• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obscure Pokémon anime trivia

You know, this actually makes me wonder: could this be because they're scared of doing it and giving more fuel to the "X-eon is the best eevolution and Y-eon is the worst one!" fight that has never died out? :unsure:
I've never heard of this fight (aside from Flareon near universally not being considered on any of its peers' level due to its poor stat optimization and movepool for years) and I highly doubt that's the reason given the other notable matchups they have done, such as various Starter Pokémon battling each other in different capacities.

It probably has more to do with the fact that Ash has never been allowed to have an Eeveelution and his peers sporadically use theirs in battle if at all.

I've never heard of this fight (aside from Flareon near universally not being considered on any of its peers' level due to its poor stat optimization and movepool for years) and I highly doubt that's the reason given the other notable matchups they have done, such as various Starter Pokémon battling each other in different capacities.
Speaking as a hardcore Eeveelution fan, I can confirm that the fight does (or at least did) indeed exist... HOWEVER, it has nothing to do with battle prowess: Flareon fans are perfectly aware that their favorite Eeveelution is the weakest one competitively, it's just that their reasons for liking it have nothing to do with how good it is in battle (and Flareon is actually quite decent in several in-game playthroughs). No, the Eeveelution fights are actually just people clashing over differences in preferences in aesthetics and, believe it or not, shipping debates, since EeveelutionXEeveelution pairings are quite popular, but people prefer certain pairings over others (EspeonXUmbreon is by far the most popular Eeveelution ship, but plenty of other fans prefer Espeon and Umbreon being paired with other Eeveelutions and that can sometimes cause fans to butt heads). Granted, it's been a good while since I have even seen these fights, so things might have cooled down thanks to fans maturing, but when I was younger discussions could get incredibly heated.

EDIT: However, the biggest debate regarding the Eeveelutions is and always will be "What kind of animal are they supposed to be anyway?"

Last edited:
Based on this old poster from 1999, there may have been plans to let Ash's Bulbasaur evolve at some point before it was decided to let it stay unevolved. Which could mean that Bulbasaur's Mysterious Garden was probably originally intended to be just a temporary delay of evolution, instead of a permanent cancellation.

Based on this old poster from 1999, there may have been plans to let Ash's Bulbasaur evolve at some point before it was decided to let it stay unevolved. Which could mean that Bulbasaur's Mysterious Garden was probably originally intended to be just a temporary delay of evolution, instead of a permanent cancellation.

Pidgeotto instead of Pidgeot…

This inspired me to do what if Ash kept the same team every region?

Another interesting thing about this is that Tauros was supposed to be a permanent team member, but the changes probably impacted other decisions.

Like Ash might never have gotten Muk or Snorlax if Venusaur would have evolved and Tauros being a permanent member

Another interesting thing about this is that Tauros was supposed to be a permanent team member, but the changes probably impacted other decisions.

Like Ash might never have gotten Muk or Snorlax if Venusaur would have evolved and Tauros being a permanent member
Ash would probably still have a rotation. He’d keep everyone and Butterfree would come back to him
Anyways the thing that sticks out is Pidgeotto not evolving which is really strange

Considering how late Pidgeotto evolved, I don't find it strange Pidgeot wasn't featured in the poster.
You're not wrong and I agree with you, but there's also the fact that Pidgeotto appeared as a Pidgeot in the season 1 Japanese opening right from episode 1, even fighting a Fearow in it, like it would go on to do in its evolution/release episode.

You're not wrong and I agree with you, but there's also the fact that Pidgeotto appeared as a Pidgeot in the season 1 Japanese opening right from episode 1, even fighting a Fearow in it, like it would go on to do in its evolution/release episode.
Didn't know that. It kinda kills my theory unless they were from different development stages, but that would be kinda unlikely.

As of the latest episode in Japan, Leon's Charizard has used a total of 18 different moves. The only individual Pokémon to have used more moves in the anime is Ash's Pikachu, and it has taken him seven series to use one more than what Leon's Charizard has used in a single series.

James’s Chimecho is the only Pokémon from Team Rocket that has never battled Ash.

Additionally, James’s Morpeko is the only Pokémon from Team Rocket (excluding Growlie or temporaries) that has never been sent blasting off.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom