• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obscure Pokémon game trivia

That much is easy to find out. But what is not as commonly known AFAIK is where Leon accidentally wound up. A student at the Master Dojo reveals that while looking for a way to either of the towers, Leon accidentally wound up in Postwick. Postwick. Which is located on Galar mainland.
At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up cameoing in BDSP...

I was perusing Bulbapedia the other day and I happened to notice that Pokémon Blue (Japanese)'s page was recently updated to state that there was a second run of mail order applications for the game in 1997, from June 13 to August 31. The information is sourced and there's apparently even a TV commercial for the second distribution, which astonishes me, because until now I'd never heard of a second distribution of the game at all, and at least from what my Googling efforts tell me, no one else in the English-speaking world seems to have heard of it, either. The Japanese version of Pokémon Blue has always just been listed (even on the official Nintendo and Pokémon websites) as having been initially "released" on October 15, 1996 -- which isn't technically true, as that's just when the issue of CoroCoro that announced the distribution was released and the application period began (with it ending on December 27) -- and then eventually put out for general retail purchase on October 10, 1999. Knowledge of this 1997 distribution seems quite obscure indeed.

In Alolan Raichu's Ultra Sun Pokédex entry, it's stated that it's also called "hodad". That is pretty easy to spot, but less obvious is what the word "hodad" means. It's a 1950's slang word meaning someone who is not a surfer. Ouch...

Hoenn is currently the only region where Eevee is absent from the regional dex.
Ghost/Poison, Poison/Flying, and Poison/Ground are currently the only type combinations that have not been used since the first gen or evolutionary relatives of first gen Pokemon. If Galarian forms counted then Ice/Psychic would also be on this list.
Ice/Psychic wouldn’t because of Calyrex Ice Rider

In Alolan Raichu's Ultra Sun Pokédex entry, it's stated that it's also called "hodad". That is pretty easy to spot, but less obvious is what the word "hodad" means. It's a 1950's slang word meaning someone who is not a surfer. Ouch...
To be fair...it doesn't exactly surf on water. It just kind of floats above it using it's mind.

Currently Gardenia is the only Gym Leader to use a starter Pokemon.
If you count Pikachu, then Lt. Surge and Wattson use one too. But either way, Blue uses a Mega Charizard Y after he takes over Viridian Gym in LGPE.

Additionally, Misty uses a Blastoise on her PWT team while Erika uses Venusaur, Blaine uses Charizard, Flannery uses Blaziken, and Crasher Wake uses an Empoleon.

If you count Pikachu, then Lt. Surge and Wattson use one too. But either way, Blue uses a Mega Charizard Y after he takes over Viridian Gym in LGPE.

Additionally, Misty uses a Blastoise on her PWT team while Erika uses Venusaur, Blaine uses Charizard, Flannery uses Blaziken, and Crasher Wake uses an Empoleon.
More accurate would probably be to say that Gardenia is the only Gym Leader to use a starter Pokémon in a Gym battle.

Some weird rival Pokémon trivia:
  • Blue is the only character to have been a rival, a Champion, and a Gym Leader; the only Gym Leader whose name matches his Badge (in Japanese: Green and Green Badge); and the only Gym Leader to use a full team of Pokémon during a Gym battle.
  • In the Johto games, when the rival battled in the Goldenrod Tunnel, if the player's starter Pokémon was Chikorita, the rival's starter isn't fully evolved yet. With any other starter choice, his starter is fully evolved by this point.
  • In HeartGold and SoulSilver, during the aforementioned battle, if the player's starter choice was Cyndaquil, his Pokémon are two levels lower than they would be if any other starter was chosen.
  • In Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald, May and Brendan are the only rivals who never fully evolve their starter Pokémon.
  • May and Brendan are also the only rivals who can't be rematched an unlimited amount of times.
  • In Platinum, Barry's starter can potentially grow up to level 85. The only NPC Pokémon outside of a battle facility that's on a higher level is Red's level 88 Pikachu in HeartGold and SoulSilver. This makes Barry the strongest rival in any game in terms of levels.
  • In Pokémon Masters EX, Barry reveals why he keeps trying to fine people: he wants to use the money to build his own Battle Tower and challenge his father there, since he can never reach him at the Sinnoh Battle Tower.
  • In Black and White, if the player manages to beat Bianca in the first battle without taking any damage, Cheren will make a comment about it. In practice, this line of dialogue is almost impossible to trigger.
  • In Black and White, during the battle outside Twist Mountain, Cheren's starter Pokémon is exactly one level away from evolving.
  • In Sun and Moon, Hau has an Eevee in his party by the time the player reaches Diglett's Tunnel. However, it is only an Eevee as a Multi Battle partner that's not the first Pokémon sent out, so it's not guaranteed to be seen. In Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, Hau uses Eevee in the Paniola Town battle, so it's guaranteed to be seen.
  • In Sun and Moon, if the player's starter was Rowlet, Hau's Primarina has the chance of targeting your Pokémon with Hydro Vortex. Could be because Primarina knows Sparkling Aria, which can be beneficial for the ally Pokémon under correct circumstances.
  • In Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, if the player's starter was Rowlet, Hau's Raichu will know Thunderbolt during the Aether Paradise Multi Battles. In other cases, it knows Electro Ball instead. In Sun and Moon, it always knows Thunderbolt in these battles, regardless of the starter chosen.
  • Also in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, Hau's Pokémon actually grow by a level during the Aether Paradise infiltration.
  • In Sword and Shield, if you chose Grookey, Hop's Cramorant's level will be one level lower than otherwise when battled at Stow-on-Side.

Bug and Rock are the only two types to not have a Pokemon of them appear on the cover of a main series game.
Byron and Roark's gyms are both next to mines. Roark (the younger of the two) is next to an active mine (Oreburg Mine) while Byron (the older of the two) is next to an abandoned mine (Iron Island). They also both use members of the Onix line and their aces are the fossil Pokemon of Sinnoh.
The Hoenn Dex is the only regional dex to lack the Eevee family in any incarnation.
Gordie is the only version exclusive Gym Leader in Galar who's G-Max Pokemon is a Galar Pokemon (Coalossol). The rest of the version exclusive Gym Leaders G-Max Kanto Pokemon.
Janine is the only Kanto Gym Leader to give out a TM (TM06) in GSC. In HGSS all Kanto Gym Leaders give out TMs.
Wallace is the only Gym Leader who gives out in HM upon defeat instead of a TM.
Lana is the only major character in Sun & Moon who is only battled once, and alongside Nanu, Mina, Ilima, and Lusamine, are the only major trainers in Sun & Moon who cannot be rematched an infinite amount of times.

The Rattata line is the only "regional Normal type" that has two different ways to evolve into Raticate due to the introduction of its Alolan Form: Kantoinan evolves at Lv20 while Alolan evolves at Lv20 at night.

Speaking of Raticate, it is the first fully evolved Mon to be placed in the Untiered category twice in the same Gen, again due to the introduction of its Alolan Form.

Wait, seriously?? How did I never know this haha
Also, if you choose Brendan as your player character, May will have a doll in her room in the later part of the game. I can't remember exactly when she puts it there, but when you go talk to her in her room after the post-game you will find that she placed a doll. You can't take it since its her decoration, though.

I can't remember if the same happens for Brendan's room if you choose May as your player character.

Back
Top Bottom