• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers Official Let's Go Pikachu/Let's Go Eevee Discussion Thread

So, there's a few complaints I have regarding movesets:
  1. Why didn't they give Pinsir a Flying-type move so its Mega can get Flying-type STAB? It's not like the LGPE games will let us use the Aerialate ability. At least they gave Mega Charizard X a way to use its Dragon-type STAB.
  2. In the same vain, while I can't blame them for removing Hurricane from Pidgeot (it's not really worth it without access to No Guard), they didn't give it a good replacement nor adjust Mega Pidgeot's stats to make up for the lack of special moves. They gave Pidgeot Sky Attack instead, which does not help Mega Pidgeot in any meaningful way.
  3. Where did Beedrill's move "Fell Stinger" go? Beedrill's going to need it when it Mega Evolves due to a lack of Adaptability anyways, so it's not like it needs to be nerfed by replacing it with Outrage.
  4. Why is Alolan Persian missing Power Gem? It was the only special-move learned from leveling up. Granted, it isn't that big of a loss compared to my other complaints.
  5. Seriously, what's with the lack of previous signature moves on our Pokémon? Not only are we lacking elemental Hyper Beams and the Pledge moves for the OG Kanto starters, but none of the Alolan Pokémon have their signature moves (Alolan Exeggutor lacks Dragon Hammer and Alolan Marowak is missing Shadow Bone). Heck, even Pikachu, the franchise mascot, currently has no access to Volt Tackle. You'd think Pikachu would at least get to keep its old signature move by virtue of having one as a starter, but nope!
  6. Where are the weather moves for any of the Pokémon? I understand excluding item-dependent moves (since held items aren't a thing in LGPE) but weren't we shown harsh sunlight during one of the trailers? Surely weather isn't that complex.
  7. On a similar note, where's Hyper Beam's physical counterpart, Giga Impact? Also, why did they give Mega Drain a boost and then get rid of Giga Drain?
There's too many things Game Freak didn't think through in regards to move distribution. There's too many nerfs in that direction despite the fact that a lack of abilities already nerfs some of the more OP 'mons. This is especially true when it comes to the creature's higher stats.

Last edited:
I don't think so. I think Mina and Alola also exist in the LGPE universe, and so she appears in Kanto. That means she may have done the same thing and gone to Kanto when younger in the Sun and Moon universe as well.

But I believe they are different universes. First, because in the LGPE universe it is not Red or Blue that face Team Rocket (unless our adventure happens later from theirs).

In the LGPE universe Red only has Venusaur, while Blue has Charizard. In the universe of Sun and Moon, Red has all three kanto's starters, and Blue has none of them.

In the LGPE universe, there is a new character: Green. While in the universe of RGB, she didn't exist, and so perhaps that's why she didn't appear in Sun and Moon with Red and Blue, since in Sun and Moon the events of Kanto probably follow those of RGB (although it is also a different universe, then, perhaps with the Megas).

This is how I see it now. But I believe that other people will have another kind of interpretation about it. And we may have new information with the text dump.

None of this really means anything, trainers can change Pokemon you know, Blue has used several different species in FRLG, HGSS, and BW2 for example, but nobody is debating whether those are tied to the same universe. In the manga I believe Red gets the other two starters either from trade or is loaned them by Blue and Green, so that would explain Red having all three and Blue having none. In FRLG Blue has a starter but in HGSS he doesn't so it was always common theory that he either boxed his starter or gave/traded it to Red.

I've seen nothing that would convince me that this is a different universe, it's still part of the Mega timeline, in my opinion LGPE is in the same universe as XY, ORAS, SM, and USUM, all paired games, and in the case of the Alola games, all four are alternate timelines of one another but still follow the main rules of existing in the Mega universe.

The Mega universe, as I understand it, would go LGPE/ORAS -> XY -> USUM, so far. if for no other reason, because Mr. Bonding ties all three sections of the timeline together, in ORAS we see Mr. Bonding being formed, in XY he's an established character, in USUM we meet a weird man in the desert who seems to be the empty shell of Mr. Bonding after he's given out all his O-Powers, something he gives the player or that you find nearby gives the connection away but I forget what it is.

The only major caviot to this timeline is Wally, but I think that was just a developer oversight or a severe case of baby face, and one minor detail like how old Wally appears to be shouldn't play a major role when basically everything else lines up.

All have Mega Evolution present, that much is obvious, LGPE and the Alola games have Red and Blue, and perhaps Green had her reasons to stay behind in Kanto instead of traveling to Alola, just because she's canon now doesn't mean she has to appear every time Red does, in fact, it's because she's canon now that she SHOULDN'T have to appear everywhere Red does. She's her own character now, she's not just the female Red anymore, she's a separate character entirely. She even has a different starter.

And like I said, as far as Blue's team goes, he's used like 15+ different species across all games, nobody ever said a character has to use the exact same team across all appearances, Cynthia for example switches like half her team from DPPl to BW and BW2, although she clearly references in-game events from Platinum and the Unova games clearly took place after the Sinnoh games, but nobody debated that it was a separate universe because of different Pokemon she used.

Last edited:
None of this really means anything, trainers can change Pokemon you know, Blue has used several different species in FRLG, HGSS, and BW2 for example, but nobody is debating whether those are tied to the same universe. In the manga I believe Red gets the other two starters either from trade or is loaned them by Blue and Green, so that would explain Red having all three and Blue having none. In FRLG Blue has a starter but in HGSS he doesn't so it was always common theory that he either boxed his starter or gave/traded it to Red.

I've seen nothing that would convince me that this is a different universe, it's still part of the Mega timeline, in my opinion LGPE is in the same universe as XY, ORAS, SM, and USUM, all paired games, and in the case of the Alola games, all four are alternate timelines of one another but still follow the main rules of existing in the Mega universe.

The Mega universe, as I understand it, would go LGPE/ORAS -> XY -> USUM, so far. if for no other reason, because Mr. Bonding ties all three sections of the timeline together, in ORAS we see Mr. Bonding being formed, in XY he's an established character, in USUM we meet a weird man in the desert who seems to be the empty shell of Mr. Bonding after he's given out all his O-Powers, something he gives the player or that you find nearby gives the connection away but I forget what it is.

The only major caviot to this timeline is Wally, but I think that was just a developer oversight or a severe case of baby face, and one minor detail like how old Wally appears to be shouldn't play a major role when basically everything else lines up.

All have Mega Evolution present, that much is obvious, LGPE and the Alola games have Red and Blue, and perhaps Green had her reasons to stay behind in Kanto instead of traveling to Alola, just because she's canon now doesn't mean she has to appear every time Red does, in fact, it's because she's canon now that she SHOULDN'T have to appear everywhere Red does. She's her own character now, she's not just the female Red anymore, she's a separate character entirely. She even has a different starter.

And like I said, as far as Blue's team goes, he's used like 15+ different species across all games, nobody ever said a character has to use the exact same team across all appearances, Cynthia for example switches like half her team from DPPl to BW and BW2, although she clearly references in-game events from Platinum and the Unova games clearly took place after the Sinnoh games, but nobody debated that it was a separate universe because of different Pokemon she used.

I understand what do you mean, but don't you think it's a little more complex than that?

You separate the "Mega Evolution" by universes (I believe that relying on Zinnia' info), while the other changes you separate by "timelines" only. What if the universe that doesn't have Mega Evolution is just a universe where they have not be founded yet? (ie another timeline)

I disagree with you. In a quick set up in paint I try to demonstrate how I see the main games now:

" | " means different timelines. Therefore, kanto plots similiar to RGB and FRLG but with megas would be different timelines in the "Mega Evolution" universe. GS and Crystal, RS and Emerald, DP and Platinum, and SM and USUM would also be different timelines between each other.

The rest I consider just as different universes. We still don't know if the rest of the story (Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova, Kalos lore) really exists in the LGPE universe. Only Mina gives an indication of Alola's existence.

As I said, the fans will have several different interpretations about that, but that's how I see it now. New information may change my mind about, though.

Edit
I think FRLG should be added as a alternate timeline in the first one.*

Last edited:
I think no post game areas were expected since GameFreak confirmed in an interview that the map's staying the same.

You know I was being sarcastic, right? I didn't think we were getting anything, both because of Game Freak's comments about the game being faithful to the original and their recent tendency of minimizing content in casual focused games. I really don't get why others were expecting more though. You'd think people would've learned after 4 games of this crap.

@Esserise Now that you mention it, a character existing in more than one universe is contrived unless the split occurred after their birth. DNA is a unique thing.

For a company that like the multiverse so much, Game Freak have done nothing to push the idea that a character's life can greatly vary between universes.

There's really only two distinct parallel universes, the one with Megas and the one without Megas, they split further per game, you should watch Bird Keeper Toby's videos on this. Your copy of LGP and my copy of LGP will both exist in the Mega universe but are also separate events from each other, one where I raise a Gyarados but you raise a Blastoise and where my name is Bob and your's is Mike.

But that doesn't change the fact that we exist under the same basic laws of the universe, that being that we both can use Mega Evolutions, we both meet Red and Blue etc.

In that respect alone I can tie LGPE to ORAS, XY, and all the other games since Mega Evolution.

You're trying to argue that different versions create different timelines entirely but that's not necessarily the case,

Yellow, Red, Blue, Green, FireRed, or LeafGreen can all reasonably lead into the events of HGSS, they all possess only minor differences, so to separate Yellow and other third versions entirely like you have seems to be unnecessary. The way I look at it is, if a game can lead into another game without having any major differences, they're in the same universe.

Ruby, Sapphire, or Emerald can lead into Diamond, Platinum, or Pearl in basically any order or combination. They all exist in the non-Mega universe and can be grouped in any way you wish. Where Diamond and Pearl are de-canonized though is BW, where Cynthia only talks about events from Platinum, no matter what, so this is an example of where you could say there's another pretty big shift in the universes, one where the Distortion World is visited and one where it isn't. Any of the Gen 3 games can lead into any of the Gen 4 games, but only Platinum can actually follow into the Unova games, at least as they are right now.

Bird Keeper Toby's most recent video about the multiverse with info about LGPE:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUX5OOEAVjM

Last edited:
Mina is younger, but not by 20 years as people have speculated. It seems to me that GF knows which games happen before which ones, but that they couldn't care less about how much time passes between every entry.
Also, a video leaked where Blue is seeing delivering the Shalour food, which is likely a reference to the reference that was made to him in XY...
Poketubers will have a field day with this game...

I hope we get a list of unavailable moves soon.

Wally is an afterthought who was put in the post-game for what is really a glorified cameo. If he was involved in the main plot somehow his design would have been updated to look like a teenager probably.

There's really only two distinct parallel universes, the one with Megas and the one without Megas, they split further per game, you should watch Bird Keeper Toby's videos on this. Your copy of LGP and my copy of LGP will both exist in the Mega universe but are also separate events from each other, one where I raise a Gyarados but you raise a Blastoise and where my name is Bob and your's is Mike.

But that doesn't change the fact that we exist under the same basic laws of the universe, that being that we both can use Mega Evolutions, we both meet Red and Blue etc.

In that respect alone I can tie LGPE to ORAS, XY, and all the other games since Mega Evolution.

You're trying to argue that different versions create different timelines entirely but that's not necessarily the case,

Yellow, Red, Blue, Green, FireRed, or LeafGreen can all reasonably lead into the events of HGSS, they all possess only minor differences, so to separate Yellow and other third versions entirely like you have seems to be unnecessary. The way I look at it is, if a game can lead into another game without having any major differences, they're in the same universe.

Ruby, Sapphire, or Emerald can lead into Diamond, Platinum, or Pearl in basically any order or combination. They all exist in the non-Mega universe and can be grouped in any way you wish. Where Diamond and Pearl are de-canonized though is BW, where Cynthia only talks about events from Platinum, no matter what, so this is an example of where you could say there's another pretty big shift in the universes, one where the Distortion World is visited and one where it isn't. Any of the Gen 3 games can lead into any of the Gen 4 games, but only Platinum can actually follow into the Unova games, at least as they are right now.

Bird Keeper Toby's most recent video about the multiverse with info about LGPE:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUX5OOEAVjM

I don't get it, you connect LGPE to XY, even though the storage system in LGPE is different. The capture system is different (this can even be argued to be different only in the gameplay aspect perhaps, but still.) Etc. Etc. Also, there is still no evidence in LGPE to connect it with the plot of others region, except Alola.

And how can you be sure that in your universe of non-mega evolution, the characters could not discover it later?

Jessie and James don't seem to exist in RGB, but they exist in Yellow. Yellow has a number of anime references, and that's why I put it as a different universe, despite having similar events.

I watched the video, and here is some considerations:

- There is not any evidence that LGPE's Green is inspired by Adventures character. So far, there's nothing original about the Adventures character in her.

- Soon in the first few minutes of the video he assumes that there are different universes, even between RGB and FRLG, and even between my version of the game and yours, and I agree. And that fit with my version of the timeline/universes, I don't understand where this video would "conflict" into something with my theory, if at the very beginning he assumes something like that.

- Okay, he says that "although there are different universes people like to condense them into two or three." I think here is the issue: I don't.

- Okay, what he says now is something that the community talks about but does not make any sense. Just because Red did not face the Rainbow Rocket in USUM does not mean he has not defeated them in Kanto before. That argument makes no sense.

- When he refers to "us" (players) after saying that Red has not supposedly beat Team Rocket on that timeline... What would that have to do with it? The protagonists of LGPE are not the same as USUM...And yes, maybe they were not in Alola in USUM, but I don't understand what this has to do with the universes thing.

- As someone pointed out in the comments: "This timeline only works if both Red and Blue become champion before your character because Red and Blue mention becoming champion (in gene 7)".

- You say that things like Pokémon do not connect the timelines or universes, because they can change Pokémon. While in the video, he links timelines/universes through Red's outfit.

Edit

Honestly, I think that's exactly what he said at the beginning of the video: there are countless universes.

If we classify them in timelines or universes are only nomenclatures.

In other franchises (like Marvel and DC), people use the term "universe" for when there are big differences, and the term "timeline" for when there are sharp differences (briefly elaborated). But in Pokémon, from what we have, even between universes like Mega Evolution and Non-Mega Evolution's one, things are not that different (compared to the Marvel and DC universes, for example). So I think that, if we would use the terms in the same way, everything in Pokémon would be from them same universe, but from different timelines.

I don't like to classify like that. So I separate what I consider to be the most different in universes, and the most similars ones in alternative timelines. But there is nothing official about it, each fan will have a different interpretation on, and all the time they will introduce different and new things, and it will change our perception about that. There is no absolute truth about it.

Last edited:
Wally is an afterthought who was put in the post-game for what is really a glorified cameo. If he was involved in the main plot somehow his design would have been updated to look like a teenager probably.

This is exactly how I feel about the Wally thing, aside from that, there is nothing in any of the Gen 6 or 7 games so far that would make me think they don't take place in the same universe.

I stand by my previous statements:

Megaverse:

LGPE/ORAS -> XY -> SM/USUM

Non-Megaverse:

FRLG/RSE -> HGSS/DPPl -> BW -> BW2

Classic variant:

RBY -> GSC

Although you can easily condense the Classic variant into the Non-Megaverse, as most all of the events as far as Kanto and Johto are the same, which is why those two got remakes in Gens 3 and 4.

Final judgment will be after I finish one of the Let's Go games, but so far I see nothing that tells me LGPE cannot lead in SM/USUM as far as Red, Blue, and Mina all being present in both games, that's clearly Gamefreak's way of telling us "hey, these games exist in the same universe".

It's the opposite of Anabel existing which was literally to say "hey, she's from Emerald which is A DIFFERENT universe".

Zinnia serves a similar purpose to inform us of non-Megaverse Hoenn.

Jasmine was in DPPl to sort of tell us these games do in fact take place around the same time as Johto, and Crasher Wake likewise made an appearance in HGSS while visiting Johto from Sinnoh.

Gamefreak is pretty good at throwing in all these tiny hints and easter eggs which literally tell us how the chronology of the games sits.

Last edited:
You know even though it's sadly expected this game would not get that much content but its always fun when things get datamine like this for the neat little things discovered beforehand at least the stuff found is really cool!

EmpoleonProd said:
Final judgment will be after I finish one of the Let's Go games, but so far I see nothing that tells me LGPE cannot lead in SM/USUM as far as Red, Blue, and Mina all being present in both games, that's clearly Gamefreak's way of telling us "hey, these games exist in the same universe".
Red and Blue's SM designs are clearly based on their FRLG ones rather than the original ones used in LGPE. Green is absent from Alola without so much as a mention.

Most importantly, the capture mechanic is a bigger difference than Mega Evolution. I highly doubt that it only affects one or two regions in the LGPE world.

People are needlessly overcomplicating things

First off, RGB got completely overwritten by Yellow

Next came Gold and Silver getting replaced by Crystal

And those got overruled by FireRed/LeafGreen and HeartGold/SoulSilver

Next is Ruby and Sapphire becoming Emerald, and Diamond & Pearl becoming Platinum

After that, Black and White came along, followed by Black2/White2 - only difference between those is same timeline, different dimension, as mentioned by a guy in Opelucid City who wants a pokémon from another world

Then XY and ORAS come out, a completely new take on the series, and much like the generations before them, eventually had an entry whose "third version" overwrote the one that came before it, in this case, Ultra Sun/Moon sadly retconning Sun & Moon out of existence instead of being proper sequels to better explore the origins of the Ultra Beasts and Necrozma

On top of everything above, altered events for Sinnoh and Unova happened in the Mega Evolution timeline and only time will tell if we get to explore what exactly those changes were (Origin Forme Arceus and the Original Dragon, perhaps?)

@EmpoleonProd

What a lack of consideration. I took a long time answering you, and even watched the two videos you said - the two hole videos - even though I was not having much time at the moment. And then, you just ignored my post. But its alright.

Here are some more things that I forgot to say/have to do with what you said now that add to the discussion:

I stand by my previous statements:

Megaverse:

LGPE/ORAS -> XY -> SM/USUM

Non-Megaverse:

FRLG/RSE -> HGSS/DPPl -> BW -> BW2

Classic variant:

RBY -> GSC

Although you can easily condense the Classic variant into the Non-Megaverse, as most all of the events as far as Kanto and Johto are the same, which is why those two got remakes in Gens 3 and 4.

Just like the video's guy, you separate RGBY and GSC into a different universe of FRLG and HGSS. I don't understand how this can be different from me differentiating LGPE from FRLG or RGB.

Remember that RGBY and GSC are now compatible with SM and USUM through Bank. And even if it was not, such an argument would be invalid, since in the epoch, RGBY and GSC just didn't have compatibility with the third generation because of a hardware issue, not something related to game's universe.

Final judgment will be after I finish one of the Let's Go games...

Certainly when the rest of the information be released I can also change my mind about it, as I said previously. Not that it matters at all, every fan will have their own interpretation in the end.

...but so far I see nothing that tells me LGPE cannot lead in SM/USUM as far as Red, Blue, and Mina all being present in both games, that's clearly Gamefreak's way of telling us "hey, these games exist in the same universe".

Mina in Let's Go is "a clearly Gamefreak's way of telling us "hey, these games exist in the same universe"? How about Grimsley and Colress in SM? Just because she appears doesn't mean it's the same universe. Only that she also exists in that. The rest is fans interpretation.

Gamefreak is pretty good at throwing in all these tiny hints and easter eggs which literally tell us how the chronology of the games sits.

I've come to think that may be Game Freak only considers the games of the same generation as being of the same universe. Well, that would solve literally all the problems the community points out, including Wally's age in SM.

Although we had that Matsumiya's tweet (which he deleted later). And again, that doesn't explain Wally's age either. And well, he was the Scenario and Dialouge leader of BW. May be, that was only his way of fitting the previous generations into the universe corresponding to BW and B2W2.

Last edited:
Same as in FRLG. It's obvious that they still existed in all those games.

By your logic, Jessie and James were introduced in LGPE because they lacked names in Yellow.

Sorry if I misread you.
You have misread me.

What I meant was that, although they were in the games, they had no names and most of their sprites were generic Rocket Grunt Sprites. HGSS changed that by giving them their own image and names, making them official characters, not just nameless faces.

People are needlessly overcomplicating things

First off, RGB got completely overwritten by Yellow

Next came Gold and Silver getting replaced by Crystal

And those got overruled by FireRed/LeafGreen and HeartGold/SoulSilver

Next is Ruby and Sapphire becoming Emerald, and Diamond & Pearl becoming Platinum

After that, Black and White came along, followed by Black2/White2 - only difference between those is same timeline, different dimension, as mentioned by a guy in Opelucid City who wants a pokémon from another world

Then XY and ORAS come out, a completely new take on the series, and much like the generations before them, eventually had an entry whose "third version" overwrote the one that came before it, in this case, Ultra Sun/Moon sadly retconning Sun & Moon out of existence instead of being proper sequels to better explore the origins of the Ultra Beasts and Necrozma

On top of everything above, altered events for Sinnoh and Unova happened in the Mega Evolution timeline and only time will tell if we get to explore what exactly those changes were (Origin Forme Arceus and the Original Dragon, perhaps?)

People are certainly overcomplicating things, but at the same time, the notion that anything has been “overwritten” when we’re clearly dealing with a multiverse is pointless. You don’t need to exclude anything when there’s a branch for every possibility.

Fans only ever presumed that certain games had been “replaced,” anyway, and just chose whichever ones they thought made the most deductive sense. Game Freak never said anything like that. (To be perfectly honest, the fans take the concept of “the Pokémon canon” to a far further and far more religious extreme than GF likely do.)

Huh, you know what I just realized? And I may be late on this, but think about it Let's Go is essentially GF's reintroduction to pokemon. Think about, most of the features and mechanics that have existed all the way to Gen 7, have been stripped to the point it's at the state where the games began. And that's the thing, it's back to square 1, the point where we the fans were first introduced to the series. And this is essentially the new generation's version of said introduction starting them at the beginning like we did. And adding the Pokemon Go aspect to make a connection for them? That's a smart way to hit familiarity. Honestly the idea behind these games are actually rather smart in terms of bringing in more fans, And those new fans can even help boost gen8's sales even more than they would've with just us.

(To be perfectly honest, the fans take the concept of “the Pokémon canon” to a far further and far more religious extreme than GF likely do.)
I agree, and that's why I usually don't contest other people's interpretation of it, and that's why I try to not get in to discussions about it. Even if I think differently about.

But if someone contests my interpretation, then I try to explain and defend my point of view.

Last edited:
Are there any screenshots of Archer yet? He's the other spoiler I really care about. According to the trainer data they call him by his name and everything which made me super excited since he's just Rocket Executive in the original Yellow...I wasn't sure if he was Official Retroactive Canon outside of HGSS but I'm glad.

@Achrom25tic

Here's a Archer pic!

Dr2-4K0VAAA8JyQ.jpg:large

Source: Mizumi (@_Mizumi) | Twitter

And Kaphotics is finally back!

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom