• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's barely even possible to be more aggressive than they were with SM.

Sure it is possible. Just one example: with SM they only showed the logos in the first ad. I believe that the first announcement of the eighth generation will show much more, just like the one of XY. They need to show how the games "evolved" from SM, and regain the confidence of the fanbase (also show how the game is different from LGPE for some).

Maybe in Japan, but certainly not elsewhere. And the only support needed is a cheaper model.

When XY was announced the 3DS was with about 35 million units sold. The Switch is struggling to reach 25, even with Let's Go (it will probably hit the mark at Christmas, but the fiscal year sales will still be far below Nintendo's forecasts).

That's a big stretch and reeks of entitlement.

What do you mean by that? Part of the fanbase is dissatisfied. They are aware of that. Otherwise, there would be no reason for Tsunekazu to be promoting the upcoming games during the pre-launch of Let's Go.

Tsunekazu - Pokémon 2019

But I liked XY and SM. How bad of a reception did they get?

I was referring to Let's Go.

Last edited:
Second tweet was covered by Rufled Rowlit, but very interesting that they are bringing as many translators as possible, something they haven't done before.

So that means a fair amount of dialogue. I remember when SM (or was it USUM?) were still leaking, someone mentioned the overall length to finish the games being a bit high for Pokemon games. If that's the case, it makes me excited to see just how extensive this game is.

So that means a fair amount of dialogue. I remember when SM (or was it USUM?) were still leaking, someone mentioned the overall length to finish the games being a bit high for Pokemon games. If that's the case, it makes me excited to see just how extensive this game is.
With Ohmori most likely at the helm, this isn't surprising.

Question, if localisation is already starting, does that mean japanese translation is already done?

Sure it is.

And if you also believe that the game will be announced in January, by now the game should be almost ready. Between the announcement and the few months before the release, they will be able to add, modify, and fix some things.

I wonder if we might get a mix between the way S/M and X/Y were announced

Title drop in Jan/Feb, movie related reveals that also have to do with gen 8 from feb-march then actual info blowout with starters/legends, etc in may

Sure it is.

And if you also believe that the game will be announced in January, by now the game should be almost ready. Between the announcement and the few months before the release, they will be able to add, modify, and fix some things.
Huh, in that case since they announced the game will come out in the second half next year, do we expect it earlier? Maybe around August or September?

I wonder if we might get a mix between the way S/M and X/Y were announced

Title drop in Jan/Feb, movie related reveals that also have to do with gen 8 from feb-march then actual info blowout with starters/legends, etc in may

I would not be sure about the starters and legendaries, but I really think they will not do like the SM's announcement, where they only showed the logo. I think that they will want to show the public that games are a evolution of the seventh generation. And show for some that they are different from LGPLGE. So I expect an announcement like XY.

Honestly, as I've already said, for several reasons, I think they'll be pretty aggressive with these game's marketing. So I'd really bet on an announcement in early January, with starters, the legendaries, and a considerable amount of gameplay, just like XY.

Pokémon 2019 and Metroid Prime 4, will be the last main cards of Nintendo with the Switch. Knowing that Pokémon is one of the biggest system-sellers in the industry (specially generation starters games), and being in the situation that they are now with the Switch (it is selling pretty well, but will still be far from meeting the company's expectations for the current fiscal year), I think they will try to "milk" these games to the limit.

Huh, in that case since they announced the game will come out in the second half next year, do we expect it earlier? Maybe around August or September?

Maybe, it is "later 2019", at all. But I'd bet on October or November, if you ask me.

Last edited:
What was the reason for X and Y being announced so early? Like in January two months after BW2 were released internationally? As well as showing the starters and legendaries at the same time? It was never done before and it hasn't been done since.

Also what has the riddler mentioned about the next film? Did he give a hint? what was he discussing about?

What was the reason for X and Y being announced so early? Like in January two months after BW2 were released internationally? As well as showing the starters and legendaries at the same time? It was never done before and it hasn't been done since.

Also what has the riddler mentioned about the next film? Did he give a hint? what was he discussing about?
Not too sure about what the Riddler said myself, as Google Translate didn't help.

As for your question in XY's case, they basically were showing off the major change of Pokemon on the 3DS. Since they were jumping from 2D Sprite animation to full 3D animation graphics, they probably wanted to set the bar really high with the technical jump.

While I DO question if the same can be done now that Let's Go are on the Switch, I also do see a potential of the reveal being in January and being very akin to XY's reveal. It'll be the first core series game for competitive players on a new system. And the way each interview they had regarding the titles have always mentioned the key word "Evolution" means that what ever is planned for said titles is VERY BIG and provides some major shake ups, maybe to the graphical sense, who knows. Too add, I think we may see that only, however marketing strategies do say otherwise if the leaks made by Paul is anything to go by. In all, my guess (note its a GUESS) is that starting next month, we may be in for a wild ride.

I just hope it isn't like SM in terms of announcement, knowing at least a little more than "it's coming" would be nice. They don't need to show everything, but I would like to at least see the box arts so it can spawn speculations. And when showing the box arts, just please don't let the camera use Flash this time around.

Last edited:
Not too sure about what the Riddler said myself, as Google Translate didn't help.

As for your question in XY's case, they basically were showing off the major change of Pokemon on the 3DS. Since they were jumping from 2D Sprite animation to full 3D animation graphics, they probably wanted to set the bar really high with the technical jump.

While I DO question if the same can be done now that Let's Go are on the Switch, I also do see a potential of the reveal being in January and being very akin to XY's reveal. It'll be the first core series game for competitive players on a new system. And the way each interview they had regarding the titles have always mentioned the key word "Evolution" means that what ever is planned for said titles is VERY BIG and provides some major shake ups, maybe to the graphical sense, who knows. Too add, I think we may see that only, however marketing strategies do say otherwise if the leaks made by Paul is anything to go by. In all, my guess (note its a GUESS) is that starting next month, we may be in for a wild ride.

What are the leaks by Paul that we should go by?

I just hope it isn't like SM in terms of announcement, knowing at least a little more than "it's coming" would be nice. They don't need to show everything, but I would like to at least see the box arts so it can spawn speculations.

I think they might have learned their lesson from Sun and Moon, or at least I hope. I know people were pretty angry when the first thing they showed were logos, repeated the same thing on a tv appearance, and didn't show anything concrete until May. At the least they had the excuse that they weren't ready yet and wanted something on the 20th anniversary, but still.

At this point I feel like we're going to at least get starters and box legends by January. They've kind of quietly hyped up the game since June of last year, I think? And with localization starting it makes me feel that they've had plenty of time to finalize at least the starter and legendary designs with logos but are just waiting for a bit after Let's Go so they don't overshadow it before Christmas.

Plus plenty of people are either miffed or underwhelmed by Let's Go, so damage control for them is probably to be expected soon. It also works out for all the people who liked those games too because "more pokemon!" is always good enough reason to drop a trailer/teaser.

My question is, do y'all think they'd dare tease anything at the Games Awards tomorrow? My guess is no because Smash Bros, but if it did happen... hoo boy help me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom