• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Offensive Salamence in OU

Suicune Rider

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
Is it still viable? I mean, what about the MixMence sets from previous generations? They may be far less effective, but Salamence can always run iron Tail.
Suggest some attacking Salamence sets in OU; if I do run MixMence for the surprise factor, what other wallbreaker works with it, and how should I EV it?

scizor comes to mind when i think of wall breakers. I usually try to pair it with a mixed hydreigon, but it should work with mence too. Bullet Punch is great against fairies and it resists Ice Beam which is the bane of dragons. Bulky is the way to go with it 252 HP, 252 Attack, and 4 in anything else.

salamence is honestly bad, it's only useful on really niche teams. Try zardX, dragonite, mscecptile, etc if you want a dragon type sweeper or wallbreaker

But Salamence was so good in the past ut was banned in DPPt...what made it fall from Uber to UU?

But Salamence was so good in the past ut was banned in DPPt...what made it fall from Uber to UU?

You always say stuff like this. "it was good in the past". That line of thinking is not sound at all, DPPt is an entirely different meta than ORAS. No megas, no team preview, no Fairies, two entire generations of Pokémon, items, and moves not present... Being good in DPPt means nothing. Salamence is bad because it is bad, it is too slow and too weak with very few pros over the other options in the ORAS meta

But what specific changes (aside of the obvious new Fairy-type) name Salamence fall like this?
And how good is Hydreigon in OU?

Salamence was viable in ORAS OU when Salamencite was legal, ie M-Salamence. Had natural bulk and Aerilate plus D-Dance meant it blew everything back, duly resulting in a ban to Ubers. As Glory Blaze has mentioned regular Salamence just doesn't have good speed compared to other Dragons and hits roughly the same, if not weaker, than them. Obviously new Pokemon have come into the meta that give it a hard time, Fairy-type prevents Outrage/Draco Meteor spam, and quite frankly you're better off running Latios/Latias in offensive teams due to it's far superior speed and power output, plus the additional Psychic-typing can be useful.

For Hydreigon, it's a very strong UU pick in my experience. Would definitely have some viability in OU but there's a bunch more Fairy-types and other threats like Keldeo that do limit it.

I don't know about other offensive sets, but I like to use Scarf Moxie Salamence a lot in UU. It's a pretty good revenge killer/cleaner, but I tried using it in OU and it was very inconsistent. The plethora of Rough Skin/Iron Barbs/Rocky Helmet users, Fairy types, intimidate users, priority users, bulky Steel types, along with Salemence's middling speed tier and slight 4MSS make it a tough Mon to use consistently in OU. It can get a few surprise kills during some battles but overall there are better choices for scarfers in the tier, even among other Dragon types (Kyurem-B and even Garchomp).

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom