• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the Generation VIII art style, I think it should be HD 3D models that are consistent between battles and the overworld, with fully animated faces, not the ones that change textures. No outlines. While outlines may give it an anime aesthetic, the character design could do it themselves. And if they can get voice actors from the anime to make voice acting accompany the text boxes and to help with the lip sync, that'll be great. But considering the player's custom name, it will be awkward to do. Nicknamed Pokémon can be called by their species, but the player?
They could do it similar to how the Persona or Megaten series does. They can mostly use pronouns.

They could use pronouns, but when characters from past regions said your name, it can be jarring to realize that they are now avoiding your name. It can get even more noticeable when they remake Diamond and Pearl and they have to change some dialogue to exclude your name. Maybe to avoid memes about nobody knowing your name in the new region, they can just not add voice acting.

Wasn't there something about how the main series pokemon games will never have voice acting outside of Pikachu because it would be too expensive and not pokemon-y?

I for one, think Town is adorable, and plan on buying it. I just hope that the graphics for Pokemon 2019 are better. They assured us they would be. Town is too Wind Waker-y.

I don't really care about the graphics, but Town looks much more expansive and explorable than the recent Pokemon games and generally looks like it has more effort put into it, which is pretty sad. This is what the 2019 game should feel like. If they can't manage to make something greater than or equal to Town in 2019, I'm done with this series.

They could use pronouns, but when characters from past regions said your name, it can be jarring to realize that they are now avoiding your name. It can get even more noticeable when they remake Diamond and Pearl and they have to change some dialogue to exclude your name. Maybe to avoid memes about nobody knowing your name in the new region, they can just not add voice acting.
Yeah, that's why I think it would be problematic to have voice acting. Just look at both Final Fantasy X and Suikoden Tierkreis, where it ended up being awkward the fact that nobody could say the protagonist's name.

But maybe if they use voice samples from the voice actors to synthesize sounds to make your custom names, they could say your name. Though, it could end up sounding robotic and weird when placed next to a line of dialogue that the actors had to record. And they probably won't say your name right if you've got a weird name that a computer can't pronounce.

I think the whole name issue would be easily avoidable- do what many other games have done and leave the voice acting to the cut scenes only. We don't need it for the rest of the game, really, so points where a character says your name could remain in speech bubbles and cut scenes can easily be written to not mention your name at all. Voila, problems solved, never an issue.

They could do it similar to how the Persona or Megaten series does. They can mostly use pronouns.

Persona 5 has the benefit of the main character being code-named "Joker" (I'm yet to play any other Persona games, so I can't comment on them). Also IIRC, there were some voice acted parts where his name was just completely left out even though it was in the text. It does sound like it would be awkward, but I don't remember it ever being.

I have played other games with custom names with voice acting and they do the whole pronouns thing. But for the love of god don't go Dragon Ball Xenoverse and only record the lines with male pronouns. That really dug at me.

I understand the appeal in voice acting for a Dragon Ball game... But for Pokemon? Sorry, but I really don't care at all.

but Town looks much more expansive and explorable than the recent Pokemon games and generally looks like it has more effort put into it, which is pretty sad.
The setting is a single village. You should compare it to Yokai Watch if anything, and it probably won't win in that department.

I know y'all will hate me for saying this but... I liked Gen VI's art style.

I really want a cross between that and SM's art style.

Like, everyone's taller so there's height differences (Archie being small and chibi like the player was very weird to me) but I don't want everything to be super tall because goddamn I find the player character's leg length to be disturbing for some reason.

The setting is a single village.

And that single village still looks more expansive and open ended than Pokemon's areas. At the very least, this looks like it would be a good tech demo for 2019 and what the cities and routes should feel like. If they'd have made a filler game like this instead of LGPE the fanbase would be a lot happier right now.

And that single village still looks more expansive and open ended than Pokemon's areas. At the very least, this looks like it would be a good tech demo for 2019 and what the cities and routes should feel like. If they'd have made a filler game like this instead of LGPE the fanbase would be a lot happier right now.
I am definitely hoping that Gen 8 will feel something like Town does. I'm not up for the chibi character style, but something like the graphics for the town and the camera angles would be fantastic.

I think the models should be something between Pokkén and Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon. Something slightly realistic, but also maintain some anime style look. And if there's no voice acting, then still have the characters mouths move. They could have generic gibberish lip sync if they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom