• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers Official Let's Go Pikachu/Let's Go Eevee Discussion Thread

Simple question, simple answer: because it also gives you an incentive to expand your squad and to “catch ‘em all”. Isn’t that one of the objectives of the games, to get as many Pokémon as you can?

Didn’t they drop it as the series motto?

And if they really wanted to provide such incentives then why didn’t such rules appear in previous games?

And if they really wanted to provide such incentives then why didn’t such rules appear in previous games?

They was some incentive, though. Like in Black/White, where you are challenged to catch Pokémon by your friends (which I wish it was rewarding in some way, tbh). Also, now you are forced to catch the mascot Legendaries as well to proceed with the plot in the latest games, while before they were optizonal thingies (and even that is debatable).

This case isn’t much different. If all, it’s a bit more flexible, as you aren’t limited to one specific species.

Besides, there are also the Oval Charm and the Shiny Charm as an incentive to catch all Pokémon.

They dropped it as the series motto circa Gen III because, due to the lack of backwards compatibility, it was physically impossible to catch 'em all in Ruby and Sapphire (keep in mind that this happened before FRLG, Emerald, and Colo/XD were released.)

They did though...Sun and Moon have side quests where NPCs ask you to catch certain Pokemon. You're rewarded with Money. It's not forced but catching is highly insetavised and Poke Pelago also insetavises catching more Pokemon for those benifits.

Simple question, simple answer: because it also gives you an incentive to expand your squad and to “catch ‘em all”. Isn’t that one of the objectives of the games, to get as many Pokémon as you can?

wasnt the only the motto of the dub which they then killed off around gen 3?

They did though...Sun and Moon have side quests where NPCs ask you to catch certain Pokemon. You're rewarded with Money. It's not forced but catching is highly insetavised and Poke Pelago also insetavises catching more Pokemon for those benifits.

and then there's no quest log to remember you got that "side quest" meaning it doesn't matter

wasnt the only the motto of the dub which they then killed off around gen 3

It’s not about the motto. It’s about the fact that the games have also been about collecting all kinds of critters since the very first generation. Heck, even Prof. Oak mentions that by saying to complete the Pokédex at the very beginning of the original games.

Slogan or not, catching Pokemon is definitely a goal, and encouraged in most games. That said though, it's very much optional, and players are free play how they want. Another reason why this Gym thing is so frustrating is that they're giving you another hoop to jump through and actively pushing you to play a certain way, when it's really not necessary.

Goodluck to all the nuzlock challengers this game surely kills the tradional nuzlock...

The Grass/Water thing isn’t really a dealbreaker, but I personally don’t want to be forced to use a particular Pokémon to get though a particular thing (I also usually don’t care much about in-game trades and 'Bring me a particular Pokémon' quests unless it’s a Pokémon I happen to already have).

But combined with my other complaints with this game it does count negatively.
At this point the only things I like about these games are the aesthetics, overworld and the fact that it’s Pokemon. And these 3 alone do not justify a $360 purchase, atleast for me.

The news is just like applying salt on a wound.

Goodluck to all the nuzlock challengers this game surely kills the tradional nuzlock...

It’s easy enough to invent a clause for it, although I don’t know who would even bother Nuzlocking a game that’s not even remotely attempting to foster any kind of challenge.

We don’t know that for sure though. It’s not like the gameplay showed us other gym leaders.

No, but they did specify that brock likes to utilise this rule for beginner trainers. I'd consider that clear enough. I highly doubt every gym leader is going to consider you a beginner, and then make you show some guy in their gym a super effective Pokémon before you continue. The rule is there to teach new players to the Pokémon franchise.

If they really removed hold items and abilities just so that this would feel exactly like yellow (alittle to literally) I wouldn't put it past them to remove dark steel and fairy :\

Just Dark. Steel and Fairy are in GO

Dark type moves will also still be there

Just Dark. Steel and Fairy are in GO

Dark type moves will also still be there

Dark types would still be in, at least due to Alolan Meowth, Grimer, Rattata, and their evolutions.

Dark types would still be in, at least due to Alolan Meowth, Grimer, Rattata, and their evolutions.

True, though aren't they only available from GO? that means for a lot of people they just aren't accessible lol

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom