• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers Official Let's Go Pikachu/Let's Go Eevee Discussion Thread

It isn't a minor thing for a female player who felt that Kris was the first player character she could relate to.

I feel the same way about Red and Chase. They look similar enough, but I know that they're different and that ticks me off. Of course, the worst culprit is Trace since he actually has a personality that is very different than Blue's (who was also toned down for these games). I would have been fine with him as a secondary rival, but not like this.

But I find it hard to visualize Blue with a Pikachu, so I guess that's another excuse for the switch.

It is quite hilarious how people have abused the AV system in this game. For instance, one person exploited the 200 point boost in all stats to defeat the Elite Four and Champion with only a level 3 Magikarp.

Oh, is this brilliant... But I hope this system does not go into the main series game - too broken! :p

It is quite hilarious how people have abused the AV system in this game. For instance, one person exploited the 200 point boost in all stats to defeat the Elite Four and Champion with only a level 3 Magikarp.

Oh, is this brilliant... But I hope this system does not go into the main series game - too broken! :p
I'm not sure if I'd call that abuse because there's no way Game Freak didn't see this coming. I think Pokemon Let's Go and the other main series games are going to remain separate. The EV system allows for diverse strategies whereas PLG's awakening system means that all Pokemon have a flat 200 stat point increase, which in competitive scenes means that having AVs on or off nets the same results because variation is all due to BST (and finally people who argue that increases in all stats was good for diversity can experiment and realize its not).

What the Awakening points do accomplish is that it makes sure that your favourite Pokemon aren't outclassed in-game. But in competitive scenes where everyone would have perfect IVs and AVs? It's all up to BST.

Most LGPE players seem to play without candies, which Game Freak encourage by calling that "normal rules".

Isn't getting 200 candies for six stats ridiculously time-consuming, even with species candies? Let the Magikarp trainer have their fun.

The Outrage said:
But in competitive scenes where everyone would have perfect IVs and AVs? It's all up to BST.
That's debatable, as the difference between 500 and 400 is much less significant than the difference between 300 and 200 (as far as damage calculation is concerned). Speed remains the same, though.

Okay, so I noticed that when playing the game, whenever an opponent uses a healing item it always says "You" used it. Is that the case for everyone or is my game just on drugs or something? :confused:

Are you playing the game in English? It seems to be a translation mistake/error rather than a game bug.
For instance it doesn't happen in other languages, afaik.

Are you playing the game in English? It seems to be a translation mistake/error rather than a game bug.
For instance it doesn't happen in other languages, afaik.

Yeah, mine is in English. But that would be a pretty severe translation error with it happening to every single opponent who uses items :confused: Maybe it's more of a coding error that I guess only effected the English version? Idk honestly, but it's nice to know that it doesn't happen in other languages.

Thoughts on the game after beating the main storyline:

Overall, this was a really good game! There are opinions I had on it before, that I don't have now, an now that the rush has died down a bit, I am able to feel more conclusive on my feelings.

The biggest thing I want to talk about, is the capture mechanics. When I first started playing the game, I absolutely loved them. They were so fun to use. But, when Pokemon got harder to catch, and the more I used the controls, I started to notice my results were less consistent, and did not fix even after calibrating my motion controls. Often I found it would take a couple more seconds to respond, thus ruining the throw. Or sometimes it would randomly throw the pokeball miles away even though I had done that exact motion before and it would be fine. But side throws... don't even get me started. It feels like it wants you to throw it a certain way, but nope, it's basically has to be thrown horizontally, and it is not consistent. Sometimes it will throw it right, sometimes it goes in the complete opposite direction. I still enjoy catching Pokemon in Pokemon Go... when the capture mechanics are actually working properly.

But getting this personal flaw out of my mind, let's talk about some good stuff.

I will say this time and time again, the soundtrack is absolutely amazing. All the compositions sound amazing in that high definition sound. The music always felt so emersive and honestly I can't thinkof any theme that I didn't enjoy listening oo.

Despite the graphics still being outdated, with the character and overworld models basically being taken out of Gen 6 and made tolook a little nicer, I still think the graphics look pretty good. The colors and especially the lighting all look really good. It really gives you a good idea of what kind of area you are in. And if this game had more of a day and night cycle it would look absolutely amazing!

The story is good. For being a remake of the older games, I wasn't expecting much, cuz I knew Kanto never had much of a story. I was hoping to feel more of a threat from Team Rocket, but honestly I feel the Team Rocket in the Johto games felt a little more threatening. There I felt more concerned, while here the only time I felt the need to defeat them was in Celadon because of the Cubone. And besides this storyline there is not really much in the game. It's really bare bones compared to the newer titles.

Yes, I miss having a jerk rival, and I hope Gen 8 will bring it back (even though it probably won't happen) but Trace (i think that's the canon rival name) was actually a pretty okay rival. No, he's no Gary or Silver, but he's got bits of personality in there. I loved how he was pretty freaked out by the ghosts in Lavender Town, and while he was friendly, he definitely was not as handholdy as previous rivals. Like there was 2 or 3 times he gave me a helpful item, and maybe once that he healed my Pokemon. If i remember correctly, Hau always healed your Pokemon in Sun and Moon.

Speaking of handholdy ness in the game. I was expecting more. Like, yes the game told me basic mechanics, but I don't remember it telling me repeatedly. But once you got the mechanics down, you got them. I also feel like when the game introduced you to something, it didn't force you to do it. The only time I got even slightly annoyed was when Trace was like "That's a Pokemon center, but it was stoped when he didn't force me in the building to explain how it worked, he just said I could go heal my Pokemon when they needed it. And so what if the game gives you 50 pokeballs at the start of the game, and trainers give them to you. You have no item limit, and with the games capture mechanics, and ability to gain experience points through capturing, they are a really nice reward to get. It's convenient.

And I think that's my favorite thing about this game. It's convenient. You know what I hate in Pokemon game's. and it's something that has literally prevented me from completing any Pokemon game before Gen 6, with the exclusion of Crystal cuz that was my first? Grinding! I absolutely hate grinding. I hate grinding off wild Pokemon when there are not enough trainers o help get your experience points up. I had to grind maybe once in the entire course of the game, and that was just to get my low level Growlithe up with the rest. And it was okay because it was still early in the game, where Pokemon were pretty easy, and fun to capture, and I could just catch Pokemon. I could shiny hunt and grind at the same time and enjoy myself with it. The game gives you much more opportunities for XP and it makes getting through the game a lot easier. In fact, sometimes I thought that there were too many trainers, Like i was just ready to get to the next town.
Not only that, but Pokemon being in the overworld is just much more convenient, and makes it look so much more alive. Like I can admire them, and not have to run into a wild encounter at every second, or waste a lot of Pokedollars on repels. This just makes Pokemon an overall more pleasant experience.

Finally, let's just talk about the postgame. It's... not much. But what the initial Yellow had virtually none. Yes, it does have the master trainers and Red, Blue, and Green (which I haven't got to yet). But I haven o interest in those master trainers. Training up a weak Pokemon all the way to a high as heck level just for one battle.. no thanks. I'll do the ones for my team and maybe a couple others, but nah fam.

Overall. I give this game an 8/10. It's overall fun, and the only thing that truly bugged me were the capture mechanics and a little bit by the postgame. But other than that, these are good games. Would I recommend buying a switch just to play these games.. Personally no but if you really love Pokemon than do it.

techitisJ said:
Would I recommend buying a switch just to play these games.. Personally no but if you really love Pokemon than do it.
Virtually everyone here is going to buy a Switch eventually for future games, so buying one now is a long-term investment. You could wait for a new Switch revision, but who knows what that will entail.

Just a little thought on the Let’s Go candy system.

Psyduck is one of my favourite Pokémon and while I’m not a competitive battler, I do enjoy making my favourite Pokémon as strong as they can be. Let’s Go and the candy system has allowed me to make a Psyduck strong enough to have in my team for the whole game, and I really loved that. It was new and interesting, not to mention a whole lot of fun! That Psyduck Master Trainer didn’t know what hit them

I’ve seen a lot of Pokémon fans saying that the candy system is a big hint that the Pokémon in Let’s Go won’t be compatible with Gen 8. I’m not an expert but it’s hard to argue with that. Surely it would wreak complete and utter havoc on the competitive scene in Gen 8 if someone’s Psyduck with 400 Special Attack can be transferred in.

I’m just interested to hear some people’s thoughts on this. In Let’s Go, there is so much emphasis put on the relationship you build with your Pokémon. That, in addition to Masuda’s quote on how regrettable the non-compatibility of Gen 2 to Gen 3 was for both the fanbase and Game Freak - it just makes me think that being unable to transfer from Let’s Go to Gen 8 would be met with a lot of backlash.

Would a possible solution be to just make the Candied-up Pokémon inelligible for competitive battling in Gen 8?

I’m just interested to hear some people’s thoughts on this. In Let’s Go, there is so much emphasis put on the relationship you build with your Pokémon.

I never really got that impression from any LGPE Pokemon that isn’t the starter, since it encourages you to capture Pokémon over and over again (even of the same species), just to get a superior Pokémon of a species. It also has sort-of made capturing Pokémon a stat- you’re enouraged to collect as many Pokémon as possible without any focus on actually spending time with them.

Weirdly enough, they do a good job of making people close to the starter, but bond8ng with each and every Pokemon? I think LGPE fails at that.

Even though I play Go often, it is one of my complaints with it too.

I never really got that impression from any LGPE Pokemon that isn’t the starter, since it encourages you to capture Pokémon over and over again (even of the same species), just to get a superior Pokémon of a species. It also has sort-of made capturing Pokémon a stat- you’re enouraged to collect as many Pokémon as possible without any focus on actually spending time with them.

Weirdly enough, they do a good job of making people close to the starter, but bond8ng with each and every Pokemon? I think LGPE fails at that.

Huh, interesting. I felt that the emphasis on bonding extended to the whole team, probably mainly due to the return of Pokémon following you. I kinda saw the need for catching multiples of the same Pokémon as simply a mechanic rather than ‘oh... I just got 50 Pidgy that I’m not going to bond with’, you know? How much are Pokémon which are destined for the PC bonded with in previous games anyway?

Each to their own though!

How much are Pokémon which are destined for the PC bonded with in previous games anyway?

It was optional in the previous games though. In Platinum I focused on bonding with the Pokemon I caught and not capturing them for Dex purposes till defeating the champion, and ended up with around 15 Pokemon including gifts for the main campaign.

In LGPE however there is no such option if you want to be levelled enough to actually play.

But given what LGPE has done to enhance bonding experience with the starter I can see how some people may view them as a game focusing on bonds,

In other terms, PoGo forces you to act like Paul.

These games don't force you to maximize IVs or the shiny rate in any way. They just make it easier to do so without breeding.

You can also finish the main story while only catching around 40 Pokemon (for Koga's gym, if you evolve around 10), making some battles challenging but not ridiculously so. Grinding for the Master Trainers is a different story, but I think that the sensible way to approach those is that if you already plan to train a Pokemon, you can take on the respective Master Trainer for something extra. If you choose to catch a lot of Chansey for that, so be it.

The games do encourage using more Pokemon via the portable box, and Affection is boosted seamlessly via walking. Some people might prefer the Refresh/Amie way, but I don't due to how repetitive it gets. At the same time, partner interaction is pretty varied and polished.

These games don't force you to maximize IVs or the shiny rate in any way. They just make it easier to do so without breeding.

You can also finish the main story while only catching around 40 Pokemon (for Koga's gym, if you evolve around 10), making some battles challenging but not ridiculously so. Grinding for the Master Trainers is a different story, but I think that the sensible way to approach those is that if you already plan to train a Pokemon, you can take on the respective Master Trainer for something extra. If you choose to catch a lot of Chansey for that, so be it.

You’re forgetting that catching Pokémon also gives experience necessary to have a not-underlevelled Pokemon.

I am not forgetting anything. As I said, just meeting Koga's requirement should be enough to have a decent chance of clearing the main story. It was typical to be very underleveled compared to the Elite Four in the original games if you didn't grind.

And beating Pokemon senseless isn't more conducive to bonding than throwing balls is.

Edit: Here's my extensive review of the games.

Last edited:
Thoughts on the game after beating the main storyline:

Overall, this was a really good game! There are opinions I had on it before, that I don't have now, an now that the rush has died down a bit, I am able to feel more conclusive on my feelings.

The biggest thing I want to talk about, is the capture mechanics. When I first started playing the game, I absolutely loved them. They were so fun to use. But, when Pokemon got harder to catch, and the more I used the controls, I started to notice my results were less consistent, and did not fix even after calibrating my motion controls. Often I found it would take a couple more seconds to respond, thus ruining the throw. Or sometimes it would randomly throw the pokeball miles away even though I had done that exact motion before and it would be fine. But side throws... don't even get me started. It feels like it wants you to throw it a certain way, but nope, it's basically has to be thrown horizontally, and it is not consistent. Sometimes it will throw it right, sometimes it goes in the complete opposite direction. I still enjoy catching Pokemon in Pokemon Go... when the capture mechanics are actually working properly.

But getting this personal flaw out of my mind, let's talk about some good stuff.

I will say this time and time again, the soundtrack is absolutely amazing. All the compositions sound amazing in that high definition sound. The music always felt so emersive and honestly I can't thinkof any theme that I didn't enjoy listening oo.

Despite the graphics still being outdated, with the character and overworld models basically being taken out of Gen 6 and made tolook a little nicer, I still think the graphics look pretty good. The colors and especially the lighting all look really good. It really gives you a good idea of what kind of area you are in. And if this game had more of a day and night cycle it would look absolutely amazing!

The story is good. For being a remake of the older games, I wasn't expecting much, cuz I knew Kanto never had much of a story. I was hoping to feel more of a threat from Team Rocket, but honestly I feel the Team Rocket in the Johto games felt a little more threatening. There I felt more concerned, while here the only time I felt the need to defeat them was in Celadon because of the Cubone. And besides this storyline there is not really much in the game. It's really bare bones compared to the newer titles.

Yes, I miss having a jerk rival, and I hope Gen 8 will bring it back (even though it probably won't happen) but Trace (i think that's the canon rival name) was actually a pretty okay rival. No, he's no Gary or Silver, but he's got bits of personality in there. I loved how he was pretty freaked out by the ghosts in Lavender Town, and while he was friendly, he definitely was not as handholdy as previous rivals. Like there was 2 or 3 times he gave me a helpful item, and maybe once that he healed my Pokemon. If i remember correctly, Hau always healed your Pokemon in Sun and Moon.

Speaking of handholdy ness in the game. I was expecting more. Like, yes the game told me basic mechanics, but I don't remember it telling me repeatedly. But once you got the mechanics down, you got them. I also feel like when the game introduced you to something, it didn't force you to do it. The only time I got even slightly annoyed was when Trace was like "That's a Pokemon center, but it was stoped when he didn't force me in the building to explain how it worked, he just said I could go heal my Pokemon when they needed it. And so what if the game gives you 50 pokeballs at the start of the game, and trainers give them to you. You have no item limit, and with the games capture mechanics, and ability to gain experience points through capturing, they are a really nice reward to get. It's convenient.

And I think that's my favorite thing about this game. It's convenient. You know what I hate in Pokemon game's. and it's something that has literally prevented me from completing any Pokemon game before Gen 6, with the exclusion of Crystal cuz that was my first? Grinding! I absolutely hate grinding. I hate grinding off wild Pokemon when there are not enough trainers o help get your experience points up. I had to grind maybe once in the entire course of the game, and that was just to get my low level Growlithe up with the rest. And it was okay because it was still early in the game, where Pokemon were pretty easy, and fun to capture, and I could just catch Pokemon. I could shiny hunt and grind at the same time and enjoy myself with it. The game gives you much more opportunities for XP and it makes getting through the game a lot easier. In fact, sometimes I thought that there were too many trainers, Like i was just ready to get to the next town.
Not only that, but Pokemon being in the overworld is just much more convenient, and makes it look so much more alive. Like I can admire them, and not have to run into a wild encounter at every second, or waste a lot of Pokedollars on repels. This just makes Pokemon an overall more pleasant experience.

Finally, let's just talk about the postgame. It's... not much. But what the initial Yellow had virtually none. Yes, it does have the master trainers and Red, Blue, and Green (which I haven't got to yet). But I haven o interest in those master trainers. Training up a weak Pokemon all the way to a high as heck level just for one battle.. no thanks. I'll do the ones for my team and maybe a couple others, but nah fam.

Overall. I give this game an 8/10. It's overall fun, and the only thing that truly bugged me were the capture mechanics and a little bit by the postgame. But other than that, these are good games. Would I recommend buying a switch just to play these games.. Personally no but if you really love Pokemon than do it.

Couple things to add to that, since I agree with A LOT of things you said.
To add more to Trace... the Cubone plot with him ALONE, sets him miles above the likes of the failure squad from XY. The fact that Cubone becomes his motive for wanting to stop Team Rocket does add a bit of development to him, not by much and the fact that he is filling the shoes of Blue sets him in the lower tier.... but it helps turn someone a lot of people were going to hate into his own.

The Legendary encounters in this game actually feel like you are going against a legendary of great power. Where you have to beat the thing in a time limit before you start chucking balls. Something most games don't do. (Necrozma in USUM being the exception.)

Not to mention, the interactions between you and your starter is just adorable and heart warming. It does feel like you and your starter are taking the stage in this journey.

I admit that I don't hate Trace thanks to the Cubone subplot, whereas most rivals are just "meh" to me. He could have used another cutscene with Cubone and some backstory, though. All we know is that he has always underestimated the player character despite being their friend.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom