• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obscure Pokémon game trivia

Not sure if this qualifies as an obscure trivia but despite Pokémon X & Y being among my favorites, this one thing I just recently discovered after about 10 years.

There is an old man in Anistar City who feels lonely after his wife had passed away. He asks you to give him a cuddly Pokémon to raise, any Pokémon lv. 5 or under. Whenever you go and talk to him, he kindly says he felt younger than ever, but knew the Pokémon was your friend and he would have understood if you wanted it back.

When you return after entering the hall of fame, he's not there, with a Pokéball in the middle of the floor, with a note attached to it and your mon inside.

The note implies that he died happily and is extremely greatful towards you for giving him company in his last few days. You get a comet shard and get to take back this Pokémon.
You're right, it doesn't really count since 99% of XY players already knew this. Although I guess exceptions can be made for some players such as speedrunners who don't bother talking to all NPCs lol.

I'm sure this isn't that obscure, but after freeing Uxie, Mespirit and Azelf, you can push the button again, and there will be text telling you that "You've already pushed the button, you need to leave." This was even kept in the remakes, as well.

I only knew about this because of a Youtuber playing Platinum recently for some nuzlocke. This was something I never knew about until this year, tbh.

& There's graffiti on a wall in Celadon Condominiums that the player can interact with. I think only in g/s/c, though. Probably also not obscure, but.

Ice/Fire and Dragon/Fairy are the only type combinations that cannot be seen outside of battle.
In the original Gen 1 games Focus Energy is broken and actually does the opposite of what it was intended to do.
Held items were created by exploiting a redundant catch rate value stored on caught Pokemon in the Gen 1 games. The Gold and Silver developers replaced that redundant bit of code with the held items.
In the original Gen 1 games, Poison and Bug were uniquely weak to each other. This unfortunately made the Paras line the only Pokemon in the franchise's history to have ever had three double weaknesses at any point in the franchise's history.
In Gens 3-5, Azurill had a 1/4 chance of changing gender when it evolved due to a coding error. Azurill had 75/25 female ratio while Marill was 50/50. This was fixed in XY.
In Gens 1-3, Cut had a second effect that most don't know about. In the Game Boy Pokemon games, Cut could be used to cut away tall grass, making it function as a free repel. In Emerald, the ratio is even doubled if you put a Pokemon with the ability Hyper Cutter at the front of your party. DP removed this function of Cut.
The Ralts line are the only Pokemon to be retroactively added to an egg group, as they were added to the Human-Like egg group in Sword and Shield. Prior to those games they were exclusively in the Amorphous egg group.
The Dawn Stone is the only evolutionary stone that currently hasn't gotten any new uses since its introduction.
Cedric Juniper has dialogue in BW if you've never seen a Klink by the time you reach him at the end of Chargestone Cave. You'll never be able to see this dialogue without hacking because N uses a Klink in an earlier fight.
Venonat being in the SV dex means that now every single Gen 1 Pokemon apart from Mew has been in a regional dex outside of Kanto and Johto. It took 26 years and nine generations for this feat to finally be reached.

Despite being genderless, Cryogonal can (or used to be able to at least) learn Attract, which in very specific scenarios, makes Attract the second completely useless move not being exclusive to Mystery Gift.

It's exclusive to Crystal, actually.
Thank you for correcting me. I knew it was gen 2, but forgot which game...

Not sure if this is obscure, but if you say no to Dialga joining your team in Mystery Dungeon (explorers of tds), he will walk away disappointed instead of fading like normal Pokemon in dungeons.

There's a video on PMDGang's YouTube channel that shows rare cutscenes. Found this interesting, tbh that they actually animated Dialga walking away.

The Ralts line are the only Pokemon to be retroactively added to an egg group, as they were added to the Human-Like egg group in Sword and Shield. Prior to those games they were exclusively in the Amorphous egg group.
Several other Pokémon had their egg groups changed in Gen 8; off the top of my head, the Trapinch and Noibat lines were added to the Dragon group.

In speaking about egg groups, many non-dragon or non-dragon-like Pokemon who either have a Dragon-type evolution or Dragon-like evolution are also part of the Dragon egg group, so yes, Magikarp and Feebas are both part of this egg group even though they are just fish Pokemon.

Fun Pokédex trivia: in some of Electabuzz's early Pokédex entries, it was mentioned that it can cause blackouts by eating electricity from power plants. However, a Generation VII entry reveals that actually, most of these blackouts were really the electric company's own fault, and they used Electabuzz as a scapegoat.

Another Pokedex change, this time about Raichu: In older Pokedex entries, it's said that Raichu's volts are enough to topple an indian elephant, but Legends Arceus retconned that part (finally) and replaced it with Copperajah.

I don’t see it as a retcon. I don’t reckon there is any reason to retcon that either, there have been some pretty recent allusions to animals in the Pokémon world, like how the Insect Plate is being described as being imbued with the essence of bugs in LA.

This trivia video has a lot of interesting info:

Some bits include:
  • Blaziken was originally designed around the idea of colored chicks, which are things Japanese children could win at festivals and then throw them away when they grew up and weren't cute anymore. The idea was that people would do the same with Torchic and then ditch it when it evolved into something less cute.
  • Remember how Black and White have no old Pokémon before the post-game? Ruby and Sapphire were planned to do that first for more than half of their development time, without even the ability to transfer in old Pokémon, so it would've been even more drastic than what B/W ended up doing. This was eventually dropped due to type balancing issues.
  • Pokémon Crystal got its name from crystals used in electronic transmissions, such as the ones found inside game cartridges.
  • Ruby and Sapphire didn't get their names until just months before the release. The Pokémon Company objected to these names at one point, because they, for some reason, didn't want more game names based on crystals, but by that point, the games were so late in development that nothing could be done about it.
  • The development team of Pokémon Colosseum knew nothing about Pokémon when they started working on the game. They decided to base the player character's age on the age of the players who had gotten into Pokémon as kids, making the player character, Wes, about 17 years old. The game's higher difficulty was also designed around the fact of the game being designed for older and more experienced players.
  • The composer of Colosseum and XD made a lot of music for those games, some of which never made it to the games but still exists, although it is not available to the public.
  • When Junichi Masuda was asked if there would ever be another Pokémon game like Stadium or Colosseum, he answered with a single word: "No." And then laughed on top of that.

Ruby and Sapphire didn't get their names until just months before the release. The Pokémon Company objected to these names at one point, because they, for some reason, didn't want more game names based on crystals, but by that point, the games were so late in development that nothing could be done about it.
This explains some text in the game that mention "Pokémon Advanced" or something like that.

The development team of Pokémon Colosseum knew nothing about Pokémon when they started working on the game. They decided to base the player character's age on the age of the players who had gotten into Pokémon as kids, making the player character, Wes, about 17 years old. The game's higher difficulty was also designed around the fact of the game being designed for older and more experienced players.
This might explain why the style of the humans clashes enormously with the Pokémon themselves.

I'm back with more Pokéstar Studios trivia. Some of you might be aware of the studios' VIP dressing room, to which access is granted after filming all the good endings. In said room is a stack of old scripts, whose titles vary greatly according to the language version. The bulk of the titles spoofs those of real-world films, although the English localization team opted to parody classic literature that many children are familiar with.

With the help of fans from around the world, I was able to compile the titles across the languages and what they respectively reference into a video.

Alternatively, you can read this spreadsheet.

Not exactly a fact trivia, but an observation. Every generation the Pallet Town theme is in, it gets slower. It's very noticeable. Compare the original to gsc to frlg to hgss & the theme feels like it's much, much slower in its tempo.

Here's s video of the theme over the years. Evolution of Pallet Town Theme (1996-2018) | Pokemon Music Notice how different & slower the tempo gets over time.

Lgpe isn't slower than hgss, I don't think but it's definitely nowhere near as fast as the first version.

When talked, the Sudowoodo in Hapu's house says "Lies!". There is no Eastern Egg, a reference or anything even remotely like that going on here. It is just the translators' oversight. Sudowoodo in Japanese says "Uso", the first half of its Japanese name, which alone unsurprisingly could be translated as "lie" in English.

DoQMI1dWsAAUx9O.jpg:large
Isn't it possible that the translators knew what they were doing and actually did translate the line like that on purpose as an Easter egg?

Also unrelated and not quite an obscure fact but more of an Easter egg - there's a map hanging in a house in Dewford Town in ORAS that's a literal copy + paste of a fan-made world map that Serebii Joe had created for the Pokearth section of his site. Someone pointed it out to him and he was quite honored about it lol.

Last edited:
Oh my gosh I love this sort of thing! :D

I'm not sure if any of these have been stated yet or aren't that obscure, but I got a few, mostly involving Gen 6. Please let me know if any of these are incorrect:
  • Due to a programming oversight, if a player transfers an Eevee from a generation before Gen 6 into X and Y and evolves it into a Sylveon prior to getting a Pokedex entry for it, said entry won't appear for this Sylveon. Though it will for an Eevee from Gen 6, and presumably, the ones after.
  • In the original Ruby and Sapphire, it was possible for players to get one extra Pokemon in Sapphire. In these games, your given both a Sun Stone and a Moon Stone, and as in other generations, can get extra from wild Solrock and Lunatone, respectively. However, while only Gloom need a Sun Stone to evolve into Sunflora, both Skitty and Jigglypuff need a Moon Stone to evolve, and since wild Lunatone can only be encountered in Sapphire, Delcatty and Wigglytuff were mutually exclusive to Ruby players. This isn't the case in the remakes due to the fact that you can get more stones from Secret Super Training, rematches, Inverse battles, Secret Base changes, Clefairy holding them, and changes to the Pickup ability that were made in HGSS.
  • The generic pictures inside of buildings in X and Y consist of Unova pokemon, such as Roggenrola, Gothielite, and Audino. However, if one looks in the top floor of the Pokemon lab, you can also see there's a unique one, which is a diagram of what looks to be a Snivy, which is fitting for Kalos, since the Snivy line's main motif is French royalty.
  • Tabitha (at least in ORAS) and Cyrus were the same age in their respective games. Which is pretty surprising because, well, look at them.
  • Even though he's referred to as just a Pokemon trainer, AZ uses the Gym Leader theme in the final battle in X and Y's main game.
  • Crasher Wake was originally going to have a Swampert-themed mask instead of the Gyrados one.
  • The first wild encounter in every. Single. File of X and Y is always scripted to be a Pidgey, which I believe will always trigger in the second row of tall grass on route 2. Weird, I know. Likewise, the first encounter after beating the main story will always be the legendary bird that goes with the Kalos starter you chose.
  • In Masters EX, excluding the main characters from the games, Steven Stone currently holds the record for the most alternative costumes of any champion, which is three aside from his regular outfit.
  • Also, I think May in Masters also holds the record for the most Pokemon that Mega Evolve after using a Sync Move, which is four: Swampert, Lopunny, Latias, and Blaziken. Though Blue is in second with three: Pidgeot, Blastoise, and Aerodactyl.
  • Another Masters one, but there are only three sync moves in the game that don't deal any damage, which are Leaf and Eevee's, Sycamore and Xerneas's, and Sygna Suit Dawn and Cresselia's. These three pairs instead have a hefty status buff.
  • In Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum, there was this bug that, depending on your trainer ID and Secret ID, could raise the chance of encountering shinies when a Pokemon with Cute Charm was first in the party, in which opposite gendered pokemon had over a 21% chance of being shiny!
That's all I can recall at the moment :)

Back
Top Bottom