• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obscure Pokémon game trivia

Not sure how well documented it is or if it's an assumed fact but XD: Gale of Darkness used Colosseum as a base game for their world building. Probably obvious from some of the re-used maps but also because the map file section in the game shows ALL the old maps from Colosseum, including Important Items that could be picked up in that game (such as a Gear which is now just slightly out of reach of where you could pick it up.) Think the only room not present in the files is the e-Reader Room in Phenac City.

Imakuni?'s Whismur card line, Imakuni? (Trainer Card), and Dance! Neo Imakuni? (CD promo) (Trainer Card) are the only cards designed by Imakuni? that have been allowed for tournament use with all his other cards being joke cards that require doing things that you shouldn't normally do in a match (such as singing or throwing a card and running away.)

In Gold and Silver, Poké Fan Alex on Route 13 has three Pokémon with "king" in their names. In the Japanese and Korean versions, he has a Nidoking, Slowking, and Magikarp (Koiking/Ingeoking); the English localisation replaced the Magikarp with a Seaking.

I like learning about the Korean translations of Nintendo games because they're not well-documented, but unfortunately, I don't know Korean.

In Gold and Silver, Poké Fan Alex on Route 13 has three Pokémon with "king" in their names. In the Japanese and Korean versions, he has a Nidoking, Slowking, and Magikarp (Koiking/Ingeoking); the English localisation replaced the Magikarp with a Seaking.
In HeartGold and SoulSilver, his original Japanese team was maintained in the English version.

Also, another interesting fact about this Trainer: in Generation II, his Magikarp is at level 58, making it the highest-level NPC Pokémon in the game, excluding Red's team. In HeartGold and SoulSilver, its level is increased to 65, and now Blue and Lance's rematch teams also outlevel it.

In FRLG, most Gen 2 Pokemon used the same sprites that they did in RSE.

Except for, of all Pokemon, Teddiursa.

Now, you still can't encounter Teddiursa in that game, but that didn't stop them.

Also, despite being depicted as orange in its official art and the anime, Teddiursa was more brown in its sprites until HGSS. They even used that palette to recolor its DPPt sprite for BW.

In Gen 1, all types are immune to the secondary effects of moves of that type.

Sounds obvious, right? We all know Fire-types are immune to burn, and Poison-types can't be poisoned. But there's a twist in the tale that wasn't discovered for decades and it had colossal impacts on the very oldest of competitive Pokémon formats on emulators.

Tauros, Snorlax and Chansey are the three most dominant Pokémon of Gen 1 OU, in that order. Paralysis is the most useful and reliable form of status in the game, because it completely curtails the offensive threat posed by fast attackers such as Starmie, Alakazam and especially Tauros. Body Slam is the primary move of choice for both Tauros and Snorlax, and a very common secondary option on species that like to fish for opportunistic paralysis.

You see where I'm going with this? One of the most popular and important moves in the game was effectively bugged in the most widely-used emulator, because Body Slam can't paralyse Normal-types in Gen 1 - and this was only discovered in the past couple of years!

Last edited:
In Gen 1, all types are immune to the secondary effects of moves of that type.

[...]

You see where I'm going with this? One of the most popular and important moves in the game was effectively bugged in the most widely-used emulator, because Body Slam can't paralyse Normal-types in Gen 1 - and this was only discovered in the past couple of years!
Similarly, in Gen 2, Tri Attack can burn Fire-types and freeze Ice-types, and Twinneedle can poison Poison and Steel-types.

In Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, if the game is played in French, Brawly will say, "I discovered the secret of true power by staring at a Helix Fossil for days and days." Guess twice what this refers to.

In Pokémon X and Y, there's a Lass named Charlotte in the Santalune Gym, and the Gym's puzzle involves walking on a giant spider's web. Hmmm...

In the Battle Maison, there's a Beauty in the Battle Maison who says she used to be a Black Belt. In the Japanese version, she thanks medical science for her transformation.

In FRLG, most Gen 2 Pokemon used the same sprites that they did in RSE.

Except for, of all Pokemon, Teddiursa.

Now, you still can't encounter Teddiursa in that game, but that didn't stop them.

Also, despite being depicted as orange in its official art and the anime, Teddiursa was more brown in its sprites until HGSS. They even used that palette to recolor its DPPt sprite for BW.

I love these weird “inexplicably singled-out” cases

Like, in SM, you could only exchange BP for the Mega Stones of Pokémon that were in the Alola Dex. The rest were distributed through a series of Wi-Fi downloads. But USUM brought back every single remaining Mega-capable Pokémon and made them encounterable in some way (be it as part of the Alola Dex or through Ultra Space Wilds or Island Scan), and put all of their Mega Stones up for sale at the Battle Tree vendor... except for Numel/Camerupt. Cameruptite is still available through the BP vendor, but the Numel line itself can’t be caught in USUM, and it is the only Mega-capable species that cannot be obtained in Gen 7 without transferring (aside from Diancie for obvious reasons).

I think it’s particularly funny because there is still a prominent Trainer in USUM who uses the Numel family - Maxie, as a part of Team Rainbow Rocket.

I know there an unused piece of dialogue from N after the player traverses through Chargestone Cave (once the player arrives at Mistralton City). Obviously, that is an alternative dialogue from the one that's used, meaning the only way to see it in-game is to use some sort of cheat.

I know chuggaaconroy showed a clip of that during his Let's Play of Pokemon White.

Flaaffy's name can hold a double meaning and a pun to it. The two aa in its name could be referring to AA batteries or the fact that sheep often go baa.

In Generation II, due to the coding of Shiny Mons, they could only ever have Hidden Power Grass or Hidden Power Dragon.

I know there an unused piece of dialogue from N after the player traverses through Chargestone Cave (once the player arrives at Mistralton City). Obviously, that is an alternative dialogue from the one that's used, meaning the only way to see it in-game is to use some sort of cheat.

I know chuggaaconroy showed a clip of that during his Let's Play of Pokemon White.
Actually, the dialogue is not from N, but from Cedric Juniper. He will always comment that you've seen a Klink when you meet him in Mistralton City, as N uses one in the forced battle against him. There's an unused bit of dialogue in case Klink hasn't been seen yet, which is impossible to see without cheating.

Back
Top Bottom