• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obscure Pokémon anime trivia

Wasn't there also that early Journeys episode with Ash and Goh brushing their teeth? I forget which one. Off the top of my head, there's also the first Sabrina episode where Ash sees a doll in a bathtub and gets embarrassed, thinking it was a person.

This piece of Movie 2 OST that was replaced in the English dub of the Movie, was kept in AG065 during Season 7 of the original Pokémon English dub 4Kids did: very shocking since this is from a film they didn't keep the score for, and during a time music replacements got more prevalent in the Anime.

The very first time the English dub of Pokemon in the main Anime replaced every single piece of Japanese OST in an episode was in the final episode of TPCi's dub of Sun & Moon with 0% retained, a level of suck never reached by 4Kids ever. We're bringing back the old thread lately on how much OST was kept in the PokeAni dub @Dogasu if you want to check it out sometime but with commentary, folks, @snowmint you'll find this interesting too.

Last edited:

The SS Aqua theme is surprisingly only heard in the 4Kids dub of Pokemon in the English run, kept a total of 5 times (4 times in Johto, 1 time in Hoenn). The last time is in Season 7 after they took the dub in-house, surprisingly, in the episode "A Double Dilemma" in mid-Hoenn.

TPCi's dub never kept this piece in Diamond & Pearl, believe it or not, in either of the 2 instances it played originally there: this is a specific piece of the original Japanese soundtrack only retained in the original English dub's run, not kept in the current English dub's run.

4Kids kept Going to Latios from Movie 5 in the instances it played in the Anime run more in their dub, than TPCi when it played, as well.

As 4Kids kept using the same title card piece of OST from the Japanese Version of the Original Series from EP002-AG145, even after it stopped playing in the Japanese Version after EP276 & it would take until AG146 before TPCI would change the title card music to the one that played originally, the piece of Japanese OST kept most in the entire English dub is:

(It would play only one more time in DP002 dubbed, also wasn't played originally in Japanese there, and is the only time TPCi ever used this piece post-switch in some form)

The only time you can hear the Hoenn Contest theme is later on in TPCi's dub of Battle Frontier near the end (even they didn't keep it at first): 4Kids didn't like that one at all apparently, on the flip side.

Last edited:
I've read somewhere that TPCi blacklisted Sean Schemmel, is it true?

I've read somewhere that TPCi blacklisted Sean Schemmel, is it true?
He’s still around, untrue, but Schemmel did get pissed at TPCi for not casting him in the Volcanion dub Movie iirc and criticized them at length for that.

Some trivia: AG001-AG002 dubbed were recorded at TAJ initially for the sneak preview episodes, then at 4Kids in house later in the Series’ run proper and the latter version is where you hear Veronica Taylor’s improved May voice. The music was changed by TAJ, not 4Kids, in those episodes originally. All the in house episodes 4Kids dubbed kept more OST than those two for the remainder of Season 6.

He’s still around, untrue, but Schemmel did get pissed at TPCi for not casting him in the Volcanion dub Movie iirc and criticized them at length for that.
Probably because he played Alva in the trailer for the movie, if I remember correctly. I don't know why they didn't cast him for the role, since he's played villains in Pokemon before (Archie, Cyrus, Grings Kodai.)

Back
Top Bottom