the more you know: never knew this happened.

I know everyone knows about the Pokemon Learning League stuff from back in the old PUSA days, but apparently Japan also had some clips of the 4Kids Indigo League-Orange Islands Era dub they used to teach kids English there (not even a joke).

Last edited:
Sayuri Ichiishi (character designer for Ash/Satoshi from OS all the way to the end of AG) said the reason crossdressing James started appearing less frequently in the show was because she was told the International dubbers in general thought it was a bit inappropriate for kids to see (I thought it was pretty funny as a kid before that occurred, though I could see it).

Back
Top Bottom