• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obscure Pokémon anime trivia

Season 22's Battle Royal 151! (Episode 37 of Ultra Legends) has the largest cast of any episode of the English dub to date with a whopping total of 47 voice actors involved.

The other episodes close to that amount includes the previous episode League Offenders and Defenders! with 36 VA's, a three way tie between Battling Besties, The Battlefield of Truth and Love and Getting Down to the Ire with 35, Thank You, Alola! The Journey Continues! with 34 and another three way tie between Securing the Future, Z-Move Showdown and The Dealer of Destruction! with 33.

If you haven't guessed, all of these episodes listed are from the Sun and Moon era. Alola sure was packed indeed.

On the existence of High Horsepower, I just believe it was intended to be the signature move of Mudbray and Mudsdale. Per Occam's razor, the fewest parameters, the better.

Anyway, Tom Kenny is listed under "executive producers" in the credits for the 4Kids! dub.
I do find it interesting that High Horsepower's name parallels Thunderbolt's in Japanese (100,000 Horsepower and 100,000 Volts, respectively).

I will admit that as a SpongeBob fan I did a bit of a double-take when I first noticed that name in the Pokémon credits, but according to Maddie Blaustein in her Q&A it's a different person, and the 4Kids executive producer's name is actually spelled "Tom Kenney with an e".

Eric Stuart (4Kids dub aka Original English Brock) and Johnny Yong Bosch (Origins dub Brock) actually have worked on something together before, a show called Three Delivery that aired on Nicktoons in the US (IDK where it aired if it did, in Canada (probably YTV?), Australia, and the UK but...): think of it as the LA and NY VA pools working together before they generally did in dubs-- just for a cartoon. Both of them also have music bands, interestingly.
The show was recorded by NYAV Post, a studio based in New York and Los Angeles and this was one of the first few shows to use the new LA studio as most of the earlier NYAV dubs that featured LA or even Texas guests tended to be for just one or two episodes.

Quite a few other familiar faces were in the show too.

Last edited:
That reminds me: there's one project I'm aware of that Sarah Natochenny and Veronica Taylor starred alongside each other in and it's the English dub of the Chinese animated movie Bonta, titled Axel: The Biggest Little Hero.

You can clearly even hear both of their voices (and yes, they're similar to the ones they each used for Ash) in this trailer: Sarah Natochenny at 0:15 and Veronica Taylor at 1:14.

Also starring are a few other New York-based voice actors that all played major roles on Pokémon themselves (Marc Thompson, Alyson Leigh Rosenfeld, Rebecca Soler) and some huge Los Angeles-based names from both the voice acting and on-camera acting scenes (Yuri Lowenthal, Colleen O'Shaughnessey, Kate Higgins, the late Ed Asner, Tim Curry, Matthew Lillard and George Takei).

That reminds me: there's one project I'm aware of that Sarah Natochenny and Veronica Taylor starred alongside each other in and it's the English dub of the Chinese animated movie Bonta, titled Axel: The Biggest Little Hero.

You can clearly even hear both of their voices (and yes, they're similar to the ones they each used for Ash) in this trailer: Sarah Natochenny at 0:15 and Veronica Taylor at 1:14.
Interesting.

Also starring are a few other New York-based voice actors that all played major roles on Pokémon themselves (Marc Thompson, Alyson Leigh Rosenfeld, Rebecca Soler) and some huge Los Angeles-based names from both the voice acting and on-camera acting scenes (Yuri Lowenthal, Colleen O'Shaughnessey, Kate Higgins, the late Ed Asner, Tim Curry, Matthew Lillard and George Takei).

Wtf are those characters though
I totally heard those voices in Ash’s voice!

Yeah and while not always it seems like there is more of a mingling of voice pools as time goes on.

Goh's VA Zeno Robinson for example having taken part in various US toons with LA actors starting way back with Ben 10 Alien Force to Amphibia, Young Justice and The Owl House to name a few.

Pokémon Thailand has uploaded some DP epsiodes on their official youtube channel. I've checked some of them and, interestingly, DP093 uses the Japanese opening, while DP116 uses the English opening.

EDIT: I've also noticed that the former uses the Japanese music and Pokémon verses, while the latter uses the English ones. I don't know the details about the Thai dub production, but the situation looks a bit confusing to me.

Last edited:
Like his Japanese and English names, Ash's French name (Sacha) originated as one of Red's default names in the French version of the Pokémon Red and Blue games. According to the French localizer at the time, Julien Bardakoff, he wanted to name his son this, but to this day he has yet to actually have a child.

(Also, if the name Julien Bardakoff sounds familiar to you, you might also know him from his voice work as Luigi in the first two Mario Party games, as well as Mario Kart: Super Circuit and the Japanese version of Mario Kart 64.)

Like his Japanese and English names, Ash's French name (Sacha) originated as one of Red's default names in the French version of the Pokémon Red and Blue games. According to the French localizer at the time, Julien Bardakoff, he wanted to name his son this, but to this day he has yet to actually have a child.

(Also, if the name Julien Bardakoff sounds familiar to you, you might also know him from his voice work as Luigi in the first two Mario Party games, as well as Mario Kart: Super Circuit and the Japanese version of Mario Kart 64.)

That’s sad.

John Loeffler (the main dub composer at the time) wanted to reuse the opening for the first season of the Black & White series for the next season (Rival Destinies) as well, possibly rearranged and with a different singer, but TPCi wanted him to compose a new opening for each season.

Back
Top Bottom