• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obscure Pokémon game trivia

Pokémon Gold and Silver has Unusable flee rates for several mons that can never be encountered in the wild.

10% chance to flee from battle:
Eevee, Porygon, Togetic, Umbreon
50% chance to flee from battle: Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres

Probably meant as holdover data from a time when these mons WOULD be encountered somewhere in the game.

I remember James Turner once said on Twitter that even though he designed Poipole/Naganadel, he was not the person who determined their stats or even their names. So yeah I think you're maybe onto something there.

If I get disappeared on account of my accidental discovery of GameFreak's stat assignment system, I'll try to leave a hastily-scribbled note before the door is broken down.

There are several cases of a Pokémon being programmed to be holding a certain item in the wild, despite said Pokémon not being able to be found in the wild. For example, in Generation II, Mewtwo is programmed to always be holding a Berserk Gene; and in Black and White, Meloetta is programmed to always be holding a Star Piece.

In Pokémon Yellow, Dragonite's catch rate was adjusted from R/B, going from 45 to 9, even though there are no wild Dragonite in Yellow.

Why?
I suspect you may originally have been able to find them around route 25 (maybe a 1% super rod chance or similar) in a reference to the giant Dragonite in Bill's episode of the anime.
Note that it's rate went back to 45 in G/S.

Many people probably already know that the original Legendary titans represent different periods in history: Regirock is the Stone Age, Regice is the Ice Age, and Registeel is Iron Age. Well, the two new titans added in Generation VIII also match certain history periods: Regidrago is the Medieval age, and Regieleki is the modern times.

Many people probably already know that the original Legendary titans represent different periods in history: Regirock is the Stone Age, Regice is the Ice Age, and Registeel is Iron Age. Well, the two new titans added in Generation VIII also match certain history periods: Regidrago is the Medieval age, and Regieleki is the modern times.

I'd say this is more a theory than it is concrete trivia.

Haven’t counted but I’m almost certain that it’s Normal
It is indeed. Normal has
Growl
Screech
Tail Whip
Sing
Bind
Wrap
Double Team (Raises evasiveness of the user, so status move in my book)
Block
Mean Look
Follow Me
Mimic
Minimize
Spotlight
Protect
Max Guard
Decorate
Substitute
Mind Reader
Lock-On
Skull Bash (Raises Defense)
OMG, Rapid Spin as well now.

Apparently, Moves that have a recharging turn, are also counted towards status moves, which means for normal, those are Hyper Beam and Giga Impact

Last edited:
They are classed as Status moves though. I got them from Bulbawiki.
They are not. Status moves are moves that do not deal direct damage. Offensive moves that have secondary effects are not status moves. Even the games themselves classify moves that way.

Last edited:
Growl
Screech
Tail Whip
Sing
Bind
Wrap
Double Team (Raises evasiveness of the user, so status move in my book)
Block
Mean Look
Follow Me
Mimic
Minimize
Spotlight
Protect
Max Guard
Decorate
Substitute
Mind Reader
Lock-On
Skull Bash (Raises Defense)
OMG, Rapid Spin as well now.
You're missing a ton of them here. (In addition to Finnish's point about Bind, Wrap, Skull Bash, and Rapid Spin not actually being status moves) The full list is:

• After You
  • Assist
  • Attract
  • Baton Pass
  • Belly Drum
  • Bestow
  • Block
  • Camouflage
  • Captivate
  • Celebrate
  • Confide
  • Conversion
  • Conversion2
  • Copycat
  • Court Change
  • Defense Curl
  • Disable
  • Double Team
  • Encore
  • Endure
  • Entrainment
  • Extreme Evoboost
  • Flash
  • Focus Energy
  • Follow Me
  • Foresight
  • Glare
  • Growl
  • Growth
  • Happy Hour
  • Harden
  • Heal Bell
  • Helping Hand
  • Hold Hands
  • Howl
  • Laser Focus
  • Leer
  • Lock-On
  • Lovely Kiss
  • Lucky Chant
  • Max Guard
  • Me First
  • Mean Look
  • Metronome
  • Milk Drink
  • Mimic
  • Mind Reader
  • Minimize
  • Morning Sun
  • Nature Power
  • Noble Roar
  • Odor Sleuth
  • Pain Split
  • Perish Song
  • Play Nice
  • Protect
  • Psych Up
  • Recover
  • Recycle
  • Reflect Type
  • Refresh
  • Roar
  • Safeguard
  • Scary Face
  • Screech
  • Sharpen
  • Shell Smash
  • Simple Beam
  • Sing
  • Sketch
  • Slack Off
  • Sleep Talk
  • Smokescreen
  • Softboiled
  • Splash
  • Spotlight
  • Stockpile
  • Stuff Cheeks
  • Substitute
  • Supersonic
  • Swagger
  • Swallow
  • Sweet Scent
  • Swords Dance
  • Tail Whip
  • Tearful Look
  • Teatime
  • Teeter Dance
  • Tickle
  • Transform
  • Whirlwind
  • Wish
  • Work Up
  • Yawn
That's a grand total of 94 status moves, and for a bit more trivia-
  • There are more Normal status moves than there are moves of any category for any other type
  • With the exception of Flying, Grass, Water, and Psychic, there are also more Normal-type status moves than there are Pokemon of any other type
Apparently, Moves that have a recharging turn, are also counted towards status moves, which means for normal, those are Hyper Beam and Giga Impact
...No? Hyper Beam is a Special move, Giga Impact is a Physical move. This isn't the sort of thing that's like, up for debate depending on the move's function, it's a trait as clearly-defined as the move's type.
1620081109050.png

They are classed as Status moves though. I got them from Bulbawiki.
The only mention of "Status" on Skull Bash's page is in the PMD section.
1620081042402.png

Everyone who's played Sword and/or Shield knows how horrible Leon's sense of direction is. Well, what not everyone may not know is that he really outdid himself in the past. During The Isle of Armor storyline, Mustard reveals that Leon never completed his trials because he got lost along the way to one of the Towers of Two Fists.

That much is easy to find out. But what is not as commonly known AFAIK is where Leon accidentally wound up. A student at the Master Dojo reveals that while looking for a way to either of the towers, Leon accidentally wound up in Postwick. Postwick. Which is located on Galar mainland.

Hoenn is currently the only region where Eevee is absent from the regional dex.
Ghost/Poison, Poison/Flying, and Poison/Ground are currently the only type combinations that have not been used since the first gen or evolutionary relatives of first gen Pokemon. If Galarian forms counted then Ice/Psychic would also be on this list.

Back
Top Bottom