• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers Official Let's Go Pikachu/Let's Go Eevee Discussion Thread

Didn't read every comment but all I can remember is people bitching about having to pay for Pokemon Bank and now everyone is fine with it.

Taking a point from Cresselia, remember when PB was released in Japan near Christmas Day and because of how many people were accessing it, the servers crashed so the US didn't get Pokemon Bank until the very end of January.

Money is required for server maintenance and every single big name company has headed into the realm of online play and subscription services for said online play. Get used to it. It's not a big fucking deal. Buncha cry babies. If you are a true fan, support the series.

Do you really think they need our support?

To me, the problem with the online subscription is how it restricts online activity that does not involve any sort of server whatsoever. That is, solely peer-to-peer connection play between friends and such.

Like, what exactly are we paying for in those situations that Nintendo - let alone other paid online service - has to maintain and compensate? The game software itself manages this, not a server, and security and bug fixes aren't anything gamers tend to 'subscribe' to.

I guess it's just convenient to merge all online into a general thing, but mere peer-to-peer, serverless cases should never have a paywall, as it costs next to nothing for Nintendo to maintain.

I really don't think that Game Freak have much to do with this decision. They don't make any money off Nintendo Online.

The original point at hand was the cost of completing the Pokedex in LGPE. Between having a friend in your area and doing some work in Go, the alternatives to paying $4 aren't that bad.

Y’all keep complaining about the fact that a feature that used to be free it’s now payment-only. But there is a thing that many keep forgetting: servers and their maintenance have a cost, and it’s hefty. Also, popular first-party games tend to weigh on those servers much more than indie or third-party games, since they tend to gather a much bigger playerbase.

We are in an era where everyone is online and there is a surplus of online players, which forces the various companies to buy more servers to sustain the workload, and that is something that costs millions of dollars. It’s obvious that during the DS/Wii and 3DS/WiiU eras things were much different and not as digitally oriented as they are now, so they could afford to keep online features “free”. However, it seems that it’s no longer the case, for factors that we don’t know fully (probably money, but eeh).

The reasoning being the online services is very simple: people who pay the subscription pay for part of the maintenance and costs of the servers, which ensures more stable connections and online features, while people who don’t are left out and don’t weigh on the already overloaded servers. So, the higher the income, the more companies can afford new servers and the more the quality of said servers can be kept high.

“But they are multimillionaire companies, they can afford to pay for those servers!”. Well, no, it doesn’t work like that. They are business companies, not charities. Their main purpose is to make money, and if they can net more by making people pay for subscriptions and stuff, then why not take this opportunity? Sure, it sucks for the customer, but that’s how business works, I’m afraid.

Besides, free online services tend to go in tandem with awful overly slow servers full of lags and all kinds of connection issues, and the more people connect to those crappy servers, and the more the problem is escalated to ridiculous levels, which can end with the crash of the servers.

I mean, just see what happens almost every time that a new hyped game is released on the eShop, with the servers being unable to handle the influx of people connecting at the same time, which usually ends with the servers going offline. Now, imagine this scenario happening everyday, with people battling and trading almost 24/7… you get where I’m coming.

Honestly, I’d gladly pay a little amount of money if that meant having better connections and online features, in order to not have to experience hair-pulling headaches and continuous server crashes, especially during online matches. Quality has its cost, after all, and “free” services have many downsides that far too often are ignored, just because of that magical $0.

The way is see it, $0 = 0 quality. It may suck, sure, and I can’t say to be too happy about having to pay yet another subscription, but this is how things are and will go from now on, and the sooner we accept it and the better it will be.

Well, I’ve heard that wild Legendary Pokémon have a very low spawn rate – probably once you catch the original ones and as a way to earn Legendary candy – so I think it may be possible to catch a few evolved Pokémon in the wild. Otherwise, GO would be the way to go, and with trading you can get some Pokémon from other people and transfer them in Let’s Go.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Somebody here at least understands that the gaming industry is evolving and has to meet certain expectations and requirements and those cost MONEY.

Of course, soon with the end of net neutrality being enforced in the countries, you will have to pay not only for the energy, and for your internet, and for the game, and for the online subscription services, but also have to pay to your provider by the "special package" that "enables you to play online games".

Soon enough we will also be paying for the marketing cost they had with the game, and so on.

Consumers should always complain and boycott if they feel they should to.

It's exactly because that kind of thinking of "yeah, alright, the industry is moving on this direction." or "Oh, okay, it's only twenty bucks." that they are imposing even more paywalls each time. Don't be naive, they would take all your money if they could. Use your voice as a consumer, or let others consumers do it, don't make excuses for that kind of thing.

What Lanstar and TechSkylander said also adds to the discussion: they are charging even for peer-to-peer only things.

As I said, I don't advocate any paid online service, unless it offers something that really worths it. And as you can see from examples that have been given here, have to pay for a online subscription just to do one thing (trade) that should be basic for Pokémon and plus that was free before, in Pokémon Let's Go, does not make it worth.

Pokémon Let's Go games don't even benefit from the save in the cloud.

Last edited:
Going over the previous two pages, let’s try keep the discussion respectful; which means we aren’t treat each other with respect. Everyone has the right to say what they want about the game, but when it comes down to personal attacks and thread-derailing arguments, That's where I draw the line.

——-

The argument that people should be expected to pay for online on the switch is a little shaky when it comes to Nintendo. For some people, they’ve already spent upwards of £100 on one game and a peripheral. If every 1 in 20 LGPE purchased are like that, why do people still have to pay for online access? GF is making an extra £40 or so on each game sold with the poke ball, surely these excess purchases should cover the cost of servers? Is the infrastructure expensive? Sure, but it’s not a massive load. It’s a switch game, not a 64 player sandbox with mods up the ass. GF is, like it or not, rolling in money from this game. They & Nintendo can easily afford free internet services. They just choose not to.

I feel like the cost of going online should be included within the base game, which it makes that much more of a slap in the face when it's £100 or so to have the complete experience, alongside recurring costs. And that's not to mention people double dipping and getting both games.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Somebody here at least understands that the gaming industry is evolving and has to meet certain expectations and requirements and those cost MONEY.

Jus to be clear, it's not as if the people who are complaining simply don't understand the concepts of business expansion, investment, and profit.

We know WHY this is happening, clearly.

It's just that we don't like it because it introduces an added (and ongoing!) expense to playing with a previously-free and almost completely necessary feature for game completion; I don't want to essentially pay 30 cents a trade, no matter how small of an amount that is, and regardless of the fact I could afford it. I am not paying for that.

No one answered me earlier but did anyone who did not like Pokemon Go like this game? I find PoGo really boring since you can't battle wild pokemon but I wonder if it really takes away from the game or not. Do let me know please. :)

No one answered me earlier but did anyone who did not like Pokemon Go like this game? I find PoGo really boring since you can't battle wild pokemon but I wonder if it really takes away from the game or not. Do let me know please. :)
You might want to ask this question somewhere else. The number of LGPE players on BMGf is rather abysmal and the negative mentality tends to be prevalent. SPPf and Reddit seem to have more balanced views.

This is probably a dumb question but... how do you level grind? It doesn't look like you can re-battle trainers thus far.
I know you catch wild Pokemon to gain experience points, but say hypothetically, you've spent all your money on Poke Balls, used them all up, and need to grind for more levels because you decided you wanted to use different Pokemon instead? How does this work...? I assumed that trainers would be there to endlessly rematch for experience, but not so apparently?

This feels like it could hypothetically prove problematic come Cerulean City, where you need a lv15 or higher Pokemon to enter the Gym. What if you've transferred your higher level Pokemon, haven't trained your starter, and decided to start over with a fresh team and have no Poke Balls or money left?

They give you free pokeballs all over the place so it is impossible to get empty handed in every cave there is a guy that is so worried you got empty pokeballs he will give you some also at cerulean cave there is a spawn of ultra, great and pokeballs even masterball at a speed of every 10 mins

Also the amount of items they gave you when you catch a pokemon can be sold to get more money

Nothing spiteful about that at all.

The requirement to find Red just outside of the league building is defeating Blue 10 times. He is still silent, and his music is merely the regular trainer theme. Once he is defeated, he grants you his Battle Master title and leaves.

A far cry from the GSC battle, but that was inevitable.
I think you are wrong you need to defeat 6 master trainer to fight red

They give you free pokeballs all over the place so it is impossible to get empty handed in every cave there is a guy that is so worried you got empty pokeballs he will give you some also at cerulean cave there is a spawn of ultra, great and pokeballs even masterball at a speed of every 10 mins

Also the amount of items they gave you when you catch a pokemon can be sold to get more money

Selling items in exchange for Poke Balls and having to constantly catch-and-release Pokemon to earn Candy things just isn't the kind of inventory management system I find appealing or fun to use.

That is of course totally a matter of personal preference.

I have heard that a streamer apparently accidently used his Master Ball on a Tentacool because the game didn't warn him that he had exhausted his supply of every other kind of Poke Ball, so, no, in fact it's not impossible to accidentally become empty handed if you're just sitting in the grass constantly catching fodder... If you're really bad at aiming (like I am) yes, this is a bit of an issue.

I don't really feel like playing a game in this style, where the amount of inventory that is 100% key to almost the entirety of the gameplay is something I have to think about during level grinding. Again, totally personal preference.

Edit: Also, on top of that, sometimes wild Pokemon just flee! I wasted Razz Berries and like 6 or 7 Poke Balls on stuff that ended up just running away. This wasn't fun, just frustrating, and entirely a non-optional part of gameplay.

Edit 2: Also, feeding candy– now key to team-building– is not "Pokemon Training". I'm not training my Pokemon there, nor are they working to get stronger. I'm just drugging them. Not a fan of the concept... I realise that the main series before now had the Vitamin items like the Protein and Calcium which boosted stats, but they were optional, hard to come buy, quite expensive, had strict limits on how effective they could be, and required the player and Pokemon to eventually put actual work into training. Now, these Candy things are integral to stat calculation and getting your Pokemon to be the best it can be.

Last edited:
You know what? This game can actually be surprisingly difficult. It won't break you or anything, but compared to all other main series games since Gen VI (where you could just coast on the Exp. Share,) it can be a bit of a challenge.

Coach Trainers aren't shy about abusing candy, which I wasn't really planning to touch until the post-game. Imagine my surprise when my Pikachu was outsped by a freaking Geodude, of all things. In addition, the game accounts for the easier leveling system by bumping up the overall level cap of the NPC's. For example, not one but two trainers west of Lavender Town have Pokemon in their mid-thirties! These weren't important trainers. Just random NPC's with Seakings and Ryhorns in their mid-30's, They were actually a higher level than I was at that point in the game and Ryhorn even caught me by surprise by landing a Horn Drill.

And, while the story remains more or less the same, they have added some extra cutscenes to deepen the lore of the game. It's not a massive overhaul, but hey, you do get to meet
Blue as early as Pewter City. Jessie and James are given a bit more character and are actually more sinister in this game. They literally kidnap the Lavender Town Cubone to sell its skull for money. Also, you get ambushed by Team Rocket before entering Rock Tunnel and freaking Lorelei comes to your rescue!
It's all actually really nice. I can dig all these changes.

Last edited:
I repeat my earlier question: do the Berries your walking Pokémon find from bushes regenerate daily or more randomly?
I can’t give you an exact answer because I’m not 100% sure, but I do think they respawn daily. I know yesterday my Pokémon found some Razz berries in a bush I could’ve sworn I’d already gotten the berries from.

So from what I've seen, people've been shiny hunting and somehow, the shiny they got pretty much got the perfect/a really good nature (A Modest Shiny Vulpix or Jolly Shiny Charmander).

Is this just sheer dumb luck or something that's programmed into the game?

So from what I've seen, people've been shiny hunting and somehow, the shiny they got pretty much got the perfect/a really good nature (A Modest Shiny Vulpix or Jolly Shiny Charmander).

Is this just sheer dumb luck or something that's programmed into the game?
It's programmed into the game.

The way it works is through catching combos (chaining.) If you catch 30+ of a given species in a row, your chances of getting perfect IV's and shiny increase dramatically. I think at 31 combos, you are guaranteed 4 perfect IV's, minimum.

Keep in mind that chaining Pokemon is surprisingly easy in this game. All you have to do to not break the chain is not catch any Pokemon that's different and not turn the game off. The only other way to break the chain is if the Pokemon you're trying to catch runs away. Aside from that, you can leave the area, encounter other Pokemon, battle the Gym Leaders, complete the main adventure, do whatever the hell you want and the chain won't be broken.

As a personal observation, I've noticed that the more you chain a specific Pokemon (say, Chansey) the more common it becomes in the overworld. Idk if I've just been lucky or if this is a programming feature tho.

As a personal observation, I've noticed that the more you chain a specific Pokemon (say, Chansey) the more common it becomes in the overworld. Idk if I've just been lucky or if this is a programming feature tho.

I think you are extremely lucky, since i tried to Chain Tauros and even after a ten chain combo i need to wait almost 30 minutes before another pops up.

There are a ton of features introduced in these games that I adore....and nearly all of them need refining.

The overworld Pokemon? Awesome. Having to literally stand around for x amount of time hoping against hope that a rare Pokemon will spawn? Not awesome. Needs refinement.

Candies replacing EV's? Yes, please. Gimmie more. Having to catch a million Pidgey to farm for candy? Fuck not. Keep that. Also, 200 cap on every stat? Talk about going overboard.

Portable Box system? Must. Have. Portable Box system's interface? No me gusta. Just keep the portable box but with the Gen VII interface.

Nicknaming Pokemon at will? Awesome. Not being able to nickname traded Pokemon still? yawn.

Special treatment for your Starter Pokemon? Make this the standard and let me have Bulbasaur on my shoulder already!!!

Secret Techniques replacing HM's? Yasss!!!!

Ridable Pokemon? Cool idea, but why the fuck are Venusaur, Blastoise, and Pidgeot not ridable? Also Ninetales. That particular one is weird because fucking Persian is ridable.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom