• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
There’s a really easy way to tell generations apart, and unlike the more flexible stuff like “new Pokémon” or “new region,” this one ain’t likely to ever change (because doing so would defeat the whole point of delineating between generations in the first place): Can the games battle and trade directly with each other? If so, then yes, they’re the same generation. If not, then they’re different generations.

GSC are somewhat remarkable in that they allow some limited trading with RBY, but that occurs through a separate and specifically-marked channel of the Cable Club, distinct from the channel used for GSC-to-GSC trades, so it’s really just an early method of generational transferring. And you still can’t conduct battles between RBY and GSC, so there isn’t full compatibility.

If the Switch games can’t battle and trade directly with SM/USUM, then they’re a new generation, regardless of anything else.

There’s a really easy way to tell generations apart, and unlike the more flexible stuff like “new Pokémon” or “new region,” this one ain’t likely to ever change (because doing so would defeat the whole point of delineating between generations in the first place): Can the games battle and trade directly with each other? If so, then yes, they’re the same generation. If not, then they’re different generations.

GSC are somewhat remarkable in that they allow some limited trading with RBY, but that occurs through a separate and specifically-marked channel of the Cable Club, distinct from the channel used for GSC-to-GSC trades, so it’s really just an early method of generational transferring. And you still can’t conduct battles between RBY and GSC, so there isn’t full compatibility.

If the Switch games can’t battle and trade directly with SM/USUM, then they’re a new generation, regardless of anything else.
Can S/M and USUM battle with each other, though? I think it's safe to say that they're one generation, but USUM added new pokemon that S/M wouldn't be able to display.

Can S/M and USUM battle with each other, though? I think it's safe to say that they're one generation, but USUM added new pokemon that S/M wouldn't be able to display.

They can battle with each other. It's just like ORAS in that you can't use any of the new things introduced in USUM if you're battling against a person with SM.

New content can’t work backwards (since Game Freak refuse to patch the primary games for that), but aside from that they can battle with each other just fine. This is still significantly different from RBY/GSC where battling simply isn’t possible, despite trading being an option (and even within that option, the same rule applies - new stuff can’t go backwards; you can only trade the original 151, and you have to delete any new moves from them first).

Oh okay, I haven't done anything with USUM but I did remember the trading between RBY and GSC. I thought we were able to trade (but not battle) between every generation since RS, though, so I'd think that the definition would be more just... battle, specifically, rather than trade and battle.

This seems to be the rumoured Spike Chunsoft switch game, was leaked a while back and had a few listings before it went offline. Since Spike Chunsoft developed the danganronpa series, makes sense. French retailer Micromania Gamestop had another listing online before it was taken down. Does this kill chances for a PMD switch release ?

Rumour: Listing for Danganronpa V3 for Switch appears, is removed
It's fake. The new Danganronpa announced on 3/23 will be a game for VITA,PS4 and Steam.

so I'd think that the definition would be more just... battle, specifically, rather than trade and battle.

You could certainly argue that, and I wouldn’t disagree. It’s just that, personally, I always feel it’s important to note that GSC’s backwards-trading capability occurs via a dedicated mechanic (the Time Capsule) that is separate from the normal trading channel, as if it’s a separate feature. Kind of like the trading equivalent of how the Relocator in Gen 5 is a separate thing from the Poké Transfer Lab. And more importantly, I like to point out that these were the early days, and that they didn’t even really expect there to be a Gen 3, let alone a Gen 8. Once the series was entrusted to Masuda and the GBA forced a clean break between the games, things started to become more formalized. But prior to that, it’s kind of a wilderness, and I just think it’s a bit silly to put the burden of authority onto the games that were born under a different vision and developed without a long-term plan. That’s just my preference, though.

It's fake. The new Danganronpa announced on 3/23 will be a game for VITA,PS4 and Steam.
How do you know this?

Does this kill chances for a PMD switch release ?
No, because that listing is unconfirmed and they're supposed to announce four games. Granted, I'd think that V3 would warrant a port of the first two games (bundled). Not to mention that Zanki Zero hasn't been confirmed for the west and Project Psync is due for a proper announcement. Add that to the fact that Spike Chunsoft are working on localizing another's company games, and it's quite easy to see how nothing Pokemon-related will come out of the conference.

But if I'm playing devil's advocate, they could just let TPCi make the announcement some other time.

Last edited:
Really, the PS Vita? I thought that the Vita was dead.

Last Danganronpa game (2017) was released for Vita too.

Also, quite a few games in the Neptunia franchise first launched on the Vita before being ported to Steam. Even if they aren't making new Vitas anymore, there's still plenty of support for the system as far as the JRPG genre goes.

I did some digging into the Spike Chunsoft announcement, and from what I can tell it's going to be for games that have already released in Japan but have yet to be released in the US. If that's the case, then I doubt that a Mystery Dungeon game is on that list.

Spike Chunsoft released some hints about the games announced on 3/23. One of these will be a Danganronpa game. It's going to be a new game because two months ago SC was hiring people for a Danganronpa Action game.
Fair enough, but they could still port V3 (not that I care). I'm rather disappointed that they're milking the franchise via another action game.

My bet is on a new Danganronpa game, Project: Psync (likely to have a Switch version), Zanki Zero and some localization of a 5pb game.

Okay Spike Chunsoft develop game like
and not to mention Zanki Zero for Ps4/Vita, Spike Chunsoft only will announce 4 new titles, which will it be? I'm hoping one of them is PMD.

My theory is:
1) Danganronpa
2) Zero Escape spiritual successor (Project Psync)
3) Zanki Zero
4) PMD

Fair enough, but they could still port V3 (not that I care). I'm rather disappointed that they're milking the franchise via another action game.
The rumored action game would be Ultra Despair Girls 2. It's actually nice because V3 ending is open and need answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom