• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually enjoyed LGPE, they did a lot of things right. Yes game was lazy and safe, but they did a lot of things right that the series has been needing for many years. Ability to skip cutscenes, beautiful. Less forced tutorials and the ability to do what you wanted with less hand holding, great. Another game and timeline where the events of the anime were cannon, this was long overdue as well.

I would like to think this was a cheap introduction in how Gamefreak could get used to Switch infrastructure and hardware, and that may assist with Generation 8.

So, how will we access Pokemon Bank on the Switch? Will the Switch also have Poke Transporter or another app that works with Pokemon Bank?

If Gen 8 is going to be Pokemon Go and LGPE accessible. What will that leave Pokemon Bank and all the Pokemon stored from the past main games?

Masuda remarked a while back that they are looking at Bank, and Pokemon LGPE support in connecting with Gen 8, they just need an app on the switch server which connects with the 3ds, which is easily done.

If Gen 8 is going to be Pokemon Go and LGPE accessible. What will that leave Pokemon Bank and all the Pokemon stored from the past main games?
Pokemon Bank was made to last, I'm sure, and they are very intent on not having a repeat of what happened between Gen 2 and 3, so I'm sure that Switch will be able to connect with Bank eventually.

So, how will we access Pokemon Bank on the Switch? Will the Switch also have Poke Transporter or another app that works with Pokemon Bank?
We’ve talked about transferring between Pokemon Go and Let's Go. When the "core" Pokemon game planned for 2019 arrives, will there also be transfer possibilities between Let's Go and that title?

Masuda: We're definitely always thinking of that kind of forward-moving functionality, especially since we've introduced the Pokemon Bank. Now, up to Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, you're able to store your Pokemon. We know they're very important to everyone. I mean, obviously, people would be very sad if they couldn't use their Pokemon in a future game. So, it does get complicated when you talk about the details and we're still figuring it out, but we do have plans to find ways to let players use their Pokemon in the next game.

Masuda stepping down after LGPE was perfect timing, assuming he had minor involvement with gen 8. His focus on GO and conception of LGPE will be something good in the long term for the franchise as connecting the GO fanbase with the main series adds a ton of longevity, and also sort of fixes the issue of the games becoming too intimidating to new players (as LGPE is meant to be a proper introduction point) so he's a genius in that regard. He's also responsible for some of the best games in the series, so I respect him a ton for that, but his crazy fear of mobile games during the 3DS generation was absurd and definitely prevented good games from becoming even better. Having younger mindsets responsible as they've started developing on powerful console is perfect. They're on the switch now, which puts them directly in the realm of games like odyssey, BOTW, XBC2 and numerous AAA third party games like skyrim, doom, etc. To say "ah well people don't have enough time to play pokemon anymore due to smartphones, so we've tailored the games to that" definitely doesn't cut it on a home console.

I know that people see Ohmori as like, a masuda jr but I honestly feel with with sun/moon he at least showed that he's capable of taking risks and keeping things fresh. If there's one thing I took away from the gen 7 games, it's that gamefreak wants to experiment with the pokemon "formula" more, and that immersion, story,presentation and pokemon/trainer interaction is becoming a bigger focus for them and all of these things automatically benefit from being on a console much more powerful than the 3DS. Assuming he's directing the next games, and maybe has even less Masuda influence in him this time, I'm really hopeful for gen 8.

Masuda stepping down after LGPE was perfect timing, assuming he had minor involvement with gen 8. His focus on GO and conception of LGPE will be something good in the long term for the franchise as connecting the GO fanbase with the main series adds a ton of longevity, and also sort of fixes the issue of the games becoming too intimidating to new players (as LGPE is meant to be a proper introduction point) so he's a genius in that regard. He's also responsible for some of the best games in the series, so I respect him a ton for that, but his crazy fear of mobile games during the 3DS generation was absurd and definitely prevented good games from becoming even better. Having younger mindsets responsible as they've started developing on powerful console is perfect. They're on the switch now, which puts them directly in the realm of games like odyssey, BOTW, XBC2 and numerous AAA third party games like skyrim, doom, etc. To say "ah well people don't have enough time to play pokemon anymore due to smartphones, so we've tailored the games to that" definitely doesn't cut it on a home console.

I know that people see Ohmori as like, a masuda jr but I honestly feel with with sun/moon he at least showed that he's capable of taking risks and keeping things fresh. If there's one thing I took away from the gen 7 games, it's that gamefreak wants to experiment with the pokemon "formula" more, and that immersion, story,presentation and pokemon/trainer interaction is becoming a bigger focus for them and all of these things automatically benefit from being on a console much more powerful than the 3DS. Assuming he's directing the next games, and maybe has even less Masuda influence in him this time, I'm really hopeful for gen 8.
I agree with this. Anyway I would also say that if in gen 7 they wanted to take some risks like, for example, removing gyms for trials, they could have taken the risk seriously. Because they cannot seriously expect people to prefer playing "where's the hiker?" to gyms.

I agree with this. Anyway I would also say that if in gen 7 they wanted to take some risks like, for example, removing gyms for trials, they could have taken the risk seriously. Because they cannot seriously expect people to prefer playing "where's the hiker?".to gyms.
I don't feel like Gen 7 took most of what it introduced seriously- a lot of the regional variants were jokes too.

Yeah, now that I've read all of your replies, I agree that they will incorporate the Gen 8 mechanics into the DP remakes.

I agree with this. Anyway I would also say that if in gen 7 they wanted to take some risks like, for example, removing gyms for trials, they could have taken the risk seriously. Because they cannot seriously expect people to prefer playing "where's the hiker?" to gyms.

Honestly after Gen 6's fiasco with Gyms, I was glad to see them gone for a change. Can we have some BOTW or typical zelda like puzzles for pokemon gyms for a change or leaders having bigger teams with a real annoying pokemon to beat. I always found it annoying in modern gen games, that you dont even have to worry about type weakness so much ingame, you can just steamroll with brute force and mashing A lol

I don't feel like Gen 7 took most of what it introduced seriously
This is how I feel about the trials. When I first found out they replaced gyms, I was actually really intrigued with how trials were going to work instead. I assumed there would be one for every type, and you would have to do something challenging and unique for each one.

I was disappointed by a lot of the trials, including the water trial where you just went in three small ponds to find the same Pokemon. I don't really remember much of them, because they weren't interesting enough to stick in my mind. But I do remember near the end of the game, they just started giving them out easy e.g. the ice crystal in a cave and one on the bridge.

With trials, I was expecting a lot more. For example, for the water trial, they could've made a huge water track, and you had to compete in a race riding Sharpedo's. Then, once you win, you have to beat the ex-champion in a battle to confirm your title and to complete that trial. For the flying trial (if there even was one), I was hoping for Soaring to return, riding a huge Charizard through the skies. For a Ground trial, there could've been an underground chamber that was filled with darkness and only a small circle of light (just like the caves in the previous games but a much bigger light to see around).

I think trials do have a lot of potential, but Game Freak didn't really do much with them. I think they will be an Alola specific thing, and won't return in future games. But, I do respect Game Freak for trying a new formula by replacing the Gyms.

Last edited:
The trials themselves were definitely underwhelming, but the Totem battles were new and interesting. In general, I think we just need fewer 1v1 battles and more rotation battles, triple battles, double battles, inverse battles and even horde battles. They've introduced so many types of battles, but all of them are rarely used.

The trials themselves were definitely underwhelming, but the Totem battles were new and interesting. In general, I think we just need fewer 1v1 battles and more rotation battles, triple battles, double battles, inverse battles and even horde battles. They've introduced so many types of battles, but all of them are rarely used.
I agree with the Totem battles. They were interesting, and actually for me, it made Pokemon a lot more challenging for the first time. But I didn't know how I felt with the 2v1 thing - when an ally was constantly being called and there was no limit to how much allies the Totem had. My tactic has always been 'go for the troops first then the boss', but that kinda backfired for me lol

They could do thousands of things to improve gyms.

- Gym leaders with a full team.
- Improve the pokemon themselves, right abilities/items/evs
- Gyms not focusing on typing but on species/colours/height/weight etc.
- Special tasks or trials to be done in order to battle the gym leader.
- Make the gym leaders be "really" relevant to the story.
- Gym battles that must be won in a certain amount of time.
- Make double battles gym leaders come back.
- Make the flying gym battle a flying battle, the water one an underwater battle and so on.
- Create a gym leader that requires you to battle him with a random team or with his own team like the master trainers.
- No restriction to the order of gym battles and gym battles that matches your own pokemon levels.
- Discover who the gym leader is in town like a quest.

I mean they could do whatever. Just make them interesting again.

I liked how they handled the first gym in Unova (BW).

"You chose Snivy? Well, let the brother on fire take you on!"

Just a shame that they gave you an elemental monkey in the Dreamyard to help you. Although, you can still opt not to use it and make it more challenging for yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom