• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obscure Pokémon game trivia

But not every plant is safe to interact with, either, shouldn't Grass be included as well? And since the Dark type is the "Evil type" in Japanese, I'm not sure literal darkness is necessarily the reason for the matchup, either.

But not every plant is safe to interact with, either, shouldn't Grass be included as well? And since the Dark type is the "Evil type" in Japanese, I'm not sure literal darkness is necessarily the reason for the matchup, either.
You know, I feel like this discussion deserves its own thread. Just so we are not derailing the topic of this thread.

Grass and plants, in general, aren't unknown or fear-inducing. Only certain types of them are. And Dark's advantage over Psychic could also be based on the fear of evil.

Some people are afraid of Water/Water dwelling creatures or drowning. So why isn't Water weak to Psychic

Or Fire.

Or Ice.
Psychic's weaknesses are probably the things most commonly associated with fear. And Psychic can't be weak against everything.

Apparently someone in Gen 1 says that Psychic-types only fear Ghosts (oops) and Bugs. That's probably where this theory came from.
That, and we also later got the Ability Rattled, which is activated by those same types. It boosts the user's speed, like a fear boosts your adrenaline production.

Also fun fact: they actually removed the Ghost reference in Yellow after realizing the glitch.

Did you know that the mainland Galar region is divided up into four distinct provinces?
  • The Rondelands, which includes Wyndon. The symbol for this province is a crown.
  • The Auldlands, which includes Hammerlocke, Stow-on-Side, Ballonlea, Circhester, and Spikemuth. The symbol for this province is a castle.
  • The Middelands, which includes Motostoke, Turffield, and Hulbury. The symbol for this province is a gear.
  • The Feldlands, which includes Postwick and Wedgehurst. The symbol for this province is a flower.
How do we know all of this? Well, the presentation of this stuff is pretty subtle, but it’s all there in the game. Firstly, we can deduce the names of the provinces thanks to a set of novelty T-shirts that you can purchase if you have the Expansion Pass. Each shirt depicts a cartoon mascot based off of each province’s symbol - crown, castle, gear, flower - and the subtitle for each shirt provides the corresponding province name (Festive Feldlands, Middelands March, Auldlands Amble, and Ramblin’ Rondelands - though we actually knew “Rondelands” ever since the base game, since it’s in the name of Rose’s hotel).

Secondly, we can tell which towns belong to which provinces by looking at their respective signs - you know, the big blue signs that display the town’s name and motto. If you look closely, you can see that at the top of each sign, there’s an emblem depicting one of the four symbols, which indicates which province that town is considered to be a part of. The four provinces also correspond to what you could consider the four “phases” of the game: the introduction (Feldlands, which is everything before your first Wild Area visit), the early game (Middelands, which encompasses the Turffield-Hulbury-Motostoke circuit, at the end of which you receive a send-off from the Gym Leaders and embark on your second Wild Area visit), the mid-game (Auldlands, which encompasses Hammerlocke and its east and west “wings”), and the endgame (Rondelands, with everything big that goes down in Wyndon). In a way, this reminds me somewhat of how the progression across Alola was broken up, albeit a little less complex.

Lastly, you can get a clearer look at the symbols for each province by traveling to Circhester - they’re all depicted on the flags displayed on the outside walls of Hotel Ionia.

Last edited:
In Black, White, Black 2, and White 2, there's a building in Castelia City that's housing a party on an upper floor, with a bodyguard checking the player before letting them enter the elevator. An interesting detail is that he will only frisk the player character before letting them through if they're male. If the player character is female, he will just immediately say they're good to go and let player character through. This is most likely done to avoid any unfortunate implications.

Since I play with only male player characters, I had never realized this before. I don't know if it is well-known by you folks, but I found out that the player character's house in Hoenn games change depending on your gender. I always thought they would give the right house to your rival and your house is the one on the left, but nope. It is your gender that determines which house is yours.

Pokédex entries for Dugtrio contradict through the games.
  • Some entries claim that a Dugtrio is in fact just a triplet of Diglett, although others claim that Dugtrio has merged from a single Diglett.
  • Some entries claim that Dugtrio's heads are connected to one single body, while some others claim that each head is separated from another.
  • Some entries claim that three heads of a Dugtrio think exactly the same, and therefore they work in cooperation. But some entries claim that sometimes a huge fight breaks out.

Last edited:
If you want to know about agonies, there is a chance for an uncatchable Pokemon to be shiny. Whether that would be Wally's Ralts, Ghost Marowak, Juniper's Minccino, the Weedle the Old Man catches or even Black/White Kyurem.

In the Hoenn games, it's stated that only Champions are allowed into the Hall of Fame. Despite this, Professor Oak and Professor Rowan have been seen entering the Hall of Fame with the player. With Professor Oak, there's the theory that he used to be a Champion, which is supported by his unused team in Generation I and him actually being one in the Pokémon Adventures manga. But what about Professor Rowan?

Also in relation to the Hall of Fame, in Unova, each Pokémon's Hall of Fame entry has a background that reflects their primary type. If I'm not mistaken, this would mean that the only way to see the Flying-type background is to use Tornadus.

Last edited:
In Sinnoh games, during your first battle with your starter Pokémon to a wild Starly, if your Pokémon's HP goes to the red zone, Starly will flee. If, however, your Pokémon's HP goes to 0 from yellow zone, the game will freeze, and you will have to restart the game.
Same thing happens with the Poochyena/Zigzagoon you fight in the Hoenn games.

In the Hoenn games, it's stated that only Champions are allowed into the Hall of Fame. Despite this, Professor Oak and Professor Rowan have been seen entering the Hall of Fame with the player. With Professor Oak, there's the theory that he used to be a Champion, which is supported by his unused team in Generation I and him actually being one in the Pokémon Adventures manga. But what about Professor Rowan?

I always just figured that the Hall of Fame restriction was simply waived for certain, highly reputable professionals like Professors (and perhaps not even all of them, just the most esteemed/well-connected). I think back to that email you can read on Prof. Oak’s computer from League HQ inviting him to come visit. If you’ve got cred like “the ultimate authority on Pokémon,” I think the League would be more than happy to let you tour the place.

Also in relation to the Hall of Fame, in Unova, each Pokémon's Hall of Fame entry has a background that reflects their primary type. If I'm not mistaken, this would mean that the only way to see the Flying-type background is to use Tornadus.

Sky Plate Arceus should also work, I think.

I always just figured that the Hall of Fame restriction was simply waived for certain, highly reputable professionals like Professors (and perhaps not even all of them, just the most esteemed/well-connected). I think back to that email you can read on Prof. Oak’s computer from League HQ inviting him to come visit. If you’ve got cred like “the ultimate authority on Pokémon,” I think the League would be more than happy to let you tour the place.
That's actually a pretty good possibility. Professor Birch didn't join the player to the Hall of Fame in Hoenn, but I suppose he simply could've decided not to.
Sky Plate Arceus should also work, I think.
True. Didn't consider that. But overall, seeing that background is not easy.

Back
Top Bottom