• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obscure Pokémon game trivia

Damn most people already said the ones that I was gonna point out. :p I guess I'll just say that a Yungoos and a young trainer appear in Hau'oli city near the tourist bureau building in S/M but they can't actually be interacted with - they were removed in US/UM iirc.

This threw me for a loop, because - okay, you have to understand, I talk to EVERY Npc. Not just on first go, either - every time I play. So when I read this, I thought I had entered into some proper Mandela effect stuff. How could I not know this? Surely I’d have tried to interact with that person and noticed that they didn’t say anything, and surely I’d notice their absence in USUM, especially since I love to pinpoint the little differences between SM and USUM?

I booted up my game to investigate, and then it made sense - the Trainer and their Yungoos are fenced off (and next to City Hall, not the Tourist Bureau - and for some reason I misread your post and thought it said Marina, so I spent a good while looking, lol). Upon spotting them, I felt like I had actually noticed them before, but then never really put much thought into it. I definitely didn’t realize their absence in USUM.

Good stuff!

Here’s another minor one along similar lines: In SM, at the Malie Community Center, there’s a whiteboard in the room with the Probopass (the room where you can receive a set of weather rocks). The whiteboard talks about some weather strategies, including using moves to change the weather, and lists: Drought, Rain Dance, Sandstorm, and Hail. But obviously, Drought is an Ability. They meant to say Sunny Day. :p (They fixed it in USUM.)

I know, the same thing happened with Mother 3 recently... while making like the sixth(?) translation of it (this time in Italian). Too bad Pokémon games have been mostly documented...
Good thing this franchise keeps pumping out new games to dig through. The demos are also some other nice things that have started to surface over the last few years.

I have played Heartgold and Soul Silver MANY times. I have never known that.

Well you would've had to have gone through a lot of trouble to discover that secret since it's a pretty complicated thing to pull off since you gotta go to Cianwood and only have one Pokemon and not many players have done that.

But it's still weird that it's a recent discovery because wasn't all the text and script of HGSS datamined when the games leaked/released?

Gyarados' moveset got overhauled very significantly between Red/Blue and Yellow--probably more than anyone other than Pikachu (who underwent hilarious movepool inflation in Yellow that stayed until later games brought more Pokémon up to the same level). In R/B it had Dragon Rage and Hydro Pump as level 1 moves--this means Blue's is pretty scary at Lavender Town, and in fact it's moveset remains constant in every battle with Blue until the league, when it replaces Bite with Hyper Beam. There was no way for the player to take advantage of this, since there were no wild Gyarados and no move relearner.
Then Yellow made wild Gyarados available to the player and they redid Gyarados moveset to a more normal one.

In FireRed and LeafGreen, when you first arrive on Four Island during the post-game, Blue will briefly meet you as you exit the port, telling you about Pokémon Eggs, and then leaving. Then you can meet him again at the Six Island Pokémon Center.

However, if you actually go and visit the Six Island Pokémon Center first, Blue will not appear on Four Island. And it actually makes sense, given that on Four Island, he expresses his surprise at seeing you on the Sevii Islands as well, which wouldn't make sense for him to say if he's already seen you there.

But it's still weird that it's a recent discovery because wasn't all the text and script of HGSS datamined when the games leaked/released?

Yeah I'm scratching my head over this because the HGSS script was dumped a few days before or after the games officially came out iirc, so you would think that the gift Tentacool event would've been known as early as September 2009. Even if it wasn't the most important dialogue in the games, it's still something that should've been brought up much sooner.

Then again even the best Pokemon wikis are known to leave out some info; I remember how Nuzleaf being found in the wild in Sapphire version under certain circumstances wasn't on Bulbapedia's pages until a couple years ago, and before that there were only minor mentions of it on Gamefaqs and obscure Pokemon sites.

Back
Top Bottom