• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers Official Let's Go Pikachu/Let's Go Eevee Discussion Thread

It's a yellow remake, a game set in kanto where other gen pokemon didn't exist and your starter couldn't evolve.
FRLG was also a remake of Kanto, yet it included Pokemon from other regions. And in Yellow, your starter could only be Pikachu, not Eevee, so LGPE already isn't being 100% faithful to the original-why not go a step further and let people evolve Eevee, the main appeal of owning one?
This was practically expected when rumors first showed up.
Nobody's saying that they don't believe it's happening, just that they're not happy with the result.
Also Gen 4 brought back following pokemon, then planned to comeback during gen 6, and now it's coming back for real in this game, and potentially in gen 8. Heck remember when they said they wanted to take out customization because it was supposed to be gen 6 only till we changed they're mind? They do listen.
At what point did I say Game Freak doesn't listen?

Last edited:
I really don’t see why the lack of cross-gen Pokémon during the main game is such a big surprise since it happened in the past already. This is pretty much what happens with every single remake:

- In FRLG, you can’t evolve your Golbat or Chansey until you beat the League and get the National Dex, for example. Can’t also get Espeon and Umbreon due to lacking an internal clock.

- In HGSS, you need to obtain things like Rock Climb and the Hoenn and Sinnoh Sounds to be able to find Hoenn and Sinnoh Pokémon.

- In ORAS, you can get a few post-Gen 3 after beating/catching the Primal of the game, so even in that case it’s pretty late game.

As such, I could see them pulling the same stunt with these games.

Just to offer a different perspective, what you’ve described here could instead be said to illustrate an increasingly more liberal attitude toward allowing more recent Pokémon into the main story section of remakes (absolutely none were allowed in FRLG, then HGSS permitted the ones that evolve via moves, and then ORAS included all of the relevant cross-gen evolutions and opened the floodgates on a whole host of National Dex Pokémon even before you had to earn your eighth badge), which they have now taken a hard turn away from in favor of the strict gatekeeping that they originally imposed in FRLG. From that angle, it’s easier to see why people might be upset: It seemed like Game Freak were making gradual progress in an area that helps remakes feel more varied and gives the players more options, only for them to suddenly go back to putting a complete ban on anything that wasn’t in the originals.

Don't they remove content like all the time. And I swear simplification isn't a sin. People like little teenagers that get angered when people tell them stuff they know.

Yes it is, or at least the way Game Freak is implementing it. When you constantly remove mechanics people like and shove accessibility down people's throats then the gameplay becomes boring to more hardcore players that are looking for something deeper and more challenging. That's the reason these games are divisive, forcing the simplicity is not the way to solve the problem and get both sides to sit down and play the game together. Until Game Freak realizes this and starts making the gameplay more flexible to accommodate for a variety of different skill levels and gameplay preferences they're going to see a lot of push back from hardcore fans that are unhappy with the casual focused direction Game Freak has taken in recent games.

Yes it is, or at least the way Game Freak is implementing it. When you constantly remove mechanics people like and shove accessibility down people's throats then the gameplay becomes boring to more hardcore players that are looking for something deeper and more challenging. That's the reason these games are divisive, forcing the simplicity is not the way to solve the problem and get both sides to sit down and play the game together. Until Game Freak realizes this and starts making the gameplay more flexible to accommodate for a variety of different skill levels and gameplay preferences they're going to see a lot of push back from hardcore fans that are unhappy with the casual focused direction Game Freak has taken in recent games.
What skill level even? Even back when the games were harder it was mostly hit stuff till it dies.

I really do wish people would stop using gatekeeper terms like casual. It doesn't really mean anything anymore. Gamers as a whole can't really be easily classified as hardcore or casual anymore anyways and even if it could trying to exclude a group or make them seem less important then another group when considering what features should or should not be in the game feels icky to me.

For example, I play Dark Souls and could call everyone who doesn't like/ hasn't beaten at least one dark souls game a casual gamer if I wanted but it would be really mean and it would ignore different tastes.

Heck even back when I was playing Pokemon back in the early 2000's Pokemon was considered a casual kiddy RPG and Final Fantasy was a real RPG and then despite all that Pokemon flourished whereas final fantasy started to struggle and had been until just recently with 15. Pokemon's trying to adapt and it might fail and if it fails then it fails and the sales will be low or the reviews will be bad and we'll all know. But using statements like 'casuals' or 'dumbed down' won't explain why Pokemon let's go failed if it even does fail.

