• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obscure Ship Commiseration Corner!

I just had an epiphany. If, somehow, Tierno x Trevor becomes a thing (Which it needs to!), it should be called MusicClassShipping (If I missed something and it already has a name, sorry) because Tierno likes dancing and Trevor is a nerd :)!

I think I'm the only one anywhere on the internet that ships Lysandre x Maxie. There are absolutely no fanfics of pieces of fanart for it, and it doesn't even have a name yet. I think I should make something for this pairing, but I don't have the best art or writing skills.

I have tons of obscure ships, so I'll just put my top 3 for now. :)

AdvancedChampionShipping (Brendan X Steven Stone) - I just always loved their interactions in the game, and it just seems really cute to me. X)
ElectorShipping (Lt. Surge X Volkner) - I like the contrast between Lt. Surge, who's pretty loud and a bit of a show-off to Volkner, who's more quiet and subdued. At the same time, though, they're both very proud people and only respect those who earn their respect. Plus, the fact that they're both Electric-type gym leaders, and both use Raichu as their first Party Pokémon.

Warning: this one has spoilers for X & Y; I would have put it under a spoiler tag but I'm not sure how (sorry!)
FloetteShipping (Calem X AZ) - Although they only have a few interactions, they all seem very meaningful. AZ shares his origin story with Calem although they barely know each other, and it's because of their battle that AZ is able to let go of his anger, thus making his Floette finally return to him.

I swear I'm the only GemCollectorShipper (Celio/Leaf) on the planet. And is it just me, or does Celio/Red not even have a name?

Anyway, another shout-out to ValetShipping (Darach/Caitlin).

Also:
AppealShipping (Dawn/Zoey) - Obviously this was quite popular at one point, but (perhaps unsurprisingly) the shippers seem to be going extinct lately, or at least dormant.
GirlTalkShipping (Waitress Aurora/Hilda) - Or any of the seasonal Ferris Wheel ships, really. Come on, these guys are total fanfic fuel!
JohtoFestaShipping (Lyra/Khoury) - Same deal as AppealShipping.
IceCastleShipping (Ice/Kate) - Been a while since I picked up that Ranger game but I remember liking this.

I know there's waaay more but I'm blanking out right now.

I ship Hugh/Rosa/Curtis as an OT3, Nate/Chili, Clemont/Viola, and I feel like the only person who ships Siebold/Sina (I don't even think there is a name for this ship). These are just my obscure ships, the rest of the ships I have I feel are pretty popular. Also, I'm sure I have more ships but I'm blanking.

Anyway, I guess another pairing I've really come to like is Serena x Sycamore.
Does THIS pairing have a name yet, by any chance...?

I have seen quite a few fanarts of this... and I believe it's called LacewoodShipping.

I definitely like the idea of Serena x Siebold, but it does seem extremely rare, heh.xP

Anyway, I guess another pairing I've really come to like is Serena x Sycamore.
Does THIS pairing have a name yet, by any chance...?

I've seen quite a bit of Serena x Sycamore on fanfiction.net, even when I chose Calem and Serena as the characters, there were like 2 Sycamore x Serena fics. Likewise, try looking up a fic with Looker as the character. I believe there was another one there.

Hope this helps! :p

I ship so many obscure ships it's not funny. Here's the list:

AestheticShipping (CherenxCilan) I LOVE THIS SHIP TO BITS AND THERES NO FANART AND IT MAKES ME WANT TO SCREAM
CodexShipping (CherenxShauntal) this is so cute and they look so alike and idk why nobody ships this
VoicemailShipping (KellynxRhythmi) think about it. they're adorable together.
AllWrongShipping (CherenxN)
Inb4Shipping (CherenxBarry)
StubbornStrengthShipping (CherenxSilver)
YinShipping (CherenxWally)
RangerSchoolShipping (KellynxKeith)

I'd add Checkmate to the list [i swear to troll jegus cheren is my fandom bicycle], but it's not really obscure. It's just dwarfed by FerrisWheel. [not that it's a bad ship it's just..everywhere]

Last edited:
I'm not sure what it's called (if it exists already), but I think that Molly Hale and Max would make a cute couple. I've never heard of anyone else shipping these two, and there isn't any fan art of it, but I can just imagine them both heading to Pallet Town when they get older, both wanting to meet up with Ash, and running into each other.

(Update: Thursday, July 24, 2014)Another one that popped into my head just now is KellynXLuana (the female Ranger with the Buneary at the Veintown Ranger Base). I like shipping them because Luana only graduated from the Ranger School one year before Kellyn, meaning that she's approximately his age. The two also seem to get paired up for missions the most often when Kellyn's stationed at Veintown. Plus, they look cute together. I don't see it anywhere on the "Neverending Romance" list, so I think I'll call it "VeintownShipping."

Last edited:
I'm not sure what it's called (if it exists already), but I think that Molly Hale and Max would make a cute couple. I've never heard of anyone else shipping these two, and there isn't any fan art of it, but I can just imagine them both heading to Pallet Town when they get older, both wanting to meet up with Ash, and running into each other.

It does have a name! Its called SmartkidShipping. I ship it too! Like you said, I think it would be cute for them to meet up in Pallet Town!

Here is one of the only fanarts of the two that exists any more. The artist was Michikusa, but unfortunately she has deleted her website so I cannot source it.

maxmolly.png

Not sure if BirdStarShipping counts cuz it's a crossover ship, but Luna and I seem to be the only ones who ship it sooooooo....

I don't see many people supporting NewRivalShipping. And now that I think of it, VatonageShipping sounds perfect!

I'm probably the ONLY MegaEvolutionShipper. ;~; I think Alan and Ayaka seem perfect. The way she asks about achieving his goal by just battling shows that she could help him change. Plus, I can see Manon scheming to get them together.

CandleStickShipping- StevenxFlannery. Barely anybody ships this. ;_; But it's so perfect because
Wallace likes Winona
so Steven can go with Flannery! :3

MasumiShipping, for some reason, i like it :v
but i just can't ship it because i love Poké and Orange so much ;w;

For some inexplicable reason, I can't shake the idea of Alexa/Malva off my head. I have no clue where that came from. I don't even think the pairing has a name.

Sadly, since the characters I have the most interest in are almost all characters who have either appeared in few games and/or haven't been seen in a long time, most of my favorite Pokémon ships fall under the "Obscure" category...

1. Lance X Lorelei: My first Pokémon crush and my first Pokémon idol, how could I *not* put them together? Just seeing them for the first time, I thought they looked cute together, and after learning more about them as characters in GSC and FRLG, I think they'd make for great dynamics--the cold, rational Lorelei (who uses Pokémon that are mostly based on things that exist in nature) and the warm, emotional Lance (who uses Pokémon that are mostly based on things from fairy tales). I've always liked het couples that went against the grain, and aligned the woman with reason and science and the man with emotion and fantasy. Lance and Lorelei complement each other well, while still sharing a sense of justice (they both helped you against Team Rocket) and, of course, beautiful red (or purple, depending on game) hair.

Shame it's so hard to find good art or fic for them, though. I've always gotten the feeling that they were kind of ship that was more popular 12-15 years ago, but faded away as the franchise moved on and forgot about Lorelei's existence (while still putting Lance in new games).

2. Lance X Kris: Yes, Lorelei is my OTL for Lance, but I like the idea of him having platonic brother-sister dynamic with the first female protagonist, Kris. I imagine Kris having a huge crush on him (like I did back then), while he sees her as a good friend and a younger sister of sorts that he respects, yet is willing to protect and care for. This one just speaks to the 10 year old in me. :crush:

But, good luck finding fic or art. Since GF decided to erase poor Kris from canon, you're far more likely to see Lance either with her replacement, Lyra, or go gay with the likes of Gold, Silver, or Red.

3. Karen X Clair: One of my biggest headcanons for Clair is that one of main reasons she's such a bully is because she's closeted and is afraid of coming out, so I always put her in F/F pairings. I think someone like Karen, in particular, could be a good, positive influence for Clair and could help her become more accepting of herself, as well as teach her that she doesn't always have to be the very strongest or the very best. Karen believes that the idea of "strong" and "weak" Pokémon is the "selfish perception of people," after all, and that's also one of the values of the Dragon Clan (the one which Clair seems to have the most trouble understanding).

But, alas, it's an F/F pairing, which automatically makes it obscure. (Sadly, it seems that a ship needs to have, at least, one man in it for most people to be interested.) Good luck finding stuff that isn't awful, objectifying fetish material.

4. Blue X Kris: If Lance is the Dream Guy, then Blue is the Real Guy. He's mean, bratty, arrogant, and not all that pleasant to be around. And, yet, I still like him enough to ship with Kris. Why? I just love the idea of them being a bickering couple who both, deep down, have feelings for each other. Just the image of Kris constantly deflating Blue's ego and holding her superior battle prowess over him makes me smile, especially since Blue, deep down, knows it's true, but is too proud of himself to admit it.

Suffice to say, there isn't any fic or art to be found. Blue is usually paired with either Red or Leaf, and Kris (if she's even acknowledged over Lyra) is more likely to be paired with either Gold (who I like to interpret as her cousin) or Silver.

Okay, I ship next to nothing iin Pokémon, but when I do, it's obscure and hella gay apparently...

Professor JuniperXFennel(ScientificShipping): It all started when Fennel just says "Professor Juniper's my friend from college". Did anyone ask? Nope. Was it oddly specific? Yes. Did I start shipping it? ...Yes XD. Then, Archen Episode happened. Now I'm trash. Also, it's so obvious, it could be called the Hangrid of Pokémon... I'm rambling again, crap...

ZinniaXMay (Whatever it's called): Zinnia pulls a Tharja and watches you sleep. F(ARCHEN)ing Romantic. Okay, but seriously, the dialogue between them is amazing and if it weren't for my Aster Theory, I'd love it to be canon.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom