• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers Official Let's Go Pikachu/Let's Go Eevee Discussion Thread

On the plus side, I like Cinnabar volcano's inclusion. It's a nice reference to Gen 2.

The thing that bothers me about that though is that it's on a different part of the island than it was in GSCHGSS. In those games, it was on the northeastern corner of the island, around where the gym is. Here it's on the far west side of the island away from everything else. Almost makes it hard to believe it could destroy the entire island being that far away.

I like the idea of incorporating the volcano more into the town's design, but something more like Boyleland from Shadows of Almia where the town is built into the side of the volcano, not something where it's randomly shoved off to the side.

For what it’s worth, I’m not so sure that Cycling Road is actually a sea-level path now. The new map has an overhead perspective that might be obscuring the angle of the bridge - if you look closely, the edge of the ground that Celadon and Route 16 are on looks steeper than the ground of Route 6, Vermilion, Route 11, and Route 18.
What about the rocks surrounding it? Why do they even exist?

What *I* wonder is whose idea it was to put Vermilion’s port on the city’s southern border rather than its western border. It looks, especially on the new map, very cramped in the south.
It looks fine on the older maps, so it's yet another problem with the new one. I like how the maps from the first two generations prove that Kanto and Johto weren't supposed to be grid-based.

The rocks surrounding it are borders. As with every game, they put rocks around the town so that you can't surf on open water into unknown territory.

What about the rocks surrounding it? Why do they even exist?

Well look I wasn’t trying to mount a full-scale defense for the map. :p I guess if I had to explain the rocks, I might say that’s just one of those cases where we could be meant to assume that the Kanto region is a lot bigger than what’s presented in the games, and so in “reality,” the rocks would be more sparse.

Even if you got rid of the ones surrounding Walking Road, any ships would still have the ones south of Pallet Town to contend with.

It looks fine on the older maps, so it's yet another problem with the new one. I like how the maps from the first two generations prove that Kanto and Johto weren't supposed to be grid-based.

I would agree with this if the S.S. Anne weren’t always portrayed as being docked in Vermilion while facing westward. It seems like it would be a lot of trouble to rotate the ship around and then back it up into the dock just to put it in the right position to leave, when it could instead just graze the western border of the town by following a horizontal U-shape path.

If you look at the early maps and the anime-based one, the path from the port to Cycling Road is very straight.

I’m not saying it isn’t, just that there doesn’t seem to be an abundance of room for the S.S. Anne to make the kind of maneuver that it would have to in order to dock in the harbor in such a way that it ends up facing westward. I would think it would be easier to simply approach from the northwest portion of the sea, then curve downward and dock alongside the western coast so that the ship is parallel to the lines of latitude, and then depart in a southwest direction, essentially in the opposite direction of how it arrived.

But hey, Pokémon already routinely stretches my suspension of belief as far as conceivably possible. S’no big deal. (y)

Well, even the anime-based map isn't drawn to scale (the ship is huge compared to the city), so I don't think that room is a problem.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this detail in this thread, but there are some initial estimated calculations of starter Pikachu’s stats:

HP: 45-50
Attack: 85-90
Defense: 50
Special Attack: 85
Special Defense: 65
Speed: 125

If this is the case, Pikachu got a real nice boost in its offensive stats, and with an upgraded movepool it can actually be a very useful Pokémon throughout most, if not all, the game (unlike Yellow Pikachu). Imagine if this thing could also get Light Ball later on during the game!

Regarding Eevee, there are still no approximate stats, but it surely will get similar boosts as well.

It's the young generation I'm worried about. They will never know what it truly means to bond with an unevolved Pokemon.

Then again, I also started playing “back in the day,” but I hated not being able to evolve that Pikachu, and to this day I am still impatient to get everyone on my team fully evolved. So if there was something to be learned there, *I* clearly didn’t pick up on it. :p

Then again, I also started playing “back in the day,” but I hated not being able to evolve that Pikachu, and to this day I am still impatient to get everyone on my team fully evolved. So if there was something to be learned there, *I* clearly didn’t pick up on it. :p
You have my sympathies.

It’s funny. Lately I’ve been wondering why playing the games hasn’t been quite as fun as when I was a kid. On a whim, I played through Pokémon Sun with a team of Bulbasaur, Totodile, and Houndour. Of the three, I only ever evolved Totodile. And I didn’t get Feraligatr until level 50.

Obviously, a fully evolved team is statistically superior, but I have to say, going through my journey with some NFE’s was a much, much more fun experience than I have had with the games in ages.

Idk, I think there’s something to be said about not evolving your Pokémon. It makes you feel like more of an underdog, which is always fun.

I'd keep a Pokemon unevolved Only if I don’t like it’s final form at all. Very few have actually managed to do that (I prefer Wartortle, Ivysaur and Dragonair to their evolved counterparts though).
I'm definitely not keeping an unevolved Pikachu since Raichu is my favourite Pokemon.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom