• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, they usually announce the titles themselves sooner than that. Regardless, the meat of what's in the game usually does start by May. That's why I say I think they are aware that they can't do an unceremonious reveal this time. You have to be impressive out the gate or else you will lose the hardcore audience for good. There are no second chances, you only have one.

Yes, Pokemon and Animal Crossing will be the big (planned) releases next year, but Nintendo needs a cheap Switch revision to make use of that. Metroid Prime is... not really important in sales discussions, sorry Metroid fans lol
As for the 35 Million in March, well, they are currently at 22.86 Million shipped. Last fiscal year they shipped roughly 10 Million units in q3 and q4, so they need an increase of 23%. Not impossible. We will know more in January.

Metroid can be important if they make it good and disruptive like Botw. It is a series of relevance, Nintendo could make the game a great success. And I find it very difficult to reach 37 million in time, maybe they'll get close to it (30~32m), but as I said, they will need to use a lot of the marketing power of Pokémon 2019 to do so.

Edit
About your previous edit about the Nintendo's expectations regarding the 3DS, we are in the second fiscal year of Switch, so I was referring to the second fiscal year of 3DS. If I'm not mistaken, it come close to or exceeded the predictions of Nintendo. Of course, as I said before, the scenarios are different, so it's hard to do a rough comparative analysis.

Nintendo's expectations were very high at the time due to DS. While today, they are low due to Wii U. Nintendo has only the Switch now. Nintendo has already released many of its major releases with Switch. And the 3DS, unlike Switch, had the price cut. But Nintendo has already said they don't intend to do that again (selling hardware at a loss). So they are different scenarios, but the second fiscal year of 3DS was a little more reassuring to Nintendo than Switch's second fiscal year. I think they expected a larger share of the 140 million monthly GO players to buy the console, but that's not what happened, so that's why they are so far from the expected number (reaching 37 million by March).

Last edited:
Metroid can be important if they make it good and disruptive like Botw. It is a series of relevance, Nintendo could make the game a great success. And I find it very difficult to reach 37 million in time, maybe they'll get close to it (30~32m), but as I said, they will need to use a lot of the marketing power of Pokémon 2019 to do so.

Metroid would be great as a big, open world game (it is an exploration based shooter after all), with at least a small amount of basic, western action sequences. So yes, like Botw ha ha
But I can already see Metroid fans everywhere hating this more modern, non-linear concept, so... I dont know. The potential is there. Maybe we will see it today at the TGA (with a lot of screams, and overreactions). I have seen some insiders hinting at a late development begin, close to the 2017 E3 announcement. So a 2020 release date might be more likely.

I highly doubt that we'll have to wait until May to even get the titles of the games unless the games are not Gen 8.

I hope you are right (y) I might be a little more pessimistic about announcements and always expect a delay lol

Last edited:
Metroid would be great as a big, open world game (it is an exploration based shooter after all), with at least a small amount of basic, western action sequences. So yes, like Botw ha ha
But I can already see Metroid fans everywhere hating this more modern, non-linear concept, so... I dont know. The potential is there. Maybe we will see it today at the TGA (with a lot of screams, and overreactions). I have seen some insiders hinting at a late development begin, close to the 2017 E3 announcement. So a 2020 release date might be more likely.

I hope you are right (y) I might be a little more pessimistic about announcements and always expect a delay lol
Metroid has never been a linier game. It's a metroidvania.

But this isn't the place to talk about that.

But, the chances of the games not being Gen 8 are rather low. If they stick to patterns, we should expect an announcement in either January or February.

I think traditional remakes have always been announced in May, ORAS definitely did, even if it was just a small teaser, it was still an indirect announcement.

Last edited:
I really hope they are going to announce gen 8 in January/February. Another long wait to May would be torture.
only remakes and third versions are revealed on may, this is a new gen, the reveal should be at april in worst case.

No matter what, 2019 is going to be a big year for Pokemon. We have the live-action Pokemon movie in May, the Mewtwo strikes back Evolution film in July and the generation 8 games in late 2019. We will have a lot to keep us busy so that's good.

It will also be a big year for Mewtwo too since not only does he get a film in July but he is rumored to have a big part in the live-action film in May while merchandise leaks are hinting that he may get a new form for Generation 8 so all in all it will be a big year for Pokemon.

I just hope we don't get a repeat of what we have gotten the past several years in the promoting of a new Pokemon game. For SM it was announced in February but we didn't get any solid news about it till May. For USUM it was announced in June but we didn't get any good news till August while for Let's go it didn't get announced till May.

I really hope that when they announce the games they don't do a long period of drought for us but instead give us some information month by month till release, kinda like XY did.

I know it's doubtful that we'll learn the titles soon but I am curious as to what they'll be named. I hope it's something that none of us expect!

I know it's doubtful that we'll learn the titles soon but I am curious as to what they'll be named. I hope it's something that none of us expect!

I think our hint will be through trademark filings. I think we'll at least get game titles by February, and maybe a treehouse in March or April

I'm kinda curious on whether or not Game Freak will return to gemstone names for Gen 8 or go the more celestial route like with Sun and Moon.

I'm kinda curious on whether or not Game Freak will return to gemstone names for Gen 8 or go the more celestial route like with Sun and Moon.
Or neither. We've had colours, metals, gemstones, mathematical symbols, and celestial bodies (or are they symbols?). And each of these had something to do with the themes they wanted to put in the games and its mascots. So honestly, it could be anything and it doesn't even have to be directly oppositional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom