• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers Official Let's Go Pikachu/Let's Go Eevee Discussion Thread

And releasing so many games also means that there is no incentive to make any of them "ultimate".

In other news, I hear that people use Pikachu three times for the online code, as a way to connect to random people. I wonder how effective that is.

Last edited:
Think about it from Game Freak's perspective. Does it make sense to take every LGPE feature (even excluding Go catching) and make it better in the traditional games? I don't see how when they've already expressed interest in continuing Let's Go as a sub-series, and there are plenty of other features they could capitalize on in the traditional games.

Honestly, I don't think there will be others Let's Go games for now. I think Masuda meant that if the reception was far beyond what was expected, they could continue as a sub-series. But it wasn't quite what happened. The game is selling very well for a kind of GO's spin-off inspired by Yellow.

In the UK, their sales in the early days have come close to XY's release sales, although the Switch has a smaller player base than that the 3DS had at the XY's release (20~25mx30m~), and although Let's Go being a kind of spin-off/remake, while XY was a generation starter game. Still, I don't think it's enough to continue as a sub-series. The main series would also cannibalize it over time.

Besides that, the other regions don't have the same appeal with more casual players than Kanto. At most, I can see them doing a Let's Go Johto.

I don't see what would be the problem of following Pokémon coming back to main games and how that would disrupt a possible next Let's Go. If they are to make a new Let's Go, they will have to present new things to convince the audience to buy anyway. Or do you think people would buy a Let's Go Johto just because of this feature? And there are many other unique aspects of Let's Go besides the following Pokémon feature.

I believe everyone expects that to remain for the next generation, and that the system will obviously be improved.

Because they release schedules are way shorther than those two games you mention?
Is not that "it is hard" is that they have a limited development time, if anything.

It depends on what you're talking about that "it's not that it's hard".

Are you talking about the following Pokémon specifically? Because if it is, really, development time is no problem.

They already have all the HD models of the 800 Pokémon running and walking, all of them produced by Creatures Inc.

The Switch 8th gen game, like as every other generation's starter game they have produced, has probably been in development for over 2 years now (It will be 3 years until its release).

I agree that the Game Freak is a small company if compared to some others in the industry. And the fact of being multi-projects to reach the annual releases should make everything more difficult for them. However, it is them who are choosing to launch the games annually ($$$), and they are still so small because they want to, because they have all the money to hire all the professionals they want to.

Also, as I said, talking about following Pokémon specifically, I don't think it would be a really problem for them. They already have everything they need basically (the models produced by Creatures). And the game had enough development time to produce something like that.

But if you're talking about other things the community asks for, like a open world game or something. Need I say that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was produced in just 3 years, and that in more than half time of its development, it had only 40 people working on it? And that still, Monolith probably has a much lower revenue than Game Freak has?

Look, as I explained here, I don't expect a Botw, but certaily I expect much more for the traditional series on Switch. And I really believe that Game Freak will offer a lot more in it (it's you who are saying the other way around, actually). I trust Game Freak, but like I said, time will tell if I'm wrong.

And releasing so many games also means that there is no incentive to make any of them "ultimate".

In other news, I hear that people use Pikachu three times for the online code, as a way to connect to random people. I wonder how effective is that.

I think I quite understand that, in the sense that there will not be a game with all the older regions together and other things like that.

But in the context of each game separately, I believe they always have the mentality to make an "ultimate" game, I mean, to give their all in a timely manner of development to bring the best possible experience of each game (Masuda has already said something like that in Iwata Ask about BW). Also, any methodology outside of that would be a mediocre company's methodology, Game Freak isn't a mediocre company.

Edit
Corrected major english errors.
(They*...Them*...Professionals*...)

Last edited:
But if you're talking about other things the community asks for, like a open world game or something. Need I say that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was produced in just 3 years, and that in more than half time of its development, it had only 40 people working on it? And that still, Monolith probably has a much lower revenue than Game Freak has?

I've seen this being brought up so many times and it's not true.
It is true Monolith had only 40 workers working on the game, but they also outsorced an undetermined number of people to help them finish the game.

And, by the way, internal 3DS titles ID suggests Pokémon games have 1.5 years of real development — not conceptual work or similar, which usually starts 3 years prior the release, as Masuda said they started conceptualizing XY during Summer 2010.

I do believe following Pokémon is something they should add in the future games, but I don't know how are they going to do if, if they are going to do it or if they have the time to do it.

I've seen this being brought up so many times and it's not true.
It is true Monolith had only 40 workers working on the game, but they also outsorced an undetermined number of people to help them finish the game.

Yeah, it is common for companies to do that. If we would view this way, we could say that Game Freak also doesn't have only 143 employees, because we would not be counting the "interns" (I'm not sure how to call them in english).

Recently Game Freak was offering more internship opportunities, with the possibility of approval (as far I remember). That counts as "outsource" too.

And, by the way, internal 3DS titles ID suggests Pokémon games have 1.5 years of real development — not conceptual work or similar, which usually starts 3 years prior the release, as Masuda said they started conceptualizing XY during Summer 2010.

I know when XY's development started (2 months after BW's japanese release, if I'm not mistaken), that's what I said (3 years of development).

And I just used the example of Xenoblade to show how a small but skillful team can do big things in a really little development time (contrary to your first claim, that implied that Game Freak will not do certain things because theirs development time is small). And if Game Freak want, with the money they have, they certainly could hire staff to do whatever they want to.

But it's obvious that with Game Freak the case is different from Monolith in that sense. Monolith is better at programming than Game Freak, and this is explained by its origins. While Monolith began as a game developer with influence from Square, Game Freak started as a game fanzine. And that alone explains a lot.

Although I think that by excluding the programming aspect, Game Freak is as competent as Monolith, in all of the other aspects. But as I said, its explains why Monolith is capable of developing bigger things in less time.

About the difference between conceptual development and technical development, I don't have the information on how early the development of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 actually began (if the conceptual development began before 2014 or not). Not that it adds much, since I wasn't even thinking of comparing the development time of XY directly with that of Xenoblade Chronicles 2. But I would like to know, so if you have that information, you could tell me.

But as I said, I just wanted to show you how you can do big things in a little time at all, and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a great example of that.

I do believe following Pokémon is something they should add in the future games, but I don't know how are they going to do if, if they are going to do it or if they have the time to do it

How could they not have time for that?

Look, Pokemon games are the most successful JRPG in the world. Game Freak has always been very well financially, and yet little has grown since its inception.

If they are realizing that with the number of employees they currently have they will not be able to do the project that they wish to do/need to do in the development time that they have, they should hire more specialized staff.

But still, really I don't see how that can be the case with following and rideables Pokémon. As I said, they already have everything ready to use. The models that Creatures Inc. produced in HD are all there. You should have seen them on youtube, right?

Developing the following Pokémon feature in the next games, and enabling some more rideable options, would be very easy to them, it would not take more time of development than they have, nor more employees, would be totally appropriate in the development time and the structure of them. I don't see how time would be a problem for something simple like that.

Of course, as I said in the thread about the 8th gen, they may not develop this feature as I would like at once (with all possible rideable Pokémon in the 8th gen), but I think they can bring us many news rideables Pokémon in the next generation, and develop the rest within the next generations.

If you want to answer me one last time and add something else one more time, feel free to do so, I think it's fine.

But I'm going to stop here so the discussion doesn't go too far from the thread subject (Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee).

Edit
Corrected major english errors.
(You should have seen them* on youtube...)

Last edited:
Myth said:
Honestly, I don't think there will be others Let's Go games for now. I think Masuda meant that if the reception was far beyond what was expected, they could continue as a sub-series.
That's your interpretation.

At most, I can see them doing a Let's Go Johto.
I didn't say otherwise. Archer's last words in LGPE would be very mystifying to new players if sequels weren't on the agenda, and since they're finally characterizing him, I think his role is likely to be expanded compared to previous Johto games.

I don't see what would be the problem of following Pokémon coming back to main games and how that would disrupt a possible next Let's Go. If they are to make a new Let's Go, they will have to present new things to convince the audience to buy anyway. Or do you think people would buy a Let's Go Johto just because of this feature? And there are many other unique aspects of Let's Go besides the following Pokémon feature.
The more exclusive features define Let's Go, the better the series' appeal. BW didn't carry over following Pokemon even though HGSS were just regular remakes.

I wouldn't take overworld wild Pokemon for granted, either. Or Go compatibility.

Last edited:
That's your interpretation.

Ok. I showed you (briefly) sales data for Let's Go, and why it would not work as a regular series (apart from Kanto and Johto, no other region would have much appeal to the casual audience, and for that reason, and by others , the sub-series would end up being cannibalized by the main series), and that's just my interpretation? Okay then.

I didn't say otherwise. Archer's last words in LGPE would be very mystifying to new players if sequels weren't on the agenda.

Now that's your interpretation. Archer's last words can't be just a reference to the timeline as we know it? And I don't think they would force themselves to make another game just because of it. They have done this several times (leave references back). And having a continuation isn't the same as becoming a regular sub-series.

The more exclusive features define Let's Go, the better the series' appeal. BW didn't carry over following Pokemon even though HGSS were just regular remakes.

I wouldn't take overworld wild Pokemon for granted, either. Or Go compatibility.

But you are even quoting some of the others uniques features of Let's Go, the following Pokémon remaining to the next games would not take away all of the other unique differences of a supposed next Let's Go game. People would not buy a Let's Go Johto just because of that feature...

Edit
(your* interpretation...)

Last edited:
....Anyway....

What Hoenn Pokémon would be rideable?

I’m thinking:

-Swampert
-Milotic
-Metagross
-All the Dragon Types introduced this Gen
-The Weather Trio
-Lati@s
-Slaking
-Maybe Manectric. Maybe.
-Tropius
-Pelipper

Ridable Pokemon? Cool idea, but why the fuck are Venusaur, Blastoise, and Pidgeot not ridable? Also Ninetales. That particular one is weird because fucking Persian is ridable.
I agree with everything you've said, but I must add that I so badly want a rideable Pidgeot and Ninetales. At least I can finally fulfill my lifelong dream of riding Arcanine.

A question for those who have played - are the motion controls too strenuous on the hands? With how much catching you seem to have to do in this game, it seems like it might get painful after some time. And I don't want to destroy my pain-prone hands whilst playing.

(I am aware that you can switch to handheld mode to avoid it, but I'd prefer to stay in TV mode if possible.)

I can definitely see Let's Go Togepi being a thing. It'd be focused on the special egg you receive.
Rather than Pichu I think the 2nd counterpart will be Elekid, Let's Go Elekid. Another 3 stage evolution line similar to Togepi and initially the standard go to image to promote eggs and breeding was this

235px-SugimoriEggs.png

....Anyway....

What Hoenn Pokémon would be rideable?

I’m thinking:

-Swampert
-Milotic
-Metagross
-All the Dragon Types introduced this Gen
-The Weather Trio
-Lati@s
-Slaking
-Maybe Manectric. Maybe.
-Tropius
-Pelipper

- Aggron
- Hariyama
- Mightyena
- Exploud
- Sharpedo
- Wailord
- Camerupt
- Absol
- Glalie
- Relicanth

Honestly, I’d be more inclined to think that we could get a Let’s Go Elekid and a Let’s Go Magby. The two are often seen a counterparts, after all, and both have their baby Pokémon appeal.

Their evolved forms (specially Magby's) don’t carry that appeal though. Eelctrabuzz might get cool points, but Magmar has no such luck.
I don’t see them being restricted Evolution-wise since they’re much more baby-like than Pikachu/Eevee.

I must admit, training Pokemon IS stupid easy in this game. I'm only in Viridian forest chaining for a shiny Oddish and Pikachu is already at LV 16 from 31 chain.

@Myth You used a single country for your argument, and even then it was muddy due to how close the sales are to XY's in the UK. We can now tell that the LGPE are the fastest selling Switch games at over 3 million worldwide per the first weekend. It's hard to tell how ORAS did since the European launch was a week late, but it was most likely between 3 and 4 million.

And any comparison to past remakes can't work so easily since LGPE are the first Switch games, which means that the install base is much lower (23 million compared to over 40 for ORAS). Add that to the games being twice as expensive on average (due to the Poke Ball Plus), being shareable in a single household, only generating hype recently and appealing to casuals who don't rush to buy games on launch... I'm sure that they're meeting expectations and then some.

I am not even talking about Hoenn or Sinnoh right now, but by your logic those regions shouldn't have been implemented into Go.

Last edited:
I said they were doing well. It was predictable that it would reach 3~5 million copies worldwide in the first week. About the Switch having a smaller base, I said that. And about the games being more expensive now, I agree.

Among the casual audience, Kanto is by far the region with the highest appeal, with Johto below. From Johto to Hoenn and Sinnoh, the appeal drops drastically (and I don't even need to quote Unova). So the games would be designed for a non-target audience. There would be much more demand for a new traditional Hoenn and Sinnoh remakes than for a Let's Go style one (you can see that by the number of people "fearing" of Sinnoh's remakes being Let's Go). In other words, over time, the sub-series would be totally "cannibalized" by the main series. So, a traditional game, even at a higher cost of production, would be much more profitable to sell.

I'm just saying of the Kanto bigger -appeal factor, but there would be other reasons why a Let's Go sub-series would be "cannibalized" by the main series over time, if we were to think about...(just to point out one more, with many games from the traditional saga having been released on the platform, most people, even novices, would be tempted to buy the "full" experience, one of the traditional series games, instead of starting with the "beginner" series, and playing only "half of the experience").

And it's a very different logic from adding Hoenn and Sinnoh's Pokémon to the mobile app. It's for free, after all. And they're not even compelling people to download another game, just updating it. They are different situations.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom