• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers Official Let's Go Pikachu/Let's Go Eevee Discussion Thread

Is it sad that I'm not surprised that GF would stoop low enough to lock Mew behind a $50 paywall? Because after USUM I'm not.

You literally don't even have to use the Grass or Water mon against Brock, lol, not sure why anyone would be raising a fuss over that

Anyway, Trace looks cool~
I think the point is more the principle of the matter. Sure, you can grab a Pokémon real quick and swap it out, but why must they force you to do so? Why not simply have an NPC or a sign offer some tips about the weaknesses and where to get the Pokémon? They've done this before in other games.

To me, this suggests that they question the player's intelligence and ability to learn how to play a game with just simple hints. And I think that's the reason why myself and others have qualms with it. It may not be such a big deal in the long run. And this might be the only gym to do it, but for now, all we can do is judge this little bit of information.

Is it really that important to get Mew? I'm pretty sure USUM already gave out Mew via event anyway right?

No, there was a Mew event for Japan last year, but it was for Sun & Moon, not the Ultras. America and Europe’s most recent Mew events were even further back, in 2016.

But yes, in some ways it is important to get Mew. Isn’t that kind of the whole idea of having these limited-time distributions for super-rare Pokémon that you can’t find in the games themselves? Mew may not unlock anything, but if these Pokémon weren’t special, nobody would care and TPC wouldn’t tout them like they do. Being able to collect Pokémon that you like and think are cool is a major part of the game, and it’s really not hard to see why somebody wouldn’t be happy about having to shell out $50 just for one Pokémon that they would like to have.

It's the thought of restriction that rubs people wrong, I'm guessing.

I personally don't find taking 2 seconds to pull over and catch a random Grass/Water type all that problematic, but that's just me. Especially if you're starting with Pikachu and Eevee in the first place, it's likely you'd be catching one of those types anyway.

I think the point is more the principle of the matter. Sure, you can grab a Pokémon real quick and swap it out, but why must they force you to do so? Why not simply have an NPC or a sign offer some tips about the weaknesses and where to get the Pokémon? They've done this before in other games.

To me, this suggests that they question the player's intelligence and ability to learn how to play a game with just simple hints. And I think that's the reason why myself and others have qualms with it. It may not be such a big deal in the long run. And this might be the only gym to do it, but for now, all we can do is judge this little bit of information.

As I mentioned above, I personally don't see that much of an issue just taking 2 seconds to catch one of those types of Pokemon (which you'd probably have anyway considering your starters' typings). I also doubt that this will hold for all Gyms. It's just not a huge issue IMO even if it does seem "handholdy"

Who cares about Mew lol, Mythicals have never been required for Pokedex completion anyways. It's just a cool bonus you can play with if you do decide to get it.

I heard Mew is exclusive to the Pokeball thing, that's some hella expensive DLC

They'll clearly release it later for free but hey, people "wont know that" and will go spend a few hundred so they can get the little pink guy (cuz let's be fair, they're gonna sell out and people are gonna sell them on Ebay for hella profit)

Why would they do that?

Why would they ditch 700 mons and change the catching system? this is Pokemon lol, don't ever rule anything out.

They don’t even allow you to transfer Mew from Go when literally every other gen 1 pokemon can. They have no excuse.[/QUOTE]

Their excuse is that they want money

Who cares about Mew lol.

Is that a serious question?

Last edited:
I don’t mind the Grass/Water thing for Brock too much, to be honest. I remember that I used to ragequit as a kid because I found Brock frustrating due to having Charmander and Pidgey in my team. It was thanks to an older friend which I managed to go forward with the game, because otherwise I would have dropped the playthrough.

I played through FRLG for the first time and had almost exactly the same team as you. And I swept through Brock with Charmander's metal claw...

Restricting the Pokemon you can use at Brock's gym is infuriating. Just tell me Grass and water are particularly strong against his Pokemon and let me do my own thing!
I'm betting that co-op can be used in gym battles to make the battles even easier.

I played through FRLG for the first time and had almost exactly the same team as you. And I swept through Brock with Charmander's metal claw...

Restricting the Pokemon you can use at Brock's gym is infuriating. Just tell me Grass and water are particularly strong against his Pokemon and let me do my own thing!
I'm betting that co-op can be used in gym battles to make the battles even easier.

You know, there was so much potential to answer one of my biggest questions about the game at E3, and they failed to answer it, which is "if the trainer you're battling has 2+ Pokemon, will co-op battles become full on double battles?"

But EVERY trainer they went against had a single Pokemon which I found infuriatingly coincidental, because I want battles to become double battles when possible, but they're making it impossible to know for sure. People have assumed all battles are 2v1 but I've confirmed that every co-op battle we've witnessed happened to be against a trainer with only one Pokemon, so we do not know for sure whether they're always 2v1 or if they'll go to 2v2 when able.

Currently seeing the treehouse gameplay to give this game a chance.

The art style is charming and the way the trainer throws Pikachu from his shoulder is cute!

But I also noticed that wild encounters give Exp. to every Pokemon.
So auto exp. share is forced on every player.

Well who the heck ever stops to talk to random npcs to get tips unless you're forced to talk to them. Not to mention who would ever put two and two together the grass beats rock? I had to learn that from the anime when I was a kid. I don't get with up with the "questioning intelligence" bit that I'm hearing a lot comes from either. It maybe easy for us now cause we played the games for years, but some people need some way to learn it.

It maybe easy for us now cause we played the games for years, but some people need some way to learn it.
There are better ways of learning type advantages than what LGPE is doing, including in previous Pokemon games.
gym1panels3.png

Well who the heck ever stops to talk to random npcs to get tips unless you're forced to talk to them. Not to mention who would ever put two and two together the grass beats rock? I had to learn that from the anime when I was a kid. I don't get with up with the "questioning intelligence" bit that I'm hearing a lot comes from either. It maybe easy for us now cause we played the games for years, but some people need some way to learn it.

Then why not make it forced NPC talk? A forced dialogue is much better than altering your team just to enter a gym.

Then why not make it forced NPC talk? A forced dialogue is much better than altering your team just to enter a gym.

Is it really "altering your team" at THIS stage of the game? I mean come on. Most people are only gonna have 2-3 dedicated team members by Brock, unless starters are available before Brock, I'll probably only be committed to Pikachu as I'm mimicking Red's team and Lapras and Snorlax are wayyyy later on.

Having the Grass or Water-type sit in the back of your party equates to the position HM slaves held in the past.

It's funny how nobody really screamed "why is Gamefreak forcing me to have a Flying-type JUST so I can Fly around the region smh".

Okay so maybe they did say that, and we got Ride Share out of it.

My point is this isn't necessarily something "new" as far as hassles go. This is basically dedicating a single slot for only one gym to an HM slave, we'll call it a type slave from now on.

If I interpretted the in-game text correctly, this is only for Brock's gym as a sort of lesson for "new trainers".

I believe he said something like, "trainers without a badge are required to have these types to battle Brock".

Which implies all future gym visits where we have Brock's badge plus other badges won't require this.

It really shouldn't be that big of a deal bro.

You had to do this for six generations just to use HM's, this is the same concept but on a far less annoying scale and appears to be a one-time thing for the Pewter City Gym only.

Besides, this game has already given plenty of incentives to catch every Pokemon you see anyways, for experience and to transfer for EV candies.

My point is this isn't necessarily something "new" as far as hassles go. This is basically dedicating a single slot for only one gym to an HM slave, we'll call it a type slave from now on.

Which isn’t much better. GameFreak recognised HM salves as detrimental to the in game experience and removed them.
So they knew "Type slaves" are detrimental to the experience.

These games promise to keep 'veterans on their toes'. They seem like empty words at this point.

People were annoyed about using flying types to use HMs too.

What LGPE is doing isn’t any better.

But it's not any worse and that's more my point than anything.

And as I've mentioned several times now, it does appear to be a one-time thing, and as I mentioned in another thread, which I edited to add as a quote to my above post, catching other Pokemon is already incentivized anyways both for experience for your team and for EV candies anyways, so you'll surely have one by Brock anyways.

Watched the treehouse and here's a list of positives and negatives imo:

Positives
-Charming art style
-Co-Op
-A nice looking UI
-Dressing up Pikachu and Eevee
- Multiple wild Pikachu and Eevee available
- Transfers from Pokemon GO avaible

Negatives
-Stright up remake of yellow
-Currently minimal story changes with no Rainbow Rocket or other new elements
- No abilities
- No Cross evolutions and Pokemon beyond the original 151
- Only one new Pokemon (even USUM introduced more!)
- Mew locked behind an accessory

This is rather underwhelming for the first Switch game since the entry requires a new console. It also doesn’t seem to be worth the extra $20 price increase from the 3DS.

My opinions would’ve been different if I had been a die-hard fan of yellow but I'm not so...

It would be nice to find the starters in the wild. I'm remaining positive about this game. I don't mind all the changes.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom