• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obsession with Misty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sith Droideka

I! AM NOT! A MORON!
Reaction score
Why are so many people obsessed with Misty? People still bring her up despite being gone since 2003 (yeah, I know I'm being hypocritical), and even debate songs about her that were made back at the height of the anime. I understand shipping and clubs, but to me this seems ridiculous. Especially since you can't easily generate wars on May and Dawn and Iris.

May's still pretty popular and talked about too.
Its just the Misty fan base is a we bit more vocale about it.

People are going to bring up departed characters forever. Misty, May, Gary, Gliscor... well, maybe not Tracey or Todd, but pretty much everyone else who was once a regular character but is now gone is going to get whined about by fans forever, because people just don't get that Pokemon isn't some deep anime with a deep and moving story, it's a thirty-minute advertisement for a video game.

May's still pretty popular and talked about too.
Its just the Misty fan base is a we bit more vocale about it.

This. I think its mainly because (for me at least) I'm not afraid to say who I like/want to come back for even a simple cameo.

The only way people will ever stop talking about Misty is if, by some miracle, some other heroine pops up who is more memorable.

I nominate Haruhi Suzumiya.

I wouldnt say its so much obsession,but rather dissapointment coming from her fans due to character being neglected to ridiculously rare appearances,being writen off in abrupt way never getting closure.

Many fans dont like how writers replaced her leaving her story unfinished,leaving lot of potential left for further development unused.Aside from Togepi,everythin else going for her(like her goal of becoming water pokemon master,her backstory,her other ambitions) was left open never being muc explored.
There are also other things like they enjoyed more in this show with her character around and chemistry she provided in group,missing her and wanting to see her again in cast,or at least getting more appearancs than she currently does.

Usually,original characters are talked more in fandom circles than those who come after it,since they were in this show when it started seting up path for other making show popular in first place.

The only way people will ever stop talking about Misty is if, by some miracle, some other heroine pops up who is more memorable.

I nominate Haruhi Suzumiya.
"Oooo, Haruhi is the new girl? AWESOME! Maybe she can bring Kasumi back with her powers!! ^__^"

You know it to be true.

It's not an obsession, we post in the anime forum and many of us think Misty was the best and most memorable character to come out of the anime. I love May too and I'm always happy to pipe on about her until the cows come home, but she's mentioned less, probably because she gets treated much more kindly by some members. 99% of the time someone brings up Misty, it's because she's being defended because of mindless haters talking crap about her.

Yeah we make threads about her, if the haters don't like discussing her then just don't go in them.

Problem solved.

people bring up may despite being gone in 2006, you know. and people will eventually bring up dawn.

this so called obsession isn't an obsession, and it's definitely not ridiculous. when a mother loses her son, she wants him back and she grieves over him. this woman's friends won't come at her and say garbage like, "why are you obsessed with your son? he's gone." it's just like misty. some people really liked misty, and her departure truly affected them. it's like charmed. prue died and she got replaced by paige. i have never seen anyone call prue's fans "obsessed." on the show, no one ever told piper and phoebe that they were obsessed with prue. prue was loved by some, just like misty.

Misty will always be missed since she is the first original girl. Her plot has not ended yet and thats why I think people want her back not just a few cameos but the for a whole season. I think if Misty achieved her goal people would talk about her less.

Misty will always be missed since she is the first original girl. Her plot has not ended yet and thats why I think people want her back not just a few cameos but the for a whole season. I think if Misty achieved her goal people would talk about her less.

What goal? Water Pokémon Master? That's about as vague and lofty as Ash's goal of being a Pokémon Master. We probably won't see that come into fruitation. Becoming a competent Gym Leader counts as "acheiving her goal".

But yeah, people were truamatized by the fact that the anime did the unthinkable and actually replaced the beloved female character with someone new. Frankly, it was for the better since Misty's character was stagnating when she was with Ash i.e, she couldn't really acheive her own goals when she was Ash's personal cheerleader. She didn't really represent anything beyond maybe making mono-type teams, which are now considered impractical and no one in the cast does this anymore.

Considering May is constantly brought up daily, I don't see the difference. When AG originally ended most people expected specials of May in Johto, although that didn't happen.

Over the entire span of DP people constantly compared Dawn and her Contest arc to May's. Its almost as if every little thing Dawn did was compared to May, as well as the Contests.

Its obvious because they have the same goal, but even their rivals are constantly compared.

Last edited:
What goal? Water Pokémon Master? That's about as vague and lofty as Ash's goal of being a Pokémon Master. We probably won't see that come into fruitation. Becoming a competent Gym Leader counts as "acheiving her goal".

Wrong gym leader and water pokemon master are two completely different things.

Whole reason Misty left the gym in first place was to go pursue her dream of becoming water pokemon master,several times tating how she wants to become worlds best water pokemon trainer.
Its similar to Ashs,with difference being that Ash wants to become best trainer of all types,while Misty strives to become best with one type.

What does involve being one of top water trainers in world?Someone who is highly skilled as trainer being wordlwide recognized,being at least on levels of E4 trainers or champions,very likely even higher.Several members of E4 like Lorelai,or Lance are labelled as one type masters which shows how Mistys goal has connections with this aswell.

Nevertheless if you watched Whirl cup episodes,you would notice how gym has absolutely nothing to do with Mistys goal.Prof.Elm himself confirmed in "Around the Whirlpool" how winner of Whirl Cup wins title Alpha Omega of water types,by which water masters in past used to be called,classifying prestige water competitions as tasks which are needed to be fullfilled in order for someone to come even close toward this goal.

Misty,not even once implied desire to become gym leader,returning back out of obligation during journey several times stating how competing in competitions and exploring about her favorite type in wild will help her to achieve here goal.Her goal is just as Ashs connected with travelling,not staying at one place where its impossible to become one of best trainers in world.
None of gym leaders ever managed to become not even close as strong like E4 or higher ups are and for a damn good reason.Gyms are basically a tool which serves to test trainers,with room for much improvement not being possible due to not having chance to battle stronger trainers,learn more through various competitions,gaining knowleadge from wild and other regions.

There are several proofs which beats down theory of gym leader meaning pokemon master for a very good reason.

Frankly, it was for the better since Misty's character was stagnating when she was with Ash i.e, she couldn't really acheive her own goals when she was Ash's personal cheerleader.

Reason why Mistys gol wasnt explored enough while travelling with Ash was writers fault,at that time not having experience nor knowleadge to handle some things correctly.Same reason why Ash didnt had proper rivals,why pokemon werent getting miuch of developoment and screentime as they began to gain later on,why villains werent treated decently etc.

If your looking for further proof,ex head writer Takeshi Shudo admitted himself,how he regrets not developing Misty more being his fault.

Given how much writing has improved,in these days Mistys goal if she was on cast would be expanded more upon,not being only reserved to few occasions and one tournament like Whirl Cup was.Just like May and Dawn didnt had problem pursuing their gols while travelling with Ashs,Misty wouldnt have any difficulties aswell.

Power of plot decides what will happen,with writers being allowed to do what they want.

Last edited:
it's a thirty-minute advertisement for a video game.

Sadly, I have to agree. Sadly, because I always wanted this anime to go its own way, independently on games. But I see it goes more and more to advertisement.

I, personally, believe it is because she was the original girl, who alot of people grew up with, and that's why she's so well liked. I don't even see it as an obsession. I see her name mentioned, and people here like to start something out of it by making unecessary comments.

But I suppouse I can see where the annoyance comes from. Just for example, I'm in(what I believe is)the minority of people who truly dislike Dawn, and I get so sick of reading "OMG DAWN IS THE BEST!!!1" posts. But I don't respond to those posts with obnoxious comments, or an attempt to start a flame war. I just ignore them, which I think some people should learn to do. Opinoins do not always need to be voiced.

This is all imo, of course :)

Misty fans are ridiculously vocal. I think it may have to do with the fact that she was the first of Ash's traveling partners and her departure and "replacement" with a girl with an actual goal came as a surprise, even a betrayal of sorts, to some fans who have been with Pokemon since the beginning. Those fans have either left the fandom in anger, or became incredibly vocal about the "need" to bring her back.

I think it's incredibly obnoxious, but what do I know, I've never been a Misty fan. Not that I dislike her, but... frankly, the vocal fans are making me tread into that area.

I think it may have to do with the fact that she was the first of Ash's traveling partners and her departure and "replacement" with a girl with an actual goal came as a surprise, even a betrayal of sorts,

Misty had goal to(water pokemon master),it just happens writers didnt expanded enough on it leaving this plot unresolved which i already explained why earlier on.

Those fans have either left the fandom in anger, or became incredibly vocal about the "need" to bring her back.

I agree that Misty fans can be sometimes overpushing,but on other hand there is nothing wrong with someone wanting that his favorite returns back with reasons existing.You can see same kind of demands from May and soon enough Dawn fans(though to much,much smaller extent).
People have different opinions and this should be respected.

Personally i cant blame their dissapointment,when its taken into account how in these days Misty is basically forgotten being shafted to very rare and short appearances,when she deserves much more(in my opinion anyway).

She had personality, which other main Pokémon girls have not had. May somewhat, though she was a little dull, and Dawn had none.
At least, in my opinion.

As well as a lot of people "grew up" with Misty, so generally they miss her character.

Yeah, it's probably just because Misty was the first one and has that huge nostalgia factor going for her, maybe partly because of the lack of resolution, but I really can't figure out exactly which part of that makes her so important that normal threads can turn into nasty arguments just by mentioning her. :|

this so called obsession isn't an obsession, and it's definitely not ridiculous. when a mother loses her son, she wants him back and she grieves over him. this woman's friends won't come at her and say garbage like, "why are you obsessed with your son? he's gone." it's just like misty. some people really liked misty, and her departure truly affected them.

Pokemon characters =/= dead children, wtf. And comparisons like that don't make it look any less like an obsession.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom