• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers Official Let's Go Pikachu/Let's Go Eevee Discussion Thread

So, now that Green is gonna be in the game... Assuming she's battle-able, are we gonna theorize about her canon team? I would assume the one thing that would make absolute sense is that she has an Eevee... Given that Red is the "Pikachu" trainer. But then what do they do for the rest of her team?

I could potentially see her getting pieces of Blue's team in yellow (assuming his standard team doesn't change from the norm for this game), in which case she might have a Ninetales, Cloyster, and Magneton. Otherwise, they could take from her Adventures team. I don't like this idea as much, because there usually isn't much basis for those teams aside from Red and Blue's gym team anyway. If they did, though, that could add Wigglytuff, Nidoqueen, Ditto (doubt it), uh... I don't recall the rest of her team.

Oh, OORRR, what if they do the REALLY unexpected, and give each of them one of the three real starters, with none of them (not even Red) getting Pikachu or Eevee?? I like that idea but I can't see them doing it...

Myth said:
At the same time, if we find Red, Blue (Green JP) and even Green (Blue JP) off the Indigo Plateau...So, who is the champion? The new "rival"?
We don't know that those are their only appearances, although Green/Leaf seems to be introduced in Cerulean Cave.

BigBadButterfree said:
I could potentially see her getting pieces of Blue's team in yellow (assuming his standard team doesn't change from the norm for this game), in which case she might have a Ninetales, Cloyster, and Magneton.
That team will probably go to Trace. His starter is a regular Pikachu/Eevee that most likely evolves.

I hope they don't give her the manga team because it has three Fairy types and one of them isn't even in these games (Granbull). Clefable/Wigglytuff and Nidoqueen would be good choice, though. They could give her a special Eevee like the player's.

We don't know that those are their only appearances, although Green/Leaf seems to be introduced in Cerulean Cave.

That team will probably go to Trace. His starter is a regular Pikachu/Eevee that most likely evolves.

I hope they don't give her the manga team because it has three Fairy types and one of them isn't even in these games (Granbull). Clefable/Wigglytuff and Nidoqueen would be good choice, though. They could give her a special Eevee like the player's.
Oh yeah, lol I forgot Trace was a thing XD

But yeah, one fairy and Nidoqueen are probably good choices. I just hope they don't pick stuff that seems "wrong," if that makes sense. Or, heaven forbid, you don't get to battle her at all. I might die if they do that XD

Eevee, Wigglytuff/Clefable, Nidoqueen, Hitmonlee/Hitmonchan, Omastar/Kabutops, Mew

The Hitmon and fossil would be the ones not picked by the player. After the first battle, she would become a Mew Master. The reason she is in Cerulean Cave would be to have Mew meet her son.

Last edited:
Given its GF we’re talking about, I’ll bet she’s a silent protagonist and her team is a carbon copy of Red’s except maybe with Eevee replacing Pikachu.

This would make her team: Eevee, Venusaur, Charizard, Blastoise, Snorlax, Lapras.

Bonus points if her whole team is female to contrast Red’s all-male team.

Two characters having almost the same team would be... new. Are you assuming they're interchangeable rather than having separate roles?

Two characters having almost the same team would be... new. Are you assuming they're interchangeable rather than having separate roles?
I’m assuming her team will reference the fact that Green is specifically Red’s female counterpart and not a separate character onto herself.

I’m assuming her team will reference the fact that Green is specifically Red’s female counterpart and not a separate character onto herself.
Ok, that would probably irk me more than if she had no team at all.

Other thing, unpopular opinion, but I wish they would retcon and fix Blue's name to be Green and call the girl Blue, as intended in the original Japanese. It's just a confusing thing that doesn't need to be there and I know it's too late at this point but I still wish they'd fix it.

I think Red will still get his canon team but his lead won't necessarily be Pikachu, in several canons, he doesn't start with Pikachu and catches Pikachu down the line, but then again they're so messy with it, in literally every Johto game his canon team clearly implies his starter is his Pikachu, Origins literally shows him getting Charmander, and Generations implies he started with a Bulbasaur, as he sends one out to catch a Pikachu in Viridian Forest.

I think they'll follow Origins as well as the anime and give Blue a Blastoise, as he starts with Squirtle in Origins and as Gary in the main anime.

So that leaves (haha get it) Leaf to get a Bulbasaur.

From there I think Red gets his canon team or something very close to it, Red's team has always been based on gift Pokemon/in-game event Pokemon, such as Lapras and the three starters being gifts, and Snorlax being an in-game event that you must encounter to proceed through the game, so they can always take that route and modify his team slightly, maybe instead of the other two starters he has an Aerodactyl as a reference to acquiring the Old Amber, and then one more Pokemon, not sure what.

Just as a fun fact, if you ever wonder what the "canon team" could be for any given player character, just use our own lists of in-game event Pokemon, such as this to formulate as close to a canon team as you can: List of in-game event Pokémon in Generation I - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

So back to the team building, so far we have something like this:

Red:
-Charizard
-Pikachu
-Lapras
-Snorlax
-Aerodactyl?
-?

Blue:
-Blastoise

Leaf:
-Venusaur

Trace:
-Eevee/Pikachu (not sure if they will evolve like the Eevee in Yellow does, I think they probably won't in this game)

I've seen some people discussing Blue vs. Trace's teams, a lot of people think Blue's old teams will transfer over to Trace, but that's not necessarily the case, Blue has used A LOT of different Pokemon throughout his appearances, let me list them off:

Gen 1:

-All three starters
-Raticate (RIP)
-Pidgeot
-Exeggutor
-Gyarados
-Arcanine
-Alakazam
-Rhydon

Gen 1/Yellow only:

-All three Eeveelutions
-Ninetales
-Cloyster
-Magneton
-Sandslash

He would cancel out either Ninetales, Cloyster, or Magneton depending on which Eeveelution he went to, but he'd keep the Alakazam and the Exeggutor from his Red/Blue teams, and replace Rhydon with Sandslash.

So THIS tells me that perhaps Trace will take a majority of Blue's old Yellow teams, and canon Blue will take his old Red and Blue teams. But let's keep going down Blue's Pokemon teams, only looking at where there were new additions:

Gen 4:

-Machamp

His Gen 2 team used all Pokemon from his old Gen 1 team, but he loses Alakazam in place of Machamp in HGSS oddly enough.

Gen 5:

-Aerodactyl

BW2 adds Aerodactyl to his team in the Pokemon World Tournament, an addition that sticks in Gen 7. Gen 7 has both Machamp and Alakazam present, even though HGSS replaced Alakazam for Machamp.

So I think for teams, we have something looking more like this:

Red:
-Charizard
-Pikachu
-Lapras
-Snorlax
-Aerodactyl
-?

Blue:
-Blastoise
-Pidgeot
-Machamp
-Rhydon (he has used Rhydon or Rhyperior in a majority of his appearances)
-Exeggutor
-Arcanine, both of these are his elemental Pokemon whenever he'd start with Squirtle and were always used in future generations, he'd also use Gyarados in appearances where he didn't start with Squirtle or in appearances in future games to leave it vague and down to headcanon on which starter he chose in the Gen 2/4/5/7 games.

Leaf:
-Venusaur
-
-
-
-
-

Trace:
-Eevee/Pikachu
-Magneton
-Cloyster
-Ninetales
-Sandslash
-Alakazam

Everything on Trace's team is something Blue used in Yellow besides Pikachu, I would imagine that if Trace does get Alakazam, Blue won't have it and will instead have some combination of Pidgeot/Rhydon/Aerodactyl/Machamp/Exeggutor/Arcanine/Gyarados/Blastoise on his team instead.

So we still have a slot on Red's team which nobody can really guess what will go in it, every in-game event from past Kanto games is represented except for events with choices (Omanyte/Kabuto or Hitmonlee/Hitmonchan), there is a Hypno in FRLG that's an in-game event so I guess they could give him that but it is from the Sevii Islands so doing so would imply that the Sevii Islands exist and if they exist then they better be visitable damn it, the reason I put Aerodactyl on Red's team is because it's one of the few in-game events with no choice present, even though Blue has used one multiple times, but that could really go either way, Blue has eight Pokemon to pick from and whichever combination gets left out could easily include Aerodactyl.

Leaf's team is by far the hardest to predict because she has never shown up in the games outside of the PC in FRLG, and in those games she replaces Red entirely. Some random Pokemon I could see fitting Leaf's character is like a Persian, a Dewgong, maybe a Magmar, who really knows, Leaf's team is just 100% wild guessing and speculation at this point in time, but I think I've got the rest just about nailed. They could very well give duplicate Pokemon, we could see Red still have all the starters, or both Trace and Blue have Alakazams, or even both Red and Blue have Aerodactyls, but it's neat to think of how they can keep the teams diverse.

Last edited:
I think it's just an alternate retelling of Generation I.

I think you're both right.

Common theories have Emerald or ORAS for example, taking place with the same events but at a later time than RS. I think LGPE exist in a parallel timeline where Giovanni launches his takeover a little bit later, by just a few months, so Red, Blue, and Leaf go through their journey relatively unaffected by Team Rocket's antics, you start your journey a few months later and instead of Red taking care of Team Rocket, you have to do it.

So yes, this is the Megaverse's version of Gen 1, but it also might take place a few months after, relative to Red, Blue, and Leaf starting their journeys as they did in Gens 1 and 3. In this timeline, the only real stall is Team Rocket becoming more relevant a few months farther down the road than they did in the Gen 1 and 3 timelines.

I think the trailer shows Blue first(?) meeting the player outside the Pewter Gym, possibly just after they've beaten Brock. I wonder if this means you'll encounter him multiple times throughout your journey...

Last edited:
@Envoy But that would defeat the purpose of separating her from Red, which is what the trailer implies.
Unlike Blue, Leaf/Green herself has never been a character with her own background or personality. Just like Red, she’s a player avatar. Nothing more. It stands to reason that the same logic that went behind choosing Red’s canon team (Pokémon the player will have received as gifts during the adventure and thus are likely found on most players’ teams) would also apply to Leaf/Green.

Opposite Gender Characters in games (like Brendan/May,) when they’re not used as the PC, have effectively the same teams with —at best— minor variations (gender of the Meowstic for Calem/Serena.) I don’t really see why people are expecting Leaf/Green to suddenly be a wildly different case. It is Game Freak we’re talking about here. Try not to give them too much credit.

You haven't touched upon my argument at all, which is that Red and Green/Leaf seem to co-exist in these games. They aren't comparable to the opposite-gender rivals.

I could be wrong if the trailer is misleading, but still. The fact that the new protagonists and rival don't override the old ones is atypical in itself.

You haven't touched upon my argument at all, which is that Red and Green/Leaf seem to co-exist in these games. They aren't comparable to the opposite-gender rivals.

I could be wrong if the trailer is misleading, but still. The fact that the new protagonists and rival don't override the old ones is atypical in itself.
Yes. And it’s something I, myself, pointed out earlier.

This isn’t something we’ve seen before at all. I’d argue that Red and Green coexisting in this universe is going to effectively be a combination of Red’s role in Johto and Opposite Gender Rival roles in...every game that has them. This is the first time since Johto that a former PC returns to the story as an NPC, but it’s also the first time that that same PC returns in both it’s male and female aspects. I imagine they’ll both exist but have the same personality and teams. Which is to say- silent protagonist with team composed entirely of gift Pokémon and Starters.

Why? For the same reason they haven’t given Red a personality for seven generations. He’s supposed to be an avatar for you. If he had his own personality, he would no longer be that. His team is specifically chosen to represent Pokémon most players would have added to their party (gift Pokémon,) and part of the reason they went with Pikachu as his Starter is so that all three Kanto Starters felt like valid choices (in effect, to avoid placing a specific Starter as the ‘canon’ one.)

In RGBY, Green was supposed to play the exact same function as Red. In FRLG, Leaf straight up does. This means that, like Red, she’s a player insert. I don’t see why GF would suddenly find the need to change this about her by giving her a personality or a unique team. Her team will most likely be composed of Pokémon that most players likely had in their party (i.e. gifts and Starters) for the EXACT same reason Red’s will. Green isn’t and has never been a character. She’s not comparable to Blue. She’s always been an avatar for the player in the exact same way Red is.

It should be noted that, when acting as NPC’s, the OGR’s have almost the exact same personality as each other (and barely one at all.) Sure, there are slight variations (like Lucas preferring the slots and Dawn preferring the mall,) but they’re effectively the same person as NPC’s. And absolutely the same person as PC’s (silent protagonists.) I don’t see why this is suddenly changing unless they give Red a unique personality all of a sudden. And, given his appearance in Gen VII, I think that’s unlikely.

As for them both coexisting at the same time, them having the same personality and teams doesn’t prevent that from making sense. It’ll be up to the player themselves to decide which of them was the ‘canon PC’ and which of them was the ‘opposite gender rival.’ I don’t see GF going out of its way to make that decision for the players when they haven’t for any other protagonist duo. Basically, they’re likely taking this opportunity to fix the Red favoritism they’d shown him since Gen IV. And you can’t do that if the characters are fundamentally different.

Now, it’s possible that she’ll have different gift Pokémon from Red, but she’ll likely still have the three Kanto Starters and Pikachu/Eevee. The caveat here is, of course, if they completely overhaul Red’s team. In that case, they’d give her a complimentary team. But seeing as Red’s team has remained unchanged since HGSS (and barely changed since GSC,) I don’t think that’s the likeliest of things. It’s certainly plausible tho.

Tl;dr: Leaf’s function in the game is the exact same as Red’s. She’ll be a reflection of whatever they do with him. If they keep his role in the games as a former PC like they did with Johto, then Leaf will also be a former PC and her team will reflect that. If they overhaul Red entirely, then they’ll make Leaf a compliment to him. Unfortunately, Leaf is not now, has never been, and will likely never be an entity separate from Red in exactly the same way that Brendan and May have never been separate entities from each other either.

Again, this is Game Freak we’re talking about. Don’t give them too much credit.

*there’s also he possibility of Red and Leaf being version exclusives. Though given you apparently encounter them in different places, I wouldn’t call it likely. Still, I wouldn’t rule it out entirely just yet.

Last edited:
Envoy said:
Basically, they’re likely taking this opportunity to fix the Red favoritism they’d shown him since Gen IV. And you can’t do that if the characters are fundamentally different.
That's an assumption if I ever saw one. Just a year ago we had a set of games where only Red and Blue showed up, and now the recent trailer gives her this mysterious vibe that Red and Blue lack. Quite frankly, it would be a little insulting to just have her battle the player in Cerulean Cave and then disappear without saying anything about Mewtwo. At least Mt. Silver was all about Red (originally, and mostly in HGSS).

They should definitely at least replace Snorlax and Lapras with a Hitmon and one of the three fossils. I guess that having her use the starter trio would be okay, especially if her Mega weren't the same one as Red's.

In RGBY, Green was supposed to play the exact same function as Red.
That was never stated anywhere. All we know is that Sugimori felt like designing her and Kusaka wanted to use her.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom