• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers Official Let's Go Pikachu/Let's Go Eevee Discussion Thread

A reminder that Masuda was referring to enjoyability rather than difficulty.

And what makes you so sure of that? If Masuda's decisions really are that controversial within Game Freak's staff they're not going to trust him to lead the company.
If it were that controversial, Masuda wouldn't be talking about it so casually.

Masuda said:
There was considerable debate within the team concerning the absence of wild Pokemon battles. Up until this point I had been steadfast in defending the mechanic as the series director; this time, though, I felt like we should try to change things up a bit. Personally, I’ve always felt that the weakening and capturing mechanic is a bit like fishing – there are people that aren’t fans of that kind of strategy, though. To that end – as I mentioned before – I wanted to make these games more enjoyable for a wider audience of fans. As such, we simplified the mechanics.
It seems that this wasn't even the first time the idea had come up. At first Masuda was against any change, and the minute he changed his tune the decision was made. Because the company is full of sheep.

Last edited:
Just my opinion here...

At first, I thought these games were problematic to the franchise - they simply were designed to pander to Pokemon GO fans, and were heavily restricted in the same old region, Pokemon appearing, and other things. The divisiveness that it has done to the Pokemon fanbase is also disturbing, too...

But as time went on, I have changed my view about LGPE. Success or failure, I now think they may improve the health of the franchise as a whole.

I dub them "Testbed Games": They are designed to bend the game mechanics a lot to try to improve the games as 'games' to many people. There are tons of risks to doing that in a brand new main series title, so they are playing safe by enforcing these mechanics on a remake of the iconic Gen I series.

Lately, I have lost interest in the main series, and I have not played a main series title for several months. The gameplay is now just too stale to me: While the graphics have improved, the new designs are extraordinary, and the music is lovely, the gameplay itself feels no different than the games of old: The Gen I dynamics of running around, catching pokemon, the Exp. system, leveling pace, turn-based battling system, and other things have not changed much at their core in over 22 years. In Pokemon Moon, I felt like I was playing the same game as all the older ones, albeit with beautiful tropical cosmetics.

Features come and go in Pokemon games, and so much baggage has built up from past games that have been hard to clean up - and also adds to the 'sameness' the newer games have with the old. Evolving pokemon of older generations is the same, the attacks of old seem the same usually, and the sake of importing old Pokemon to new games can discourage the removal of this baggage - as if to many hardcore pokefans, every good mechanic from the older games must be in the newer ones, or it is just a 'regression'.

The LGPE games look like a chance for Game Freak to start from a clean slate - To step back from the baggage for a moment, and experiment with how to improve and freshen up the stale game mechanics. This shows that they are concerned about how 'fun' it is to play the main series, and are figuring out ways to revise traditional rules. Like, was catching Pokemon 'fun' in the first place? Do new games have to have all the older mechanics? Must wild pokemon always be hidden from view?

This is quite the rattling experiment they have created with these games, and one that I feel is really needed - even if it panders to GO players. Experiments can fail or succeed, but if they learn something about them, it will help them understand what makes the Pokemon series "fun", and find ways to freshen up future game so that both the casuals and hardcore players can feel more satisfied with the actual gameplay.

That was never said at all, though. The Japanese site only mentioned that the gender difference is exclusive to the starter Eevee.
They do also specified that all other, non-starter female Eevee will have same tail design as males.

And what makes you so sure of that? If Masuda's decisions really are that controversial within Game Freak's staff they're not going to trust him to lead the company.

“Masuda’s decisions” are making Game Freak filthy rich. It was his pet project that got the public’s awareness of Pokémon closer to Pokémania levels than anything they’ve done in the last 20 years, and much as some people on here may not like it, LGPE are going to be a success.

You’re reading too much of what you want to hear into the “controversial” descriptor. I guarantee you that all it really means is they had a lot of professional back-and-forth about whether or not they could make the game work and succeed without wild battles, and Masuda himself said that even he’d usually been reluctant to go that far. But clearly, they eventually came to a point where they agreed it was a risk worth taking.

And call me cynical, but I really don’t think any significant number of Game Freak employees are so profoundly passionate about wild Pokémon battles that they would piss away their position at the game studio responsible for one of the most iconic and profitable franchises on the planet in protest. Even if there were, would Game Freak really have all that much trouble finding people who would be eager to fill those positions?

And call me cynical, but I really don’t think any significant number of Game Freak employees are so profoundly passionate about wild Pokémon battles that they would piss away their position at the game studio responsible for one of the most iconic and profitable franchises on the planet in protest. Even if there were, would Game Freak really have all that much trouble finding people who would be eager to fill those positions?
They'll stage a coup at Carrot Tower and hold the Pikachu and Eevee mascots hostage.

In all seriousness, only the board members (Tajiri is the chairman) can make a difference and they wouldn't have approved of the LGPE changes if they didn't believe they had a good chance. Hell, Masuda's bug catching analogy may be how he convinced Tajiri, or it's really Tajiri's analogy.

Of all things to complain about, the catching system really has to be at the bottom of the list for me.

Last edited:
Of all things to complain about, the catching system really has to be at the bottom of the list for me.
Agreed. I honestly like the new catching mechanic. we don't need to worry about accidently knocking the Pokemon out. I did play Pokemon Go, but lost interest after like a week. Seems to me, they are making Pokemon Go, but in the form of a Main Series Pokemon Game.

Honestly, my gripe with the new catching mechanic, is that it doesn't make sense from an in-universe angle. How come your party member Pokémon get BATTLE EXPERIENCE from watching you, the human player, throw Pokeballs at wild Pokémon?

The way it used to be, a Pokémon of your party participates in the catching process (i.e. weakens the wild mon by using moves) and so it makes sense that your Pokémon gains experience in the process.

Last edited:
Honestly, my gripe with the new catching mechanic, is that it doesn't make sense from an in-universe angle. How come your party member Pokémon get BATTLE EXPERIENCE from watching you, the human player, throwing Pokeballs at wild Pokémon?

The way it used to be, a Pokémon of your party participates in the catching process (i.e. weakens the wild mon by using moves) and so it makes sense that your Pokémon gains experience in the process.
I mean, the same logic could be applied to the Exp. Share. Since the beginning but especially circa Gen VI.

Yes, but that's not the same situation. With the Exp. Share at least you have a Pokémon battling and using Pokemon attacks, from which the other 5 non-battling party members can learn how to do the same.

What do they learn in LGPE? How to throw Pokeballs?

Honestly, my gripe with the new catching mechanic, is that it doesn't make sense from an in-universe angle. How come your party member Pokémon get BATTLE EXPERIENCE from watching you, the human player, throwing Pokeballs at wild Pokémon?

I see what you’re getting at here, and it isn’t a bad point, although it seems worth noting that receiving experience from catching Pokémon has only been a thing for two out of seven generations, so calling that “the way it used to be,” while technically accurate, feels a bit weird. :p

(Truth be told, while from a gameplay perspective I do appreciate the convenience of receiving experience from catching Pokémon, I personally preferred it the old way, where you had to make a choice between either catching the Pokémon or knocking it out for experience.)

The weirder part is that wild Pokemon should use attacks to defend themselves (or test the trainer, if you prefer that), but instead they just dodge. I guess that the Sinnoh myth has finally been realized:

Long ago, when Sinnoh had just been made, Pokémon and humans led separate lives.
That is not to say they did not help each other. No, indeed they did.
They supplied each other with goods, and supported each other.
A Pokémon proposed to the others to always be ready to help humans.
It asked that Pokémon be ready to appear before humans always.
Thus, to this day, Pokémon appear to us if we venture into tall grass.

it seems worth noting that receiving experience from catching Pokémon has only been a thing for two out of seven generations, so calling that “the way it used to be,” while technically accurate, feels a bit weird. :p
True xD

I should have said "the way it has been in the last two gens". ;)

I would have liked it if catching a Pokémon by befriending it was a thing. Remember these wild Pokémon you can make happy in USUM? I would have liked it if they could join our party.

Also, let's be realistic, the games will sell well because they are Pokémon, and Masuda will feel vindicated. Sinnoh remakes Will be super easy. The region will get a trim. Maybe the hard caves will be skipped by teleporting and the Distortion World will be like Ultra Metropolis, that's if it appears at all.

I don’t think we need to worry about them effecting the new games too much. Sure the games will be popular with younger kids and some GO players that have switches, but they won’t go over well with the majority of fans if they influence too much. That in the long run would cost gamefreak.

I think people aren’t giving game developers enough credit. Trying new things is a large part of games and it’s up to the fans to make it known how they feel about them and whatnot. Fans also need to stick with them because chances are they will listen. GF is trying, and while their attempts aren’t fully what we want, they are making slow progress in certain areas.

As an example of a game series that screwed up and fixed itself: the Inazuma Eleven series. The games added a new element each game that improved gameplay and made the experience. Until the fourth games. Those added an OP feature that was limited to a few select characters on your team. Next game they added another feature that mixed with it, and expanded availability. However thanks to story limitations and stuff it’s still annoying as can be. Sixth game was yet another limited new feature, giving the others the mega evolution treatment.

However with their new game on the switch, they have thankfully erased the annoying features from games 4-6, instead opting to return to simpler features with the new gimmick also being simpler and more balanced.

Which shows the company paid attention and fixed what they did wrong. And now fans of the series have a new game to look forward with great new characters and lovable old ones and a style that is simple and enjoyable, and won’t make people want to throw their systems.

So point in all is I think that at this point, it isn’t worth worrying about LGPE and what it will do. If gamefreak really cares about their fans then they’ll listen and the games may temporarily become less fun or appealing, but then they’ll come back with a bang that looks amazing, and makes you excited for the release. We should just try to enjoy what we can about LGPE or just dream about how amazing gen VIII can be.

I don’t think we need to worry about them effecting the new games too much. Sure the games will be popular with younger kids and some GO players that have switches, but they won’t go over well with the majority of fans if they influence too much. That in the long run would cost gamefreak.

I think people aren’t giving game developers enough credit. Trying new things is a large part of games and it’s up to the fans to make it known how they feel about them and whatnot. Fans also need to stick with them because chances are they will listen. GF is trying, and while their attempts aren’t fully what we want, they are making slow progress in certain areas.

As an example of a game series that screwed up and fixed itself: the Inazuma Eleven series. The games added a new element each game that improved gameplay and made the experience. Until the fourth games. Those added an OP feature that was limited to a few select characters on your team. Next game they added another feature that mixed with it, and expanded availability. However thanks to story limitations and stuff it’s still annoying as can be. Sixth game was yet another limited new feature, giving the others the mega evolution treatment.

However with their new game on the switch, they have thankfully erased the annoying features from games 4-6, instead opting to return to simpler features with the new gimmick also being simpler and more balanced.

Which shows the company paid attention and fixed what they did wrong. And now fans of the series have a new game to look forward with great new characters and lovable old ones and a style that is simple and enjoyable, and won’t make people want to throw their systems.

So point in all is I think that at this point, it isn’t worth worrying about LGPE and what it will do. If gamefreak really cares about their fans then they’ll listen and the games may temporarily become less fun or appealing, but then they’ll come back with a bang that looks amazing, and makes you excited for the release. We should just try to enjoy what we can about LGPE or just dream about how amazing gen VIII can be.

Problem is that a lot of these complaints aren't new, fans have been complaining about the same things for the last 5+ years and they've yet to be addressed. In fact not only are they not, but Game Freak is relatively dismissive of them, waving them away with something like "oh, well we wanted to make the game accessible to kids/casuals/mobile gamers". The problem is that Game Freak is coming off like they aren't listening and don't care about their fans, they've been doing this for quite a while now and it's getting irritating.

I would have liked it if catching a Pokémon by befriending it was a thing. Remember these wild Pokémon you can make happy in USUM? I would have liked it if they could join our party.
I think that would have been too easy, but if you could interact with the wild Pokemon alongside Pikachu/Eevee and then play the Go minigame, that would be peachy.

Midorikawa said:
just dream about how amazing gen VIII can be.
I am not one to complain too much, but a cautious approach is best until Game Freak actually deliver amazing games. Before USUM, games would be overhyped without really deserving it.

Last edited:
I think that would have been too easy, but if you could interact with the wild Pokemon alongside Pikachu/Eevee and then play the Go minigame, that would be peachy.

Add a “no flee” feature for Pokémon befriended that way, and it would be the way to go. No more “freebies” like ORAS Lati@s, please.

Also, Masuda's decision is probably going to be popular among the casuals, and will earn them money.

I beg too differ. Like you already are saying: Casuals. Casuals are not gonna spent 300 for a console, 60 for a game (120 if you want too buy both) and 50 for the Pokeball Plus for only one franchise (Since they are casuals, its unlikey they buy more games/franchises)

GF isn't also looking at the future, since the LGPE mechanics not having Wild Battles might bring in the casuals, but the same casuals are likely gonna leave if Wild Battling is implemented in gen 8, which will mean that the LGPE games are ultimately pointless.

And since it seems the Not Wild Battle mechanic is not well received with the hardcore fanbase, GF has presented themselfs with a problem, since not implementing Wild Battles in the future, might turn off the hardcore fanbase and they will leave.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom