• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obscure Pokémon game trivia

Well this surely qualifies:

Edit: Worth applying some context -

So it's not strictly a "+Speed Nature = faster animation thing" (especially since I've seen others on Twitter note that -Speed Natures have the same effect), but still, the fact that there's this little variable in there at all is an interesting obscure detail.

Last edited:
Wow I just discovered the fact that you can evolve a Pikachu if you use a Growlithe in battle.

The fact that Swift in Gen 1 never misses even against Pokémon who use Fly or Dig

Each of the Gyms in Black 2 and White 2 had different versions of the gym theme depending which Gym you were in, fitting in with the typing each Gym Leader specialize in, Cheren's Gym was the only one with the theme from the prequel's Gym theme. Also, the gym guide gives you a Fresh Water if you talk to him the first time before defeating the Gym Leader.

Last edited:
Although there's no way to remove the Y-Comm icon during gameplay in Sword and Shield, I've discovered that there is a way to stop it from appearing on your screenshots.

If you press Y, then press the screenshot button a split second later, the screenshot is taken in the brief moment after the icon disappears and before the Y-Comm menu opens. It takes a bit of practice, but it works!

Apparently, Hitomi Sato received inspiration for composing the Battle Arcade theme from Pokémon Platinum based on the belly dance classes she was taking at the time. I found this out from a YouTube comment, which said they found out the information from somewhere on Twitter.

It was recommended by another user that I share this information in this thread.

19 of the 40 films at Pokéstar Studios have hidden dialogue that can be activated by using a certain move.
The films and their respective moves are as follows:

Brycen-Man Strikes Back 2: Thief
Full Metal Cop 3: False Swipe
Invaders 2: Gravity
Big Monster 3: Giga Impact
Big Monster 4: Ember
Timegate Traveler 1: Future Sight
Timegate Traveler 3: Future Sight
Love and Battles 1: Attract
Love and Battles 2: Attract
Love and Battles 3: Attract
Mystery Doors of the Magical Land 2: Substitute
The Giant Woman 3: Fusion Flare, Fusion Bolt, or Glaciate
The Giant Woman 4: Hyper Beam
Red Fog of Terror 3: Defog
Everlasting Memories 1: Tackle
Everlasting Memories 2: Beat Up
Everlasting Memories 3: Charge Beam
Ghost Eraser 3: Foresight
Ghost Eraser 4: Swords Dance

The hidden dialogue does not seem to have any additional effect on their films and can be activated regardless of the ending you reach. However, you cannot trigger the dialogue if you use the move during a scene that ends in a choice of dialogue. Using the move on the same scene that the film ends also doesn't work.

This information was uncovered in collaboration with Reddit users TheHellHamster, Sayse, and CountScarlioni.

Mystery Doors of the Magical Land 2: Substitute
Full Metal Cop 3: False Swipe
I previously only knew of these two. Dang. When I'll play either Black 2 or White 2 the next time, I'll have you try out more of these.

The Substitute one is actually quite touching. Using it makes the Plush Toy realize that he's the main character's long-lost brother, although he doesn't say it out loud.

The Substitute one is actually quite touching. Using it makes the Plush Toy realize that he's the main character's long-lost brother, although he doesn't say it out loud.

The special event in Ghost Eraser 4 reveals that the Majin of Mayhem is angry at humanity for betraying him because they trapped his beloved.

Today I learned that in Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers...
later dungeons are filled with various species of Pokémon (with forms like Shellos or Burmy counting as separate species). However, the game will pick only 14 each time, with the unpicked spawn rate rolling over to whichever picked Pokémon is next in the internal list. Most of the time this mechanic does not matter, but there are certain species that are incredibly hard to recruit unless one exploits this in their favor.
...At least, according to TV Tropes. Does anyone know how true this is? Because I'd like to know more.

The Heal Ball shares its color scheme with the Pokemon Audino, possibly hinting that they were originally supposed to be introduced in the same generation. They also share the healing gimmick/concept as well.

The Heal Ball shares its color scheme with the Pokemon Audino, possibly hinting that they were originally supposed to be introduced in the same generation. They also share the healing gimmick/concept as well.
It's probably a coincidence. Audino was designed to be a companion for Nurse Joy in the anime once they decided that the main story would only have Gen 5 Pokémon.

Back
Top Bottom