• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Of Cats and Lizards

ShinjiLover

Reaction score
This is my first crack at a Pokémon Mystery Dungeon fic. Note that I don't play the games often, I just know what it's all about. Anyhow, this chapter isn't very long and this fic is still a work-in-progress. Nevertheless, I hope you enjoy it! Also, don't complain about me using the Japanese Romaji instead of the Official Romanization for the Pokémon names. You know who you are.

The title of this fic is based off of the title 'Of Mice and Men', a book written by John Steinbeck. If you don't know who he is or if you don't know that book, you deserve this emoticon: o_O

Anyway, have fun reading this!

--

Chapter 1 - Battle Royale

I lay bored on my small, under-sized bed. The blue sheets just barely covered my lower body as I bounced a ball up and down on my medium-sized, tan tail. I let out a bored yawn; today was just not my day. I had no idea where I was or why I was a Pokémon. Oddly, though, I didn't seem to care about it. In the course of an hour, I was able to kick someone out of their own hut and take it over. Now that Pokémon was too afraid to even go near the hut. They said something about getting their teammates to defend them – Whatever that meant.

"Nya. ." I sighed, tossing the pink, rubber ball to the side and propping myself up on my elbow. For some reason, I had acquired a new speech pattern. I couldn't say that I had gained a different outlook on life, though, as I still found everything to be dull and unexciting. My pointed ears pricked and snapped me out of my daze as I heard footsteps running over to me. I turned around to face the brown door, only seeing the straw hanging from the roof. Looking closer to the dark, wooded floor, I could see three shadows. Both looked rather small and, of course, I found them dull.

"There she is, hoo!" The Pokémon from earlier, a small brown Pokémon, hopped into the house, glaring at me. I could see the rage in his eyes.

"Ah, so there's the little girl that was picking on my teammate," another male voice rang through my ears. He stepped into the room, revealing himself to be a salamander-like Pokémon with orange skin and flame crackling from his tail. He smirked at me, but then became angry when I let out yet another yawn in my three-toed paw.

"So that's how you wanna play?" The boy asked, "bring it on!" He yelled, taunting me with his paw. Stretching my arms and legs, I stood up and got into a fight stance. I was sure I could take on this guy.

He opened his mouth, letting out a large blast of flames. In an instant, I jumped to the side, avoiding the fiery blaze, and ran at him with my claws extended. He ran at me as well, his paw turning a bright silver color before he slammed it down across the right side of my face. With a grunt, I landed on my back in agony. I was able to prop myself up on the ball of my left paw and rub my cheek with my right. The taller, more muscular Pokémon came at me with another attack, this time just keeping his claws extended as mine were. I hopped up and slammed my claws into his, created a loud, sword-like sound. He smirked at me yet again.

"You're pretty good," he chuckled, "I can see why you beat my teammate. But you forgot one thing."
"Yeah? And what may that be?" I asked with just a hint of boredom in my angry tone.
"My other teammate!" The boy ducked, only to have me hit with a barrage of sharp, pointed leaves from above. I put my arms up in defense, taking away some of the damage. Still, I was badly hurt. Looking up to see my attacker, I could see a small, green Pokémon with flowers for hands in the air, shooting leaves at me.

As quickly as it began, the onslaught discontinued. The green Pokémon landed on its feet on the ground right between the orange and brown Pokémon.

"Hitokage!" The orange one introduced himself, starting from the left.
"Rozeria!" The green one introduced herself, following suit.
"Hoho!" The brown one finally introduced himself. They all got into a sort of pose with Hitokage pointing to the left and Hoho pointing his wing to the right. Rozeria placed her flowers on her hips.

"And we're the Triple Action Squad!" They called simultaneously, awaiting my reaction. I put my paw up to my mouth, making them watch in anticipation, thinking I'd do something worthwhile. Or perhaps they though I'd cower in fear at their very names. Instead, I yawned, making them all fall to the ground in embarrassment. Hitokage was the first to get up.

"Don't you know who we are!?" He shouted angrily, pumping his fist at me.
"Should I care?" I asked, giving them a bored, uninterested expression.
"We're the best team this side of the Pokémon recruits!" Rozeria yelled in anger.
"If you want this hut back, you can have it," I said with a shrug, "it's boring here anyway."
"It's not about the hut any more!" Hoho stepped up, although he still seemed scared, "it's about pride!" Something about this was amusing to me, making me start chuckling at the triple whatever they were called. It felt nice to laugh, considering I hadn't laughed in a while. However, my laugh sounded like a bunch of 'nya's stuck together.

"Is that funny to you!?" Hoho yelled, flapping his wings in anger. I shot a glare at him, making him chirp another 'hoo' before hiding behind Rozeria. Now I was getting angry with their yelling.

"Listen, Triple Dweeb Squad, does it look like I care about pride or anything that you guys are talking about?" I asked, clenching my fists, "because I don't!" I had absolutely no interest in who they were or, rather, what they were.

"That's the Triple Action Squad, and you'd better learn some respect!" Rozeria yelled, thrusting her red flower at me. Immediately, a burst of leaves flew at me again like bullets from a gun. With the speed and agility of a cat, I extended my claws and slashed away all of the leaves that would do me harm. However, my paws were now torn-up and in pain. I growled at the team, my fur standing on end as I did so. They were starting to aggravate me, and I did not like agitation. Before they were able to make a move, I ran at Hitokage, my biggest threat, and started to swipe at him with my claws in a rage. Hitokage was only able to evade the first three and was hit by the last four that I had dished out.

He fell backwards, wiping off some of the blood that fell from the wound I placed across his right cheek. Hitokage stood up and shot out another blast of fire. I jumped out of the way, but my left arm was caught in the flames. Being unable to attack, I fell to my knee and held onto my arm. It was definitely burnt and painful; however, I managed to ignore the shooting pain and jump back to my hind paws.

"You have some serious guts," Hitokage spat, wiping off a mixture of sweat and blood from his cheek, "it's three against one and you're still fighting."

I just stared at him with a blank expression on my face. This fight made me feel like I was pro. I had become a Pokémon just one hour ago and I was already able to take on three Pokémon at a time.

"Hitokage, let's just let the poor Nyaasu leave," Rozeria said, knowing I was both allowing them the chance to take the hut back and in pain. Honestly, I didn't want to fight them. Hitokage stared at me for a moment and then looked away with a small pout on his face.

"Hmpf, fine," he grumbled with a hint of irritation in his voice. Because they were permitting me to leave, I stumbled out of the hut slowly. I received a glare from Hitokage once I passed by and shot him a look. Looking away from him, Rozeria, and Hoho, I forced my tired limbs to take me outside. Hoho looked sadly at me, knowing I was exhausted from fighting with Hitokage and Rozeria and that I had nowhere else to go.

He was correct, but I knew I deserved it. I shouldn't have kicked Hoho out of his own house anyway and it was wrong of me. My thoughts raced in my head as I trudged to small, peaceful lake a few blocks away from the scene where I fought. Continuing to hold my arm, I sat atop a large, grey rock and stared into the lake. This world was definitely different. I wondered if I'd ever get home.

--

Hope you liked it! Note that this will be a short fic, probably only about 15-20 chapters long. Please give me a constructive review. =]

THAT'S BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have given me loads of tips.

Sorry, because I am not gonna give you a very long review (I'm not very good with reviews) but it is turning out to be a great fic. Just think: You could turn out to be great with writing fics. You said you would only have 15 or 20 chapters, but mine will last for at least 30 chapters. Who knows? =]

Man the main characters got an attitude just like the other characters you write about ...eh they deserved it XD

Thanks, you two. Chapter two will be up in about two days. That's a lot that has to deal with the number two.

Thanks, LightningTopaz! It's a real compliment coming from ya. ^_~ Sure, I'll try to make the paragraphs a little bit shorter in the next chapter. =]

EDIT:
Chapter two is up sooner than expected! Hope you guys like this as much as you like the first chapter. In chapter two, we see relationships begin to form and a plot begin to take place. =P

--

Chapter 2 - A New Rival Appears! Heruga!

The water in the lake sit motionless as I watched a few of the Koikingu and Ruriri swim around, happily playing with one another. My emotionless face was reflected back to me, showing my bored eyes and my long, pointy whiskers. It was certainly a sight to see – once a human, now a Pokémon. Everything was confusing and queer; I didn't know how I had be turned into a Pokémon or what I was supposed to do. I didn't know what Pokémon did or how they acted.

Behind me, I could hear the strides and marches of younger-looking Pokémon on a nature hike. Beside me, on the left, I could hear two Pokémon frolicking about, enjoying the beautiful summer day. I assumed they were with the nature hikers, because as soon as they were out of ear shot, so were the other two.

I sat in the silence, listening to the wind blow through the trees and the leaves fall into the water. My hearing was more acute in this new form, along with my sense of smell and my sight. However, despite the ups to this new form, I hated it. Looking into my paw, I found myself completely unfamiliar with this God forsaken body. All I wanted was to get out of it and return to my normal, boring life.

"Well, well, well," I heard a deep, male voice in front of me. I continued to look into the lake as two pairs of feet walked toward me. "What do we have here? A straggler?" He chuckled menacingly, making me look up at the culprit. His very chuckle sent shivers down my spine, but his figure made my fur stand on end. He was big, dark, and had an aura that reeked of evil thoughts and bad intentions.

Quickly, I hopped off of the rock and got into a fighting stance. This made him cackle even harder, again causing me to cringe in fear. For the first time in a long time, I felt my heart race in my chest and my knees quiver below me. I didn't know what he wanted, but I knew it wasn't good.

"You want to fight me?" He asked with a low, grumbling growl, "I guess I have no other choice. Allow me to introduce myself, I am Heruga." The hell hound tilted his head to the side, showing me his large, pointed horns. His tail flicked excitedly from one side to the other in a rapid motion. I didn't reply and simply extended my claws, preparing myself for a fight.

Heruga snickered at me, laughing at my silent enthusiasm. Without a word, he shot his head forward and opened his muzzle, spitting an inferno at me. It was so fast, I was unable to dodge, so I took the attack spot on. The flames burned my whiskers and singed my fur; however, I was able to push past the pain and get back on my hind paws once the assault was over. I didn't even think as I ran at him with claws abound.

In one swipe, I scratched at him; unfortunately, he disappeared. My eyes widened as I lost sight of him. In a split second, he reappeared behind me and scorched me with his fiery breath once more. This time, it was my back that was charred. I fell face forward, twitching and convulsing in pain as I tried to force myself back up. This opponent was a tough one, I could tell.

"All of that confidence and you couldn't beat me?" He asked, slamming his paw on my back. My body flopped from one inch off the ground to right back into the hard crust of the earth. Grunting, I tried one last time to turn around and slash him across the face. But I was unsuccessful in my attempts as I was unable to even move my arms.

"As quickly as it began, I'm going to end it," he snickered, opening his mouth and forming a ball of fire from the back of his throat. I watched helplessly as the flame grew bigger and more intense, staring at me with nothing but the word 'death' written all over it. I knew it was over and I knew I had been defeated. After just an hour in this body, I was going to be burnt to a crisp.

Just as he was about to shoot the hellish flames, bullet-like balls of fire were projected at him, taking him by surprise and knocking him off of me. I weakly turned my head to see my savior.

"Don't you ever mess with her!" He shouted, getting his claws ready.
"H- . . Hitokage," I muttered in a breathless tone, like my lungs had no more air in them.
"Why you little brat!" Heruga shouted, standing up from his side and glowering at Hitokage. Hitokage smirked at him, placing his hands on his hips. For a while, Heruga glared in frustration at Hitokage. But then he sneered, offending Hitokage.

"I'll be back for you," Heruga said, disappearing without a trace. Hitokage rushed over to me, helping me up.
"Are you all right?" He asked, concerned about my well being.
"I'm fine," I said, grunting as I tried to keep myself standing up.
"C'mon, you have to rest," he stated, helping me up off the ground. At first, I was going to accept his help, but then I felt enraged. There was no way I needed someone to help me – especially if that someone was going to be Hitokage. I hissed at him from the back of my throat, telling him to back off. He stepped away from me, putting his hands up in defense.

"I don't need your help," I grumbled.
"Yes, you do! You're burnt and you need to rest and get treatment and-" I stopped him from talking by slashing him across the right side of his face with my three claws. Once the attack was over, he stumbled backwards and slowly turned his head. The look on his face was that of utter shock and surprise as he brought his paw up to touch his face. He seemed to be in awe that I would attack someone who only wanted to be a friend. After a moment, his face twisted to make him look angry. I understood why, as now both sides of his face were scratched and the left side was bleeding.

His fists clenched and I thought I saw some flames come out the sides of his mouth with ever exhalation.
"Fine, you don't want help? That's just fine!" He shouted in a fit of rage, "I don't want to help you, anyway! You're ungrateful, rude, arrogant, and annoying!" He turned around, stomping off in a huff. I looked down at the ground as my eye lids slumped in a sad fashion. He was right. I was ungrateful and rude. Never have I told anyone thank you and never have I ever tried to be kind. I knew I had to change my ways as this was not a good path for me. Looking up, I noticed he wasn't quite of my sight just yet.

"W-Wait. ." I said softly, my arms hovering in front of me and my tail down low. He stopped his paces but didn't bother facing me. With a sigh, I finally said, "you're right. . I'm sorry."

He let out a grunt and his eyes were wide when he turned to look at me, "you're. . Sorry?"
I nodded, looking back at the light brown soil.
Hitokage smiled softly at me and slowly made his way back over, grabbing my paw, "don't worry about it. C'mon, let's get going." I looked up into his soft, blue eyes and felt my lips curve upwards, forming a smile.

It was the first time in as long as I could remember that I felt happy and wanted, and I believe that my smile showed it all. Upon noticing my smile, his cheeks and the bridge of his nose turned a soft pink. Hitokage quickly turned his head away from me in embarrassment and pouted his lower lip ever so slightly. Without saying a word, he started moving his legs, making me follow closely after him. This may be the one and only time I make a friend. That being, I was trying desperately not to ruin it.

--

There ya go! Chapter 2. Start reviewing, people. ^_~

Last edited:
*eyes shine* It's great! Like someone said, it's turning out to be a great fic, congratulations!

Thanks Sayaka! I'm just glad you took the time out to read this. ^^ Watch for chapter 3, which will be coming real soon!

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom