• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obscure Pokémon game trivia

Oh my gosh I love this sort of thing! :D

I'm not sure if any of these have been stated yet or aren't that obscure, but I got a few, mostly involving Gen 6. Please let me know if any of these are incorrect:
  • Due to a programming oversight, if a player transfers an Eevee from a generation before Gen 6 into X and Y and evolves it into a Sylveon prior to getting a Pokedex entry for it, said entry won't appear for this Sylveon. Though it will for an Eevee from Gen 6, and presumably, the ones after.
  • In the original Ruby and Sapphire, it was possible for players to get one extra Pokemon in Sapphire. In these games, your given both a Sun Stone and a Moon Stone, and as in other generations, can get extra from wild Solrock and Lunatone, respectively. However, while only Gloom need a Sun Stone to evolve into Sunflora, both Skitty and Jigglypuff need a Moon Stone to evolve, and since wild Lunatone can only be encountered in Sapphire, Delcatty and Wigglytuff were mutually exclusive to Ruby players. This isn't the case in the remakes due to the fact that you can get more stones from Secret Super Training, rematches, Inverse battles, Secret Base changes, Clefairy holding them, and changes to the Pickup ability that were made in HGSS.
  • The generic pictures inside of buildings in X and Y consist of Unova pokemon, such as Roggenrola, Gothielite, and Audino. However, if one looks in the top floor of the Pokemon lab, you can also see there's a unique one, which is a diagram of what looks to be a Snivy, which is fitting for Kalos, since the Snivy line's main motif is French royalty.
  • Tabitha (at least in ORAS) and Cyrus were the same age in their respective games. Which is pretty surprising because, well, look at them.
  • Even though he's referred to as just a Pokemon trainer, AZ uses the Gym Leader theme in the final battle in X and Y's main game.
  • Crasher Wake was originally going to have a Swampert-themed mask instead of the Gyrados one.
  • The first wild encounter in every. Single. File of X and Y is always scripted to be a Pidgey, which I believe will always trigger in the second row of tall grass on route 2. Weird, I know. Likewise, the first encounter after beating the main story will always be the legendary bird that goes with the Kalos starter you chose.
  • In Masters EX, excluding the main characters from the games, Steven Stone currently holds the record for the most alternative costumes of any champion, which is three aside from his regular outfit.
  • Also, I think May in Masters also holds the record for the most Pokemon that Mega Evolve after using a Sync Move, which is four: Swampert, Lopunny, Latias, and Blaziken. Though Blue is in second with three: Pidgeot, Blastoise, and Aerodactyl.
  • Another Masters one, but there are only three sync moves in the game that don't deal any damage, which are Leaf and Eevee's, Sycamore and Xerneas's, and Sygna Suit Dawn and Cresselia's. These three pairs instead have a hefty status buff.
  • In Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum, there was this bug that, depending on your trainer ID and Secret ID, could raise the chance of encountering shinies when a Pokemon with Cute Charm was first in the party, in which opposite gendered pokemon had over a 21% chance of being shiny!
That's all I can recall at the moment :)

Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon have a lot of small side quests scattered around the game. In one of these, the player can help a woman fix a broken vending machine with the help of their Rotom Dex. The woman reveals that she helped design Rotom Dex's Poké Finder function and wonders which device Rotom could enter next, suggesting that perhaps it could merge with a PC Box in the future.

Then, lo and behold, Sword and Shield introduced Rotomi.

First entry was meant for this thread to begin with. Posted it earlier on in the anime trivia thread by mistake.

1. Can't recall, plus a few commenter mention knowing one of the things on here: WEIRD Pokemon Facts in Under 10 Minutes!

The first one on here which caught my attention is how to get 5 Pokéballs from Oak in Gen 1.

Basically do not purchase any at all yet, then beat Blue in the optional battle west of Viridian City. And then go back to see Oak and he will give you them as you can't just filling in the Dex by just seeing the Pokémon.

So obscure trivia or barely?

2. So February of 2009 saw the first US release of Dragon Quest V which was the third version of that installment. Said port being on the DS.

Pokémon was still on Gen 4 with the Zoroark movie not even having hit Japan theaters yet.

Just giving context, but Dragon Quest V's DS port had for the first time Jailcat (debuted in VIII which has some monster recruiting, btw) as a recruitable monster.

Like the usual monster companions there are four default names to choose from. One of the possible names for Jailcat? Purrloin.:-D

We were going to get one earlier, but they decided to make Hoothoot Normal/Flying and Ho-Oh Fire/Flying.

Also, now that I'm referencing Spaceworld: Moonlight, Morning Sun and Synthesis were apparently going to be the new Eeveelutions signature moves, but that changed when they removed Leafeon.

Same with Curse and Norowara, which was an even bigger shame because it made too much sense.

This might be old news, but I just noticed--

Each grouping of Eevee evolutions has its own naming scheme in Japanese, except one:

Showers
Thunders
Booster

Eifie
Blacky

Leafia
Glacia

Nymphia

The gen 1 Eevees end in an -er sound, gen 2 in an -ee sound, and gen 4 in an -ia sound.

But then Sylveon is also -ia, seemingly grouping it with Leafeon and Glaceon like a trio.

Which is odd on its own, but doubly odd because often Sylveon gets grouped with Espeon and Umbreon, being the three friendship evolutions

Also, Jolteon is Thunders and Zapdos is Thunder? Come on.

I guess this counts as trivia in a way, but the post-game battle facilities have some hidden gems in terms of NPC dialogue. Here's an example from Sword and Shield's Battle Tower.

841.jpg

Oh, I went back and read mine and need to correct some. While there is a diagram of a Snivy in Sycamore’s lab near his desk, there’s also one of what looks to be a Tepig by the elevator. Also, Cynthia now has three alternative outfits in Masters EX, making it a tie between her and Steven. But another fact is that all of AZ’s Pokémon know the move Return, which helps demonstrate how much he’s changed for the better.

I guess this counts as trivia in a way, but the post-game battle facilities have some hidden gems in terms of NPC dialogue. Here's an example from Sword and Shield's Battle Tower.

841.jpg
The poor girl is gonna need brain bleach when she gets older...

This might be old news, but I just noticed--

Each grouping of Eevee evolutions has its own naming scheme in Japanese, except one:

Eifie
Blacky
Just noticed that the third scrapped Eeveelution from GS also used follow that pattern: Leafy.

Nice catch!

In OR/AS, all Pokemon on Route 101 are guaranteed to be captured because the wild Pokemon will never break out of a pokeball. I don't know if this is an obscure fact, but I didn't know this until recently myself.
The same is true for Kalos Route 2 and Alola Route 1 until the Iki Town festival.

In OR/AS, all Pokemon on Route 101 are guaranteed to be captured because the wild Pokemon will never break out of a pokeball. I don't know if this is an obscure fact, but I didn't know this until recently myself.
The same is true for Kalos Route 2 and Alola Route 1 until the Iki Town festival.
You mean I wasted my own Pokémon's health there???

You mean I wasted my own Pokémon's health there???
Isn't Galar Route 1 the same?

Despite the Flying typing existing since Generation 1, no pure Flying types were introduced until Gen 5, and no Pokemon had it as a primary type until Gen 6. Also, no Pokemon had Normal as a secondary type until Gen 6 as well.
Ghost/Poison is the only type combination that has not been seen since Gen 1, even on Pokemon that are related by evolution to Gen 1 Pokemon.
In Gen 1, Bite, Gust, Sand Attack, and Karate Chop were all Normal-type moves. Gold and Silver changed their types to Dark, Flying, Ground, and Fighting respectively. This is one of only two times that a type of a move is changed to an already existing type, the other was in Black and White when the ??? type was retired, and its only move Curse became a Ghost-type move.
There actually is a ???-type Arceus form in the code of the Sinnoh games that is only used to prevent crashes.
The TM for Snarl is unobtainable in BW because it requires the Lock Capsule, an event-only item that was meant to be distributed to HGSS but it was never released. It was meant to be sent forward from HGSS to BW, where it can then be opened to obtain the TM for Snarl.
There was an unused item in the Sinnoh games called the Magma Stone. It was finally made available six years after DP's release in BW2 as it used to allow the player to catch Heatran, which was originally introduced in DP.
Due to the name censors in XY you can't name your character Viola, which is the name of the game's first Gym Leader.
The Trainer Tower in FRLG is notable for being the very first location in any main series game where you can battle NPC trainers with shiny Pokemon on their teams. There's three shinies to battle there in total, those being a shiny Meowth, a shiny Seaking, and a shiny Espeon.
Despite Rock and Grass tying for the most weaknesses of any type (at 5 each) a dual type Rock/Grass type only has four weaknesses in total. This is because their weaknesses heavily overlap with the other's resistances, with Rock removing Grass's weaknesses to Fire, Flying, and Poison while Grass removes Rock's weaknesses to Water, Ground, and Grass itself. As a result, a Pokemon with the Rock/Grass type combination only has four weaknesses, those being Bug, Ice, Fighting, and Steel, and it has super effective Rock STAB to deal with the former two.

In Pokémon Ranger, there's a mission where you have to lead Professor Hastings through a creepy factory in order to stop the Go-Rock Squad from using the factory to produce Super Stylers. If you stand and idle without doing anything, Professor Hastings will tell you to hurry up and do something after a certain amount of time. Just found this out in my last playthrough when I set my DSi down for a little bit, and when I picked it back up, he was getting mad at me for not doing anything. Gave me a chuckle.

During a playthrough of Pokemon Pearl a few years ago, I decided to evolve my Chimchar solely through battling the Pokemon of Route 201 before speaking to the Professor for the first time in his lab. Surprisingly, the developers were prepared to acknowledge this grind-heavy achievement. Professor Rowan has a line unique to this circumstance in which he shows surprise that your pokemon has already evolved, rather than simply observing that it seems happy.

During a playthrough of Pokemon Pearl a few years ago, I decided to evolve my Chimchar solely through battling the Pokemon of Route 201 before speaking to the Professor for the first time in his lab. Surprisingly, the developers were prepared to acknowledge this grind-heavy achievement. Professor Rowan has a line unique to this circumstance in which he shows surprise that your pokemon has already evolved, rather than simply observing that it seems happy.
This actually reminded me of something I have thought about at some point: in USUM, what would happen if your starter was already evolved during your first meeting with Hau, where all the starters are shown outside their Poké Balls?

Back
Top Bottom