• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obscure Pokémon game trivia

Unova and Galar are the only regions in which every town has its own unique theme tune, although Alola may also qualify if you don't consider Tapu Village, which uses the Ula'ula Island Route music, to be a proper town or city (which would certainly be fair in my opinion, but I think technically it is still considered one).

Here are the overlaps in each of the other regions:

In Kanto, Pewter shares its theme with both Viridian and Saffron. Meanwhile, Cerulean shares its theme with Fuchsia. (However, in GSC, Cerulean's theme doesn't exist at all, so instead Cerulean uses Pewter's theme, while Fuchsia uses Celadon's.) Additionally, none of the individual Sevii Island towns have a unique theme. Islands 1-3 share a theme (which is a remix of the Route 42 theme from GSC), 4 and 5 share another theme (a remix of Azalea Town's theme), and then 6 and 7 have yet another theme in common (a remix of Violet City's theme).

In Johto, Cherrygrove shares its theme with Mahogany, Violet shares its theme with Olivine, Azalea shares its theme with Blackthorn, and Ecruteak shares its theme with Cianwood (although Cianwood gets its own distinct remix of that track in HGSS).

In Hoenn, Oldale shares its theme with Lavaridge, Rustboro shares its theme with both Mauville and Mossdeep, and Lilycove shares its theme with Pacifidlog.

In Sinnoh, Eterna shares its theme with Celestic, and Solaceon shares its theme with Pastoria. Additionally, the Fight Area and Survival Area share a theme, while the Resort Area uses the Valor Lakefront theme.

In Kalos, Aquacorde's theme is shared with Ambrette, while Camphrier shares its theme with Couriway.

While it's pretty well that the Moon Ball was defective in Generation II, I don't think as many know of that there's one Pokémon line that evolves with a Moon Stone that's never been available in the wild in any game where the Moon Ball is obtainable. Can you guess what it is?

It's the Skitty line.
The Kanto families that evolve with the Moon Stone were available as soon as the Moon Ball was, and the Munna line is simultaneously available with the Moon Ball in Sword and Shield.

Last edited:
In Pokémon Emerald, when Spenser arrives to face you at the Battle Palace, an Azurill and a Dusclops preceed him. I learned literally just a few minutes ago, after reading it from TV Tropes, that these two Pokémon are actually symbolic: Azurill is a baby Pokémon, representing birth, while Dusclops is a Ghost-type Pokémon, representing death.

There are references to other series within the main series Pokemon games. One such reference is an Ocarina of Time one where a preschooler in Kalos says something along the lines of "Hey! Listen!". Another reference can be found within the same region, where a Psychic trainer mentions that he sensed a power that's "Over 9000", which is a reference to Dragon Ball.

In Generation IV games, on the rare off-hand chance you encounter two shiny Pokémon at once, the game will freeze up which means having to restart from the last checkpoint. Give there are few places in Gen IV games where you do encounter double wild battles and how rare finding shiny Pokémon is, this glitch is one that will almost never be encountered.

In Generation IV games, on the rare off-hand chance you encounter two shiny Pokémon at once, the game will freeze up which means having to restart from the last checkpoint. Give there are few places in Gen IV games where you do encounter double wild battles and how rare finding shiny Pokémon is, this glitch is one that will almost never be encountered.
To further clarify, the glitch has always existed but seems no one really knew it could happen until HamsterCake discovered it by accident 3 years ago during a Shinies only run. In short, the game freezes up because it's suddenly trying to load too many animations on the screen at the same time and it just freezes as a result.

In Let's Go Pikachu and Eeeve, there's a sketchbook in Professor Oak's lab that looks identical to the one the young Oak had in Pokemon 4ever. That's something I've known about for a while, but I think I may have just spotted another movie reference in these games. In Cinnabar Mansion, just south of Mewtwo's tank there are four smaller ones. Could the implication be that Ambertwo, Bulbasaurtwo, Charmandertwo and Squirtletwo were created here?

On Cycling Road in RSE, there's a female Triathlete who says, "How do you like the way my raven-colored hair streams behind me? I grew my hair out just for that."

Meanwhile, in ORAS, that person is replaced with a male Triathlete who says, "A beautiful woman who runs through the road with her jet-black hair flowing in the breeze... Can I find such a woman somewhere?"

Pour one out for the fella whose dream girl is in the next universe over. :cry:

Vikavolt is so fast in the overworld that you can't escape it without turbo-boosting the bike. The 'Dex entries refer to 'zipping around' and 'acrobatic flying maneuvers'.

Vikavolt's base Speed is 43.
Escavalier has a similar disconnect between its Pokédex entry and its stats. Black claims that “they fly around at high speed” despite only having a measly 20 base speed.

Maybe the Speed stat refers to the Pokémon’s reaction time as instead of how fast they move? Can we get more examples of Speed stats contradicting their Pokédex entries?

Escavalier has a similar disconnect between its Pokédex entry and its stats. Black claims that “they fly around at high speed” despite only having a measly 20 base speed.

Maybe the Speed stat refers to the Pokémon’s reaction time as instead of how fast they move? Can we get more examples of Speed stats contradicting their Pokédex entries?
Reaction time does make sense.

I've never been satisfied by the speed stat = reaction time justification. For starters, I'd imagine it would be rather problematic for something like Vikavolt to be able to fly fast but have a really low reaction time--it'd have difficulty avoiding obstacles, no? It makes no sense for a fast flyer to respond slowly to obstacles because a fast reaction time is necessary to be able to make split-second decisions. Plus, Pokémon that typically have low speed stats look bulky and heavy, such as Snorlax or Aggron, and not necessarily like they think slowly while fast Pokémon look fast, usually.

Edit: Nevermind I thought this was the headcanon thread.

I strongly suspect dex entries are written without consulting the actual stats.

I remember James Turner once said on Twitter that even though he designed Poipole/Naganadel, he was not the person who determined their stats or even their names. So yeah I think you're maybe onto something there.

Back
Top Bottom