What skill level even? Even back when the games were harder it was mostly hit stuff till it dies.

That's beside the point. Point is that now there is a large variety of gameplay preferences and skill levels, so if they really want these games to appeal to everyone they have to accommodate them all.

Dunno why everyone is so worried about the LG franchise when we all know next year's game is aimed more at seasoned players.

Dunno why everyone is so worried about the LG franchise when we all know next year's game is aimed more at seasoned players.
1. It effectively ruins any hope of the next generation pushing the envelope, seeing as the bar set by recent games is low.

2. There will be more Let's Go entries in all likelihood. Traditional remakes may be dead.

I am not worried myself, but I think that my interest in new games will be very limited from now on.

1. It effectively ruins any hope of the next generation pushing the envelope, seeing as the bar set by recent games is low.

2. There will be more Let's Go entries in all likelihood. Traditional remakes may be dead.

I am not worried myself, but I think that my interest in new games will be very limited from now on.
/rolls eyes/

Because it even further casualizes a series that was already extremely casual and it takes away resources that could've been used to make the 8th gen games better when the shift to console is going to demand more of them. It just feels like a waste and probably isn't going to grow the fanbase the way they want it to.

Speaking of low bars, it occurs to me now that Saffron City is totally just going to be a 1:1 scale HD port of the same old “mostly fake houses” layout from RBY/FRLG, isn’t it?

Felt like rewatching the trailer for some reason...
What is the Magikarp falling on Earth supposed to represent?
F15C0116-AE62-4C72-AAC5-65E65D966C2A.jpeg

Well, guess what? I've received a survey from Nintendo about the Let’s Go games! :D

There are a few things that stood out to me about it:

• At the very beginning of the survey, they asked me if there were some children between 8 and 15 years old, as Game Freak is interested in the opinions of this age range. Could it imply that the games are made with that target in mind, aka brand new players?

"Imagine if Pokémon was reinvented today: how it would look like? The new games Pokémon: Let’s Go, Pikachu! and Pokémon: Let’s Go, Eevee! for Nintendo Switch offer everything that an adventure requires, with a completely new style!

Regardless from how you have played Pokémon in the past, Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! and Pokémon: Let's Go, Eevee! offer a whole new way to play a Pokémon adventure!"

The usage of the word “reinvented” intrigued me. It makes me wonder if Let’s Go could end up being a new RPG series with unique mechanisms that will go in tandem with the main series. Kinda like how the Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi series are so different from each other despite both featuring Mario characters and having turn-based battle systems.

Different styles, different crowds, and I would be all for different kinds of experiences. :)

"With a colorful graphic in HD, the Kanto region from Pokémon Yellow has a more vivid look and it feels almost as alive as in the anime. Bond with your Pikachu and Eevee, and your friendship would have never been so strong. Your starter Pokémon will sit on your shoulder during all the game and you can take care of it, play with it or even change its look and the clothes it is wearing!

If you had fun with Pokémon GO, you will enjoy following the full story, catch all Pokémon and become the best Trainer in the world. You can even transfer Pokémon that you have caught in Pokémon GO!"

So, these games seem to take some inspiration from both the anime (with the whole "starter following you always" thing) and Pokémon GO, with these games being tailored toward people who enjoyed Pokémon GO. Nothing too surprising about the latter, but I've noticed that the anime has been referenced in a later part of the survey: "Meet known friends and rivals: meet characters from the original anime, like Team Rocket and Professor Oak".

Foreshadowing for Jessie and James appearing in Let's Go? Will we get many anime references in the games?

• Some details about the Pokéball Plus: it can be used to get some bonuses for your Pokémon, to get and catch Pokémon in Pokémon GO/Let's Go and can be used as a controller for Pokémon Let's Go. Not sure what the bonuses will be, but maybe we will get something in a way similar to the Pokéwalker and stuff.

I was also asked to give my opinion about what I like and didn't like about what I've seen so far, and I've mentioned the whole catching system. Not sure how helpful my feedback will be, but who knows?

It's too late for the feedback to affect these games. The next Let's Go entries, on the other hand...

With a colorful graphic in HD, the Kanto region from Pokémon Yellow has a more vivid look and it feels almost as alive as in the anime.
Nah. You only need to see the interactions in the demo (especially with Slowpoke) to realize what an exaggeration that is. Overworld Pokemon are cool and all, but I wouldn't call the world realistic.

Last edited:
> "almost as alive as in the anime."

HA.

Not when you've still got stuff like...Pallet Town being two houses.

They haven't done much to inspire confidence in those statements.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom