1. Interested in joining the Bulbagarden staff? See details here.
  2. Updated #2: The forums are going to be down Tomorrow (23rd of January) in the morning (JST) for maintenance as we upgrade the software to XenForo 2. Particularly of note is that blogs are going to be removed for the time being, but we are getting a lot of new features with the upgrade.

For more details, see this thread.

SPOILERS: Official Generation 8 Speculation & Leaks Thread (Updated 22nd Sept 2018)

Discussion in 'Pokémon Video Games' started by Pyrax, Mar 14, 2018.

1. techitisJ

techitisJ Active Member

Blog Posts:
    Yass a Kelpie Pokemon would be so cool, and Ponyta would be perfect to help fill that roll (though a new Pokemon would be really cool too). I've seen a lot of good types thrown on Ponyta and so many of them work really well. I think I once saw a Electric/Flying type which was real neat. It would be nice for Ponyta to get something new.

And yass there is so many options for a water Arcanine. It would just be the coolest thing

Yeah I think the chance of the starters getting variants is really low, but i hope it is something GF has considered.

Poke Trey, PocketMonster and Oriden like this.
  2. Icy Wind

Icy Wind New Year. New Leaf.

Blog Posts:
    You're missing the point... the point is that a Nintendo employee is very unlikely to show confidential art to an artist, and the odds of that artist having a photographic memory are even lower.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  3. Oriden

Oriden Here to ride the rumor train.

Blog Posts:
    Here's a good example of drawing from memory.

1997 Space World event, photography was not permitted. Demos of Pokemon Gold and Silver were shown to the public, thousands of people saw them, but just one known person drew them from memory and posted them online-

[​IMG]

What those pokemon actually looked like-

index.png

That is what it looks like when you draw from memory. You just get the gist of something, you don't draw it in extensive detail. Notice how many of the markings are missing or poorly represented.

4. sj01blue

sj01blue New Member

Blog Posts:
    I know this is a bit late but what happened to the rumoured direct that was supposed to happen on Thursday? Is there a new date that people are speculating again?

It has to be sometime this month, right?

5. Lufenium

Lufenium I I I

Blog Posts:
    These aren't drawn from memory, I'm pretty sure these are actual official concept arts of Pokemon, scrapped or not.

6. Champion Cynthia

Champion Cynthia Active Member

Blog Posts:
    So most likely these sketches will not be what the actual ones he saw will look like. I'd say the sketch and the possible true Starters if so would be 75%-85% accurate

7. Oriden

Blog Posts:
    They're not. They are confirmed to have been drawn from memory by an attendee of the event. That "official concept art" thing is widespread misinformation.

8. Oriden

Blog Posts:
    Most likely these sketches are drawn by a fan artist passing them off as a leak.

9. Champion Cynthia

Champion Cynthia Active Member

Blog Posts:
    at the time.

Before the reveal of the real thing that proved them being half the truth.

10. Oriden

Blog Posts:
    Probably not even half. More like 0% accurate. Maybe 5% if they're lucky.

11. TechSkylander1518

TechSkylander1518 Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Piuk promised all other leaks (including the LGPE leaks) were fake, and that his games were the first on the Switch, so I don't think it really matters if we misunderstood him.
    The starter leaks for Gen 7 featured a tiger Fire-type, which followed expectations about the Chinese zodiac (regardless of whether one believes in it or not), and they turned out to be true. I don't think this is a very good gauge of quality.
    Actually, what he said was that they were "designed for Switch".

View: https://twitter.com/pixelpar/status/960585022997659649

LGPE were in development for "around two years" before the announce date, putting the start of its development in May 2016, so it was already "Pokemon Switch" at the time of Pixelpar's tweet. (actually, it was already "Pokemon Switch" at the time of SuMo's release) And Ohmori said they had the newer team working on USUM while the veterans worked on LGPE. That leaves us with three possibilities:
    1. Turner was designing UBs for LGPE (a game which doesn't feature UBs at all) and then got brought onto USUM (a game which heavily features UBs)
    2. Turner was designing UBs for Gen 8 while the rest of Game Freak worked on LGPE or USUM.
    3. Pixelpar was given incorrect information.
    I'm pretty sure 3 is the most likely option, considering Pixelpar, while still credible, has been shown to fall for fakes in the past.

12. Icy Wind

Icy Wind New Year. New Leaf.

Blog Posts:
    There are credible insiders on other sites claiming there will be a Nintendo direct this month, just didn’t say what day.

Remember though, the chances of a Pokemon reveal in a general direct are low.

13. Lufenium

Lufenium I I I

Blog Posts:
    Do you have a source for this confirmation? I'm interested in this as I've always seen them mixed in with the actual Game Freak artwork on site pages and videos. Even Bulba uses them on certain pages.

14. Oriden

Blog Posts:
    Yeah Bulba hasn't really made much progress on updating their information for the demo yet, but I've gone through and removed the "concept art" bits from most of those pages. I think Bulbapedia is largely responsible for the misinformation getting so widespread in the first place. =/

But here's a twitter post from the artist after someone from The Cutting Room Floor reached out to them-
    View: https://twitter.com/dmrn28/status/1006084888712208384

15. sj01blue

sj01blue New Member

Blog Posts:
    I was wondering what would happen to the Diamond & Pearl remakes IF the Pokemon game this year ends up being really advanced in gameplay and graphics. For example: following/rideable Pokemon, rotatable camera, walking NPCS?, a bit more open world and less linear, overworld Pokemon etc.

Would Gamefreak add all these new mechanics to the upcoming remakes of Diamond and Pearl, whenever that may be, or would they stay true to the originals and go back to a traditional style e.g. fixed bird's eye view, fully linear, no overworld Pokemon. I personally think they would use the new mechanics as it would be like a step backwards for players but I'm not 100%.

Also, this new Pokemon game being released before the Diamond and Pearl remakes, does that indicate that Gen 8 won't be the year of improved mechanics, but instead they will do that with the Pokemon game released after Diamond & Pearl remakes?

Minya_Nouvelle and Poke Dragon like this.
  16. LunarCaliber

LunarCaliber Member

Blog Posts:
    Well, yeah. I even has a speech impairment in real life. I am okay with it. ;)

17. AngryBinacle

AngryBinacle Member

Blog Posts:
    The leaks are so fake, they're not even trying.

SinnohEevee and Freak-Pokemon like this.
  18. Oriden

Blog Posts:
    Well, look at what they did with Ruby and Sapphire's remakes?

If it runs on the same engine as Gen 8, and if they are released in Gen 8 then it surely will, then they will upgrade them, no question about it. The only reason to keep the linear maps with LGPE was for nostalgia's sake- judging by how they were trying to sell it at E3, the intention was for older players to share their childhood memories with younger players, so they made the maps familiar and even kept a lot of the old dialogue.

19. sj01blue

sj01blue New Member

Blog Posts:
    Don't worry/stress about how you're typing. You are doing just fine! :) We all understand you (y)

20. sj01blue

sj01blue New Member

Blog Posts:
    Yeah I agree with this. What about the last line that I added in?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.