• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers Official Let's Go Pikachu/Let's Go Eevee Discussion Thread

I wonder if Eevee is going to get access to a buffed Rock Smash (to make it equivalent to Double Kick). The other choices would be pretty random.

a) it’s a pretty easy phase of the game already, so do they have to so blatantly encourage you to take the easiest possible way of getting through it on top of that? And b) you’re already going to have a Pikachu with Double Kick or an Eevee likely with its own supereffective equivalent, so the Grass- or Water-type isn’t even needed in order to have an advantage against Brock.
While I agree with your second point, as someone who started with Yellow I could never call Brock an easy phase (till now, lol). I either missed Mankey or didn't feel like catching it (probably being unaware of its advantage), so I had to grind for a Butterfree after having lost. It was a good learning experience, but I am not surprised that Masuda doesn't want to force it upon kids anymore.

Last edited:
Not necessarily. The trailer makes it clear that the rule is set in place for Trainers who are just beginning their journeys. Other Gyms could either have no such rule, or even have rules that could make things more challenging and interesting for the late Gyms.
You pretty much said what I was thinking. And seems like people are still missing that.

In Yellow, I would always solo Brock with Body Slam Pikachu after grinding a bit. Even as a not very effective hit, the level difference and high base power were enough to get through Brock.

While I agree with your second point, as someone who started with Yellow I could never call Brock an easy phase (till now, lol). I either missed Mankey or didn't feel like catching it (probably being unaware of its advantage), so I had to grind for a Butterfree after having lost. It was a good learning experience, but I am not surprised that Masuda doesn't want to force it upon kids anymore.

Good point. Sorry, it’s just that when I think of Kanto I usually think of the non-Yellow games, and they do keep showing off the regular Starter trio in the early stages of this game.

Anyway, for as much as I do think there’s a lot of value in learning through experience/trial and error (I’m personally glad to have learned to play the game “from scratch”), I can understand their desire to make things easier and more introductory... I just wish they’d realize that there are plenty of other, more elegant solutions than their current method of sacrificing any semblance of challenge for the sake of making the games an entry point. I never quite agreed with the complaints about handholding in the 3DS games; I thought those changes were at least reasonable, and even the Exp. Share, while completely broken, was optional (and still managed to be useful for other purposes). But what we’ve seen of LGPE just makes me feel like they’ve got no confidence in their players.

At least for right now though, I can shrug that off as something linked to these being such casualized games. But it does make me somewhat concerned for next year, despite whatever they’ve said about having two different RPG audiences.

In Yellow, I would always solo Brock with Body Slam Pikachu after grinding a bit. Even as a not very effective hit, the level difference and high base power were enough to get through Brock.
You mean Slam, and it must have required a lot of grinding to raise its level to 20.

You mean Slam, and it must have required a lot of grinding to raise its level to 20.

Yeah Slam lol and nah I don't remember it taking too long, maybe an hour tops? It's been quite a few years. I mean if you're solo running with Pikachu you're probably level 12-13 by the time you get to Brock, so I would just branch back down into route 2 and grind there.

Hence “still”

I know it’s about “staying true to the originals” (except wherever they don’t feel like it, such as the new rival). It just amuses me that they clearly want to give the player a tutorial on type advantages but don’t take advantage of the obvious opportunity to make the player try them out in a couple of test-run battles. And there is an additional irony, in that there has been a large outcry from the online fandom to cut down on the forced tutorials, which they are technically doing by not imposing those battles on you... but at the same time, the fact that you can skip them entirely and are already forced to have an advantage against the Gym Leader makes the game even easier, which plays into another thing that people have been complaining about.

I have a feeling that you're not actually forced to use a specific type of Pokémon to battle Brock. Considering we have access to our PC from the bag, and that you can have non Grass and Water type Pokémon, I doubt the game is going to prevent you from switching to a non grass/water type Pokémon in battle, or even deposit that Pokémon back into the box after you've shown the assistant. He did say "we have you use a grass or water type Pokémon" but as we haven't actually seen us being forced to use it against Brock, I think we can atleast remain hopeful that we aren't actually forced, and the rule is there simply to assist new trainers.

I have a feeling that you're not actually forced to use a specific type of Pokémon to battle Brock. Considering we have access to our PC from the bag, and that you can have non Grass and Water type Pokémon, I doubt the game is going to prevent you from switching to a non grass/water type Pokémon in battle, or even deposit that Pokémon back into the box after you've shown the assistant. He did say "we have you use a grass or water type Pokémon" but as we haven't actually seen us being forced to use it against Brock, I think we can atleast remain hopeful that we aren't actually forced, and the rule is there simply to assist new trainers.

I’m already assuming that we’re not forced to use one, but again, that’s beside the point.

I’m already assuming that we’re not forced to use one, but again, that’s beside the point.

Not necessarily. It seems most people here are upset about the fact the we are forced to use a grass or water Pokémon, so if we're not actually forced, than I'd say that is pretty close to the point. It also means there isn't really anything to be upset about. If all you have to do is show them a grass or water type Pokémon, and then quickly box it afterwards if you choose, then I don't see how that is a big enough deal to be angry over. If we are actually forced to use a grass or water Pokémon and the game prevents us from taking it off the team, then I can understand the annoyance some people will feel.

I can see both sides of the argument of this one honestly. Type machups aren't as easy as a lot of us hardcore fans tend to think and haveing to show Clyde an grass or water Pokemon and then not being bound to useing it is not a big deal for people who want to use a spacifis team.

That being said it does feel like it's a for gone call conclusion that any new trainer who enters that gym is going to win. And honestly I have to wonder how Brock has won any matches when he shows everyone who enters the gym how to beat him. I guess the lore bugs me more then the technicals of the game.

The thing I worry about is what it means for other gyms. What if other gyms pull something similar.

Say brocks gym was later and they forced you to have a grass or water type. And say you have your team completely caught but now you’re in the gym, and because they want to make it more challenging they lock you from accessing the pc box, so now a Pokémon you want to be strong for the e4, is stuck in the box, missing out on exp and falling behind the rest of the team.

If it’s only Brock and you can access the pc then fine. It’s no big deal since you have to catch Pokémon for exp. but if this is something more than just his gym, and similar stuff happens at other gyms that hinders your final teams progress, then that’s irritating as can be.

Putting in my two cents about the forced Water/Grass type in Pewter Gym:

As a kid, I did not pay attention to weaknesses at all. In fact, I blazed through the game, ignoring all NPCs and dialogue, using only the Pokemon I liked. I imagine there would be young kids and, heck, maybe some adults who will not just read "hey, get a grass or water type or you'll have a bad time" because they just want to get into the gameplay. If it weren't for the anime, I wouldn't know about weaknesses, or at least who was weak to what. I personally think it's a good idea for newer players to be stopped and learn about these things, even once, rather than having easily skippable dialogue as though that is law.

Not necessarily. It seems most people here are upset about the fact the we are forced to use a grass or water Pokémon, so if we're not actually forced, than I'd say that is pretty close to the point. It also means there isn't really anything to be upset about. If all you have to do is show them a grass or water type Pokémon, and then quickly box it afterwards if you choose, then I don't see how that is a big enough deal to be angry over. If we are actually forced to use a grass or water Pokémon and the game prevents us from taking it off the team, then I can understand the annoyance some people will feel.

No... we aren't forced too use one (As far as we know). But still... they say we need to show one because they are SE. Casuals and first time players don't know about Type Match-ups, so they are gonna use a Grass or Water type in the match, meaning Double Kick on Pikachu is pointless, since there isn't mentioned that Fighting types are SE.

And if they teach you about type matchups for Grass and Water, who says they don't do the same in all gyms and force you too show a SE mon in order too enter.

I think we’ve seen enough of LGPE to know that the words LGPE and 'challenging' will never go together.

If the future gyms have restrictions, they’re going to be for the player's advantage and not to provide a challenge.
Well for Brock, his Gym specifically asks for type advantage against him. Who knows, maybe there'll be a gym that ask for disadvantage, or you need a pokemon of the same type as the gym.

Not really. They showed bug catcher Rick on e3 with just one lvl 3 Caterpie, while in FRLG, he had one Caterpie and one Weedle, both at lvl 6.

It’s clear that their intention is to make LGPE a cakewalk.

That is still a demo, though. The main purpose is to let the participants have a general idea of how the game is by removing time-draining obstacles, especially if they have a limited amount of time per play. There were some people who had only 30 minutes each to explore as much as they could of some past demos, iirc, and a more “realistic” level curve would have been detrimental time-wise.

Besides, that’s not the first time that you either have an overleveled team or your opponents have underleveled ones. Just look at the SM demo where you can breeze through it with Greninja and Pikachu.

That is still a demo, though. The main purpose is to let the participants have a general idea of how the game is by removing time-draining obstacles, especially if they are limited to a time per play. There were some people who had only 30 minutes each to explore as much as they could of some past games, iirc, and a more “realistic” level curve would have been detrimental time-wise.
The reveal trailer had underpowered trainers too. Bug catcher Cale on the nugget bridge had a lvl 10 Caterpie, Weedle, Metapod and Kakuna in FRLG, while in LGPE he has just one lvl 9 Venonat.

The point still stands. The chances that they’re adding anything remotely challenging to LGPE are slim to none.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom