• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers Official Let's Go Pikachu/Let's Go Eevee Discussion Thread

RGBY weren't difficult games and these ones won't be, either. You'd have to handicap yourself by not benefitting from capture experience, candies, Megas and the starter's support moves to see some amount of challenge.

The complaint should about lack of diversity for the sake of diversity rather than balance.

I wonder if we can transfer the various hat Pichu/Pikachu/Raichu from Pokemon Go to LGPE.

It's was confirmed that we can't back when the games were announced.

Though I do wonder about male Original Cap Pikachu, since that one is actually in the main games.

EDIT: Maybe they plan to give the starters all the hats the ones in Go have?

Unpopular opinion: that the lack of items and abilities effectively neuters competitive play makes me even more excited for these games. Even if a competitive format can develop around these new conditions, at least for a short while, there won't be a competitive scene in these games. And that's a good thing.

Yes, screw people having options, right? /s

You don’t have to like or care about competitive, but it’s an optional thing that lots of others like. You can freely ignore it.
I’m a competitive battler and have been since early Gen IV. I know enough about the competitive scene to say I fucking hate it. And I love that these games are skewering it. Yes. It is a good thing. And that’s my opinion. And I’m allowed to have it.

I’m a competitive battler and have been since early Gen IV. I know enough about the competitive scene to say I fucking hate it. And I love that these games are skewering it. Yes. It is a good thing. And that’s my opinion. And I’m allowed to have it.
Who said you can’t have an opinion?

All i said is that you can completely ignore the competitive scene if you want. It’s optional.

If nothing else, having no abilities or items will make it easier to get into competitive battling. Gen VII was a perfect example of what's wrong with the system, what with pinning most of the good battling items--such as Mega Stones--behind high BP amounts. And having no abilities makes it easier for gamers to pick and choose who they want, even if it means less variety amongst the Pokemon.

The one thing I'd like to see changed at this point is the way breeding is handled, but considering that this game doesn't have that, I suppose that's...better? The whole IV / EV system for breeding is just a mess and makes it incredibly hard to create competitive Pokemon for laymans like myself. Hopefully they fix it up in Gen VIII...

P.S. I know that some people may like the current system for breeding, but these are just my own thoughts.

Quite frankly, I'm hoping they throw out the IV system altogether. I know they're supposed to make Pokemon individuals, but all that they do is ensure that bred Pokemon will always outclass Pokemon you've caught/received in your journey. (unless you can get enough bottle caps-and even then, who knows if they'll hold their effects when they get transferred to Gen 8?) Individuality isn't great when it means some Pokemon are destined to be weaker than other members of their species. (though I suppose the same argument could be applied to stats in general, and that's got clear benefits to it...)

Yeah the only 1 thing I'd remove would definitely be IVs. To me there too tedious especially to Bottle Capped which already is a complete nightmare and for someone to get into competitive play(yes it's intended to make every single Pokemon unique but in competitive play it severely matters if you want to go big and do well). EVs I feel is the best thing made to work for your teams and enough customization to make every Pokemon different enough.

Last edited:
You guys are forgetting Natures, you only have a 1/25 chance of getting the right one (and 4 of these Natures are useless). I prefer Abilities.

I also don't like how some moves can only be obtained throughtbreeding.

If it lowers the barrier for entry, it could be a fun experiment until Gen 8 rolls around.

You guys are forgetting Natures, you only have a 1/25 chance of getting the right one (and 4 of these Natures are useless). I prefer Abilities.

Didn’t they show Megazard X using Dragon pulse? That probably means egg moves are being revamped in some way.

Natures are more annoying than IVs ingame.

IVs don't really make much of a difference usually unless your pokemon is fighting another member of its own species. A casual gamer would only really notice in that particular situation that their pokemon has crappy IVs.

Natures are worst, especially when your pokemon has the absolute worst one possible. Adamant Ralts isn't fun to use in the first stages of Emerald especially since the species already has offensive stats that are low even for an unevolved Pokemon.

Natures are more annoying than IVs ingame.

IVs don't really make much of a difference usually unless your pokemon is fighting another member of its own species. A casual gamer would only really notice in that particular situation that their pokemon has crappy IVs.

Natures are worst, especially when your pokemon has the absolute worst one possible. Adamant Ralts isn't fun to use in the first stages of Emerald especially since the species already has offensive stats that are low even for an unevolved Pokemon.
Natures are easier to game than IV’s tho.

Honestly, the whole system needs a complete overhaul. Ideally, raising a competitive Pokémon shouldn’t get in the way of the in-game experience. I’d get rid of IV’s, make EV’s something that only happens through dedicated training (no gain in EV’s from fighting wild Zubat. You have to take your poke to a gymnasium for them to power train EV’s) and Natures would be an aesthetic thing. If they have to keep their current effects, then let us go to a pet modeling school to change their natures. Also, Egg moves are taught by Move Tutors.

A lot of people say that this Mythical will be the new Zygarde, but what if it will be an evolution instead? I mean, we already have the evolutionary legend in the form of Cosmog, so we could have the first evolutionary Mythical as well.

Whichever it’s the case, though, I bet that the new form/evolution will be Steel/Electric, if the dex entry is any proof. That… would be a really neat type combo, actually, with plenty of resistances. It will be a must-catch for me, if that’s the case.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom