• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

October 18 episode title revealed

So, that proves nothing. They're mostly not caring about Ash and Pokemon he catches. Please, let's this thread not become a Ash--next Pokemon thread

that wasn't the case with Asagi City... god damn Whirl Island arc. Honestly, what the hell were they thinking? Jouto was dragging out too much as it was, and they decide to plop a filler saga, much in the same vein as Orange Islands (though thankfully not as long but unfortunately not as good), right in the middle of a currently-running saga (as opposed to afterwards) as their way of saying "hey, guess what? It's gonna take even longer for Satoshi to finally get to that fucking tournament." -_-

Well, it did look like they were trying to do something with Misty at least with that. I like the Whirl cup for that reason alone, its when the writers basically admitted they were treating Misty like crap and gave her a water-themed tournament so she wasn't completely pointless anymore.

Of course...that doesn't explain why they barely focused on her during the rest of Johto after, but they were already planning on bringing May in at the time so they probably just gave up on her altogether since they knew they weren't keeping her.

I have to admit I'm glad May never suffered the same fate and was almost constantly promoted in Battle Frontier...even after the Grand Festival ended! So...yeah, Whirl Cup wasn't a bad idea since it was a decent last hurrah for Misty at least.

Last edited:
It's gonna be a long time before Ash gets his next badge though.
That's okay with me though.

I'm in no hurry, and besides, I love filler episodes! ^_^

Of course, I don't watch the Japanese version, but I've been hearing that D/P has great fillers so far! And that's good news for me.

And all of a sudden, I'm being reminded of Johto, what with all these episodes in between Ash getting his next badge. Because in Johto, there were always huge gaps between Ash getting to the next town and getting another badge. XD

I don't know if this means the writers are gonna make D/P more like Johto, but if they are, I certainly won't mind. Because I loved all of Johto! :)

Also, if D/P goes on for 3 seasons, I figure the last season of it will be really awesome, just like Master Quest was (in my opinion). ^^

Well, it did look like they were trying to do something with Misty at least with that. I like the Whirl cup for that reason alone, its when the writers basically admitted they were treating Misty like crap and gave her a water-themed tournament so she wasn't completely pointless anymore.
Yeah, I liked the Whirl Cup too!

Although, I thought for sure Ash was going to win. And he probably would've won the tournament too, if he hadn't forgot about Psyduck and its headaches. Poor Ash. ^^;

But then again, it did make more sense for Misty to win, given this was a tournament for Water Pokemon and Misty specializes in Water types. So yeah, it was a given for the writers to have Misty win. XD

Of course...that doesn't explain why they barely focused on her during the rest of Johto after, but they were already planning on bringing May in at the time so they probably just gave up on her altogether since they knew they weren't keeping her.
Well, I don't know if you'd call it "barely focusing on her"....

I mean, I thought the writers did fine, whenever they did put Misty in the spotlight.

Afterall, they somewhat focused on Misty in these episodes:

"Espeon, Not Included"
"Some Like It Hot"
"I Politoed Ya So"
"Just Add Water"

Of course, some episodes would tend to have more focus on Misty than other episodes would. But that's just how the writers like to handle side characters, like Brock and Misty.

In my opinion, the writers give the side characters an uneven amount of spotlight than main characters.

But apparently, it would seem this has all changed. They did it first with May in Hoenn. And now they're doing it again, with Dawn in Sinnoh.

I don't mind it, of course. I think it's great how the writers are trying to improve and give more spotlight to all the characters.

Though, as an Ash fan, I personally don't like it when the writers give him "nothing to do" and just put him in the stands watching (like during May's or Dawn's contests). I'd prefer if they actually had him training his Pokemon or something. ^^;

Last edited:
um, Lisa... Haruka and Hikari aren't side characters. It's pretty clear that they co-star along with Satoshi in Advanced Generation and Diamond/Pearl, respectively.

notice that I wasn't talking about the Whirl Cup, but the whole Whirl Island arc in general. Despite what you say, that still doesn't excuse the rest of the mini-saga, short though it may be, for being such a steaming pile of shit barely different from the rest of Jouto like it was (and I'll never understand why the 4kids's opening and KidsWB's adverts decided to treat the Whirl Islands like it was the sole focus of the entire last section of Jouto -_-). I mean, the Lugia episodes were alright (minus the presence of Deus Ex McClone), and you probably know by now that I loved the fat Poppo episode if only for the focus on Nyaasu (even though others ignore that point and deem it one of the worst episodes ever -_-), but the rest of it sucked balls. Also, you know as well as I that an episode where SATOSHI (and only him) leads a group of Chonchii couldn't have anything less to do with characterizing Kasumi.

um, Lisa... Haruka and Hikari aren't side characters. It's pretty clear that they co-star along with Satoshi in Advanced Generation and Diamond/Pearl, respectively.
Yeah, I know that.

But even though they're co-stars, that doesn't mean they are ABOVE Ash, in their importance to the series at least.

I mean, despite the fact that Dawn is a co-star to Ash in D/P, he should still get as much screentime as he always had in previous seasons (like Johto), because he is still the main character.

Anyway, all I'm saying is that it wouldn't make sense if say, all of a sudden, we had a string of Dawn-centered episodes, but we didn't get any episodes about Ash and/or his Pokemon for a long while.

Please note: The thread is from 17 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom