• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Odds of a Nintendo employee showing official materials to an artist with photographic memory, though.
I had a photographic memory of an Animation Showcase Exhibit that happened at the Magna Steelworks Museum in Rotherham over a decade ago. I saw the chapel scene with the gold bullets from ''Wallace and Gromit Curse of the Wererabbit'', an animated series based on living on floating landmasses that became a thing an yet have forgotten it's name. And plans for an animated series taking place in a desert with two flying vehicles and one truck with the back like an armadillo and the front with tusks like a boar. Had there ever been a series with those descriptions, and if so, what is it called? Unless that never saw the light of day.

*excited buzz* Water-type Ponyta! Maybe Water/Grass- give it a very swampy look, maybe base it on a kelpie. Or just pure Water, give it a tail fin and base it on a hippocampus. I would love that.

Really really want a swamp horse, though. I don't care if it's a regional variant or a new pokemon, a swamp horse would be cool.

I could also go for a Ghost-type Ponyta- ghost horse, why not.

Also that Water Arcanine we didn't get because there's so much potential for a great design there.

Oooooh, I was thinking how I would rule out starters as having variants before I read this- I like this idea. Still kinda feel like that it would be super unlikely, but this concept is very very good- GameFreak should consider it. Of course, if they did, it would most likely apply to the Kanto starters, no big surprise. But hey, it's something.

Yass a Kelpie Pokemon would be so cool, and Ponyta would be perfect to help fill that roll (though a new Pokemon would be really cool too). I've seen a lot of good types thrown on Ponyta and so many of them work really well. I think I once saw a Electric/Flying type which was real neat. It would be nice for Ponyta to get something new.

And yass there is so many options for a water Arcanine. It would just be the coolest thing

Yeah I think the chance of the starters getting variants is really low, but i hope it is something GF has considered.

I had a photographic memory of an Animation Showcase Exhibit that happened at the Magna Steelworks Museum in Rotherham over a decade ago. I saw the chapel scene with the gold bullets from ''Wallace and Gromit Curse of the Wererabbit'', an animated series based on living on floating landmasses that became a thing an yet have forgotten it's name. And plans for an animated series taking place in a desert with two flying vehicles and one truck with the back like an armadillo and the front with tusks like a boar. Had there ever been a series with those descriptions, and if so, what is it called? Unless that never saw the light of day.
You're missing the point... the point is that a Nintendo employee is very unlikely to show confidential art to an artist, and the odds of that artist having a photographic memory are even lower.

Last edited:
Here's a good example of drawing from memory.

1997 Space World event, photography was not permitted. Demos of Pokemon Gold and Silver were shown to the public, thousands of people saw them, but just one known person drew them from memory and posted them online-

4dbda4b667b423e4f48c6fe3dfaed356e2434221_hq.jpg

What those pokemon actually looked like-

index.png

That is what it looks like when you draw from memory. You just get the gist of something, you don't draw it in extensive detail. Notice how many of the markings are missing or poorly represented.

Last edited:
I know this is a bit late but what happened to the rumoured direct that was supposed to happen on Thursday? Is there a new date that people are speculating again?

It has to be sometime this month, right?

1997 Space World event, photography was not permitted. Demos of Pokemon Gold and Silver were shown to the public, thousands of people saw them, but just one known person drew them from memory and posted them online-

These aren't drawn from memory, I'm pretty sure these are actual official concept arts of Pokemon, scrapped or not.

What those pokemon actually looked like-

View attachment 115028

That is what it looks like when you draw from memory. You just get the gist of something, you don't draw it in extensive detail. Notice how many of the markings are missing or poorly represented.
So most likely these sketches will not be what the actual ones he saw will look like. I'd say the sketch and the possible true Starters if so would be 75%-85% accurate

So most likely these sketches will not be what the actual ones he saw will look like. I'd say the sketch and the possible true Starters if so would be 75%-85% accurate
Most likely these sketches are drawn by a fan artist passing them off as a leak.

Hi Guys, I known you were talking about Plus and Minus rumors. I also thought about Piuk's rumors last night. I think we has might misunderstood him/her in her/her rumor.

I finally figured out what Piuk were saying.
Piuk promised all other leaks (including the LGPE leaks) were fake, and that his games were the first on the Switch, so I don't think it really matters if we misunderstood him.
- No Eeveelutions. Some people expect an Eeveelution in Generation 8. This leak goes against it (And the Eeveelution = Even Generation pattern). It’s “going against people’s expectations”, like other Leaks, so it could end up being real.
The starter leaks for Gen 7 featured a tiger Fire-type, which followed expectations about the Chinese zodiac (regardless of whether one believes in it or not), and they turned out to be true. I don't think this is a very good gauge of quality.
- Connection to Ultra Beasts is also interesting since Pixelpar mentioned something about James Turner designing ultra beasts for Generation 8, rather than Gen 7.
Actually, what he said was that they were "designed for Switch".

View: https://twitter.com/pixelpar/status/960585022997659649

LGPE were in development for "around two years" before the announce date, putting the start of its development in May 2016, so it was already "Pokemon Switch" at the time of Pixelpar's tweet. (actually, it was already "Pokemon Switch" at the time of SuMo's release) And Ohmori said they had the newer team working on USUM while the veterans worked on LGPE. That leaves us with three possibilities:
  1. Turner was designing UBs for LGPE (a game which doesn't feature UBs at all) and then got brought onto USUM (a game which heavily features UBs)
  2. Turner was designing UBs for Gen 8 while the rest of Game Freak worked on LGPE or USUM.
  3. Pixelpar was given incorrect information.
I'm pretty sure 3 is the most likely option, considering Pixelpar, while still credible, has been shown to fall for fakes in the past.

I know this is a bit late but what happened to the rumoured direct that was supposed to happen on Thursday? Is there a new date that people are speculating again?

It has to be sometime this month, right?
There are credible insiders on other sites claiming there will be a Nintendo direct this month, just didn’t say what day.

Remember though, the chances of a Pokemon reveal in a general direct are low.

They're not. They are confirmed to have been drawn from memory by an attendee of the event. That "official concept art" thing is widespread misinformation.

Do you have a source for this confirmation? I'm interested in this as I've always seen them mixed in with the actual Game Freak artwork on site pages and videos. Even Bulba uses them on certain pages.

Do you have a source for this confirmation? I'm interested in this as I've always seen them mixed in with the actual Game Freak artwork on site pages and videos. Even Bulba uses them on certain pages.
Yeah Bulba hasn't really made much progress on updating their information for the demo yet, but I've gone through and removed the "concept art" bits from most of those pages. I think Bulbapedia is largely responsible for the misinformation getting so widespread in the first place. =/

But here's a twitter post from the artist after someone from The Cutting Room Floor reached out to them-
View: https://twitter.com/dmrn28/status/1006084888712208384

I was wondering what would happen to the Diamond & Pearl remakes IF the Pokemon game this year ends up being really advanced in gameplay and graphics. For example: following/rideable Pokemon, rotatable camera, walking NPCS?, a bit more open world and less linear, overworld Pokemon etc.

Would Gamefreak add all these new mechanics to the upcoming remakes of Diamond and Pearl, whenever that may be, or would they stay true to the originals and go back to a traditional style e.g. fixed bird's eye view, fully linear, no overworld Pokemon. I personally think they would use the new mechanics as it would be like a step backwards for players but I'm not 100%.

Also, this new Pokemon game being released before the Diamond and Pearl remakes, does that indicate that Gen 8 won't be the year of improved mechanics, but instead they will do that with the Pokemon game released after Diamond & Pearl remakes?

Last edited:
I was wondering what would happen to the Diamond & Pearl remakes if the Pokemon game this year ends up being really advanced in gameplay and graphics. For example: following/rideable Pokemon, rotatable camera, walking NPCS?, a bit more open world and less linear, overworld Pokemon etc.

Would Gamefreak add all these new mechanics to the upcoming remakes of Diamond and Pearl, whenever that may be, or would they stay true to the originals and go back to a traditional style e.g. fixed bird's eye view, fully linear, no overworld Pokemon. I personally think they would use the new mechanics as it would be like a step backwards for players but I'm not 100%.
Well, look at what they did with Ruby and Sapphire's remakes?

If it runs on the same engine as Gen 8, and if they are released in Gen 8 then it surely will, then they will upgrade them, no question about it. The only reason to keep the linear maps with LGPE was for nostalgia's sake- judging by how they were trying to sell it at E3, the intention was for older players to share their childhood memories with younger players, so they made the maps familiar and even kept a lot of the old dialogue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom