• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obscure Pokémon game trivia

I remembered something else really random that most people don't seem to know about.

I don't know if it applies to other games, but in HGSS, on the screen where you enter your name, if you press start without entering anything, it gives you a random name. I mostly bring it up because I've watched a few speedruns and they all enter a one character name and I would think the start method would be quicker.

Edit: actually; having a one character name probably saves more time in the long run from text scroll, so never mind.

Last edited:
It's possible for a move to do 0 damage.

In order for this happen, the move has deal so much damage that it overflows back to zero. It's very hard to find this happening "in the wild" but situations can be constructed for that.

I think Level 1 Snom vs. Level 99 Charizard is one such situation.

I remembered something else really random that most people don't seem to know about.

I don't know if it applies to other games, but in HGSS, on the screen where you enter your name, if you press start without entering anything, it gives you a random name. I mostly bring it up because I've watched a few speedruns and they all enter a one character name and I would think the start method would be quicker.

Edit: actually; having a one character name probably saves more time in the long run from text scroll, so never mind.
It's there from RGB IIRC. Bulbapedia even has a list of potential names.

It's possible for a move to do 0 damage.

In order for this happen, the move has deal so much damage that it overflows back to zero. It's very hard to find this happening "in the wild" but situations can be constructed for that.

I think Level 1 Snom vs. Level 99 Charizard is one such situation.
Do you have a source for this claim? It certainly doesn’t apply in the Snom vs Charizard situation.

In Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald, there's a 1 in 64 chance of seeing a Hiker, Camper or Picnicker on the side of Mt. Chimney while you ride the Cable Car. I did NOT know this until very recently. And I was shocked to see a Hiker there. (i.e. "How have I MISSED that??")

In Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald, there's a 1 in 64 chance of seeing a Hiker, Camper or Picnicker on the side of Mt. Chimney while you ride the Cable Car. I did NOT know this until very recently. And I was shocked to see a Hiker there. (i.e. "How have I MISSED that??")

I didn't know the actual odds of seeing the NPC there. I thought it was much lower since I've only seen the Hiker one time back in 2004 I think even though I've ridden the cable car over 100 times in total. :s

I didn't know the actual odds of seeing the NPC there. I thought it was much lower since I've only seen the Hiker one time back in 2004 I think even though I've ridden the cable car over 100 times in total. :s
I think the place you both are thinking of is technically Jagged Pass. I should probably double check some stuff and add it as a note to that page since the Cable car is passing over Jagged Pass to Mt. Chimney or Route 112. I recall seeing Campers and Picknickers a few times when I used to play SE heavily, had no idea at the time it was a rng based at all til I saw a video on it by a PokeTuber this past year. Think it was The JWittz or Dobbs that pointed it out.

In Pokémon Emerald, one of each eligible Legendary Pokémon is used amongst the Frontier Brains, excluding Noland's potential rentals. Brandon has the Legendary titans and Legendary birds; Anabel has Raikou, Entei, and Latios; Tucker has Latias; and Spenser has Suicune.

The Japanese site (unfortunately, only the Japanese site) has put up a page containing lots of trivia from all across the series. If you can read Japanese or can decipher Google Translate, it's a fun little feature.

One thing I found neat was that according to a survey they conducted, the fastest record for the full-distance Rotom Rally (that is, from the Wild Area Station to Hammerlocke Hills) in SwSh is 107.22 seconds.

Also, do you know what Rhyhorn, Corsola, Swablu, Gabite, Darmanitan, Vivillon, Togedemaru and Zacian all have in common? Their National Pokédex numbers are all triplicates of a single digit - 111, 222, 333, 444, 555, 666, 777, and 888, respectively!

The Japanese site (unfortunately, only the Japanese site) has put up a page containing lots of trivia from all across the series. If you can read Japanese or can decipher Google Translate, it's a fun little feature.

I checked this website and the trivia are things most people already knows. There're some basic stuff such as there're other Rocket members outside of Trio, Pikachu didn't like Satoshi at first, more than one Pikachu (other than Satoshi's) with distinctive traits appeared, etc...

But there're also interesting information like revealing that Satoshi's Pikachu have won 68 official battles (gyms and World Championships) in total until the episode that aired on January 29th (サトシのピカチュウの公式戦勝利数は?).

In gen V, if you're on a pokemon's summary page, you can put the stylus on the pokemon, and drawing in certain ways will do things: up and down or left and right will make it jump around, and if you draw big circles really fast, the pokemon will start to "float" upward.

Lol I think back in the day when gen V was new, I got bulbapedia to update their party screen page with this information. It's still there :cool:

Also, do you know what Rhyhorn, Corsola, Swablu, Gabite, Darmanitan, Vivillon, Togedemaru and Zacian all have in common? Their National Pokédex numbers are all triplicates of a single digit - 111, 222, 333, 444, 555, 666, 777, and 888, respectively!
It even matches their respective generations' numbers! (I remember when people wanted Pokémon #666 to be an evolution of Houndoom based on Cerberus.)

It even matches their respective generations' numbers! (I remember when people wanted Pokémon #666 to be an evolution of Houndoom based on Cerberus.)

Indeed! Though, I suspect Gen 9 will break that streak. We need 101 more Pokémon to get to #999, and the smaller waves we’ve been getting with each generation make it unlikely that we’ll hit that mark in one go.

Back
Top Bottom