• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually if the game is built on an entirely different engine, it would technically be a new generation.

Yeah no.

BW is gen 5, despite being build on the same engine as D/P/P, which means in your logic gen 5 is still gen 4, which means XY is gen 5 and SUMO/USUM are also gen 5, which means we will get gen 6 on the Switch.

New region, new starters, new mascots, completely new Pokemon that couldn't be found before = new generation.

While I hope that the battle system change will be a switch from turn-based to real-time, I know that's kind of an unpopular opinion. XD

At the very least, maybe something less predictable than gyms/trials. Just send us on a journey where we don't have to stop in at clearly foreseeable towns to beat leaders in their building/area with neon signs everywhere saying "go here to kick a butt." Send us on a journey where we just happen to run into powerful people whose butt we have to kick and then keep going to get to that goal where we probably kick someone else's butt.

...I mean, it's mostly the same thing just without obvious locations to go to. That's kinda different, right? XD

Cripes what can they even do.

You know what I'd like to see if we're getting some weird revamped Kanto that might as well be a new region with new pokemon but it's not? Past Kanto- as in let's go back to when aerodactyls didn't all die out and see what was up in prehistoric times.

Except then where would they put the gyms.
I can imagine a tournament system. You go to different stadiums and compete to fight the champion of that tournament, and win their trophy. Rinse and repeat 8 times, then head to the grand tournament to be the best in the region.

A new generation at the very least constitutes a new region, professor, set of starters and new pokemon past the current pokedex number, including new legendaries. If we get all these we are officially in gen 8 territory.

This is the most useful idea of a generation in my mind- USUM kind of messed it up by adding more Pokemon that can't be traded back into SuMo, but since they were all Ultra Beasts or legendaries, it doesn't seem so different from games like Platinum, where you couldn't get Sky Forme Shaymin or Origin Forme Giratina in DP either.

A new generation at the very least constitutes a new region, professor, set of starters and new pokemon past the current pokedex number, including new legendaries. If we get all these we are officially in gen 8 territory.
I feel like we could get a "remake" of some sort before a new region and still have the games similar enough in design that it would feel more like a precursor and unconventional start of gen 8 rather than part of gen 7. I don't hope for it, but I feel like it could play out that way and possibly get away with it... barely. As long as a proper new gen game with new pokemon followed after.

The alternative idea of having Kanto with mostly new pokemon doesn't seem like something that would fly very well because what sense is it to take an old region and put new pokemon in it? You might as well just make a new region at that point. Plus the fans would rage hardcore because 1) it's Kanto, so you'd have pissed off the G1 fans and rained on their nostalgia, 2) there's no reason to not make a new region if you're putting new pokemon in it, so you've pissed off everyone else who's sick of Kanto already.

This is the most useful idea of a generation in my mind- USUM kind of messed it up by adding more Pokemon that can't be traded back into SuMo, but since they were all Ultra Beasts or legendaries, it doesn't seem so different from games like Platinum, where you couldn't get Sky Forme Shaymin or Origin Forme Giratina in DP either.
I think the new additions to USUM were similar to the new megas in ORAS- yeah, megas are forms, but that's still new pokemon designs that you couldn't bring back to X/Y despite being in the same gen. So a little weird but not really drastically new either. We just upgraded from forms to new pokemon.

I still think that all the fear about how shocking this new games will be, will soon be destoyed by GF that will announce two normal games but on the switch. I mean, they really took so few risks in 22 years that I would really be surprised (in a good way) to see whatever major change.

I still think that all the fear about how shocking this new games will be, will soon be destoyed by GF that will announce two normal games but on the switch. I mean, they really took so few risks in 22 years that I would really be surprised (in a good way) to see whatever major change.
XD I am totally predicting two perfectly normal games that barely pass for a reboot. I don't feel like Game Freak will really surprise us much.

I don't think the games will be straight up remakes.

Serebii seems pretty convinced that the game will not be considered a new generation in a traditional sense, and feels like "It'll probably be a generation 7 game", and that "previous notions of what makes a generation are crumbling".

Seeing as he keeps on neutral stance on things like 99% of the time these days, it honestly seems like he has some kind of insider information at this point. This is all from the resetera thread that was linked again earlier in the thread. If you look at "reboot" in a different light, it sort of line up. Plus, for what it's worth, the gameinformer staff that interviewed Masuda/Ohmori about the switch games last year, said afterwards when asked if they had an idea of what the games would be, said that they felt like Red/Blue remakes were the vibe they got after the interview.

Maybe it'll be set in an alternate take on Kanto, and feature more recent pokemon and newer ones? Maybe it'll keep gen 7's cast (Lillie did say she wanted to go to kanto) but feature new starters, some new locations, etc?

Good god this is starting to remind me of the "generation 6.5" speculation in the months leading up to Sun/Moon reveal.

and at least three mythicals
By that logic Gen I and II aren't generations at all because they don't have 3 mythicals eheh. But I understand what you meant, I just think the engine can be another way to tell Generations apart.

Yeah no.

BW is gen 5, despite being build on the same engine as D/P/P, which means in your logic gen 5 is still gen 4, which means XY is gen 5 and SUMO/USUM are also gen 5, which means we will get gen 6 on the Switch.

Yeah no. You're confusing game systems (Nintendo DS and Nintendo 3DS) with engines. Engines are what GF uses to make the games, notice how DPPt and HGSS look very similar, while BW and B2W2 dont look at all like the previously mentioned games. Sprites are different, in game battles are different, and the overworld is different. That's because the engine is different.
The same applies to XY and ORAS vs SM and USUM, the engines are different and you can see that by the way our character is. In the 6th Generation your character looks Chibi, while on the 7th gen it looks normal. Again, the overworld is very different too.

Anyway that's how engines work. But you don't need to agree that they are a way to tell generations apart, if you dont think so. I do tho.

Just send us on a journey where we don't have to stop in at clearly foreseeable towns to beat leaders in their building/area with neon signs everywhere saying "go here to kick a butt." Send us on a journey where we just happen to run into powerful people whose butt we have to kick and then keep going to get to that goal where we probably kick someone else's butt.

I would love a change in the main goal. I would like to start as a professor who has to build the region pokedex or as an elite four or ssimply to have the possbility to choose what to start as...Just a bit tired of the 10 years old kid and all the journey to become a pokemon master.

Your (Oriden and Joker) conversation sparked an idea for me. What if the reboot is in the sense that there are no more levels for Pokémon. This would allow for a more open world journey as you didn't need to have a specific path to follow that would match your levels and would be a complete reboot of the series. This way you could travel freely (I have no clue how they would tackle level up evolutions but oh well...)

Obviously I don't think this is likely at all but it got me thinking..

Another "reboot" I could see happening is the elimination of the tall grass concept. Imagine that Pokémon just appeared in the overworld instead and you could see them roam around (much like the enemies in BotW). That would be soo cool!!

Serebii seems pretty convinced that the game will not be considered a new generation in a traditional sense, and feels like "It'll probably be a generation 7 game", and that "previous notions of what makes a generation are crumbling".

Seeing as he keeps on neutral stance on things like 99% of the time these days, it honestly seems like he has some kind of insider information at this point. This is all from the resetera thread that was linked again earlier in the thread. If you look at "reboot" in a different light, it sort of line up. Plus, for what it's worth, the gameinformer staff that interviewed Masuda/Ohmori about the switch games last year, said afterwards when asked if they had an idea of what the games would be, said that they felt like Red/Blue remakes were the vibe they got after the interview.

Maybe it'll be set in an alternate take on Kanto, and feature more recent pokemon and newer ones? Maybe it'll keep gen 7's cast (Lillie did say she wanted to go to kanto) but feature new starters, some new locations, etc?

Good god this is starting to remind me of the "generation 6.5" speculation in the months leading up to Sun/Moon reveal.

What are the hints Serebii is making that the next games will be set in the Generation 7 formula?

By that logic Gen I and II aren't generations at all because they don't have 3 mythicals eheh. But I understand what you meant, I just think the engine can be another way to tell Generations apart.

Yeah no. You're confusing game systems (Nintendo DS and Nintendo 3DS) with engines. Engines are what GF uses to make the games, notice how DPPt and HGSS look very similar, while BW and B2W2 dont look at all like the previously mentioned games. Sprites are different, in game battles are different, and the overworld is different. That's because the engine is different.
The same applies to XY and ORAS vs ZM and USUM, the engines are different and you can see that by the way our character is. In the 6th Generation your character looks Chibi, while on the 7th gen it looks normal. Again, the overworld is very different too.

Anyway that's how engines work. But you don't need to agree that they are a way to tell generations apart, if you dont think so. I do tho.

Your (Oriden and Joker) conversation sparked an idea for me. What if the reboot is in the sense that there are no more levels for Pokémon. This would allow for a more open world journey as you didn't need to have a specific path to follow that would match your levels and would be a complete reboot of the series. This way you could travel freely (I have no clue how they would tackle level up evolutions but oh well...)

Obviously I don't think this is likely at all but it got me thinking..

Another "reboot" I could see happening is the elimination of the tall grass concept. Imagine that Pokémon just appeared in the overworld instead and you could see them roam around (much like the enemies in BotW). That would be soo cool!!
But they should have changed all the mechanic about evolution too...and looking at the new eeveelution, I think that this is still a solid point in pokemon.
Also GF often spoke against an open world pokemon game. Anyway Masuda said they would have never get rid of gym while they were working on s/m so, everything is possible...

But they should have changed all the mechanic about evolution too...and looking at the new eeveelution, I think that this is still a solid point in pokemon.
Also GF often spoke against an open world pokemon game. Anyway Masuda said they would have never get rid of gym while they were working on s/m so, everything is possible...
One could dream right?

I was mostly just spitballing. I think we all are kinda confused on the whole reboot business so I was just wondering what could pass as a reboot that wasn't talked before.

One could dream right?

I was mostly just spitballing. I think we all are kinda confused on the whole reboot business so I was just wondering what could pass as a reboot that wasn't talked before.
Of course, sorry :) I was just thinking about that and those things came to my mind.

I would have a kanto remake rather than another gen7 related game. Alola and co. were good and all but with s/m and Ultra s/m in one year we basically know enough about those characters/pokemon/region, so please let's move on.

I would LOVE if this was a thing. It would make exploring around more interesting, you could (hopefully) spot shinies without having to suffer the boring grind of repeatedly entering grass and crossing your fingers... imagine seeing a shiny pokemon in the distance and having to run to catch it. Imagine also using a repel and actually be able to see it working with pokemon running away from you. XD That would be a much more engaging experience to me if we didn't have to cut to the battle screen and just made it all work in the overworld somehow- even if it was still turn-based.

I would LOVE if this was a thing. It would make exploring around more interesting, you could (hopefully) spot shinies without having to suffer the boring grind of repeatedly entering grass and crossing your fingers... imagine seeing a shiny pokemon in the distance and having to run to catch it. Imagine also using a repel and actually be able to see it working with pokemon running away from you. XD That would be a much more engaging experience to me if we didn't have to cut to the battle screen and just made it all work in the overworld somehow- even if it was still turn-based.
Well, we will need the ability to talk with pokemon too. Can you imagine finding a shiny gengar and spending two hours to find another one just to understand if the first one is actually a shiny? XD

I combined your two great concepts in my brain into “seeing a shiny wild Pokemon running away from me due to the Repel I used, unable to catch it and forced to watch helplessly as it disappears”- I don’t think I could bring myself to use repel in that case unless you could physically chase after and catch the fleeing Pokemon despite the Repel’s effects, haha.

OOOH that would be brilliant, and that would be a new battle system but old at the same time!!

This conversation is beginning to be too good to be true eheh

This seems to be the rumoured Spike Chunsoft switch game, was leaked a while back and had a few listings before it went offline. Since Spike Chunsoft developed the danganronpa series, makes sense. French retailer Micromania Gamestop had another listing online before it was taken down. Does this kill chances for a PMD switch release ?

Rumour: Listing for Danganronpa V3 for Switch appears, is removed

I combined your two great concepts in my brain into “seeing a shiny wild Pokemon running away from me due to the Repel I used, unable to catch it and forced to watch helplessly as it disappears”- I don’t think I could bring myself to use repel in that case unless you could physically chase after and catch the fleeing Pokemon despite the Repel’s effects, haha.
XD Maybe if they added an item to end repel early so you can quickly take it off once you see a shiny and run after it.

Well, we will need the ability to talk with pokemon too. Can you imagine finding a shiny gengar and spending two hours to find another one just to understand if the first one is actually a shiny? XD

They could still sparkle! =D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom