• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers Official Let's Go Pikachu/Let's Go Eevee Discussion Thread

So when some guys predict future Let's Go Emerald, and Let's Go Platinum games, they need to remember Yellow is not like Crystal, Platinum, Emerald, etc. It is a an Anime Special edition, that was created to ride on the Pikachu Mania of back then. And LGPE is created in a similar vein, to ride on the Go mania of today.
And if the Go mania persists as it has so far, there is no reason why there can't be more Let's Go entries even if they have little to do with the third versions of old (which weren't exactly best-sellers except for Yellow). Any Pokemon featured in Go are fair game as the target demographic are familiar with them.

LGPE need as much appeal as possible to convince people to buy a Switch. Later games won't need to rely on Kanto.

This thread is embarrasing.
Can you stop insulting "casual" players (what an awful term, by the way) just becase GF decided to pander them with Let's Go? How entitled most of you actually are?

Complain about the game, not the people they're targeting the game to. Are you even serious?

Can you stop insulting "casual" players (what an awful term, by the way) just becase GF decided to pander them with Let's Go?

What term would you recommend be used?

While we’re at it, the word “pander” has some pretty condescending connotations (I’d argue even moreso than “casual”), so I find it odd for you to take umbrage at the use of the word “casual” and then go on to continue speaking about such players as a specific, isolated group that Game Freak are “pandering” to.

And if the Go mania persists as it has so far, there is no reason why there can't be more Let's Go entries even if they have little to do with the third versions of old (which weren't exactly best-sellers except for Yellow). Any Pokemon featured in Go are fair game as the target demographic are familiar with them.

The other generation Pokemon will be known, but they’ll just end up being other, random Pokémon for these people as compared to the likes of Pikachu and Growlithe, whom they’ve known for years and grown to love.

There’s a reason that there are more Onix fans than Aron ones.
People are more inclined to spend $360 over creatures they actually have an emotional bond with.
The Generation 3 onwards Pokemon are just "This is cool" extras for them.

@Unown Seer no I agree with you, and I wouldn't mind it if LGPE became a series. LGPE is not exactly my cup of tea, but it's got some things I do like (namely how the wild mons are visible in the overworld. I think this is awesome and should replace random encounters in the main series).

That said though, the entire argument revolves around whether them adding newer generation mons to Pokémon Go would be enough for casual players to go and BUY a Switch game with those Pokémon. And I doubt it will.

I think Torchick or Treecko have enough appeal for casual fans that they would check them on a free app. But I doubt they would BUY an expensive game for them. Whereas I do see them buying such a game for Charizard and Pikachu. Which is why I don't doubt LGPE's success.

I think Torchick or Treecko have enough appeal for casual fans that they would check them on a free app. But I doubt they would BUY an expensive game for them. Whereas I do see them buying such a game for Charizard and Pikachu. Which is why I don't doubt LGPE's success.
This. So. Much.

What would even be the main differences between the possible LG series and the standard main games?
It would be a strange anti-consumer choice to not bring co-op over to the main series so that goes out of the window.
And if they want art style to be a distinguishing feature, I don’t think it’s going to work. Generation 8 is promised to be a graphical update, so if they return to the LGPE style after that, it’s going to look outdated. The 'casual' audience likes and buys the better looking things, and the Let's Go games would look outdated to them compared to the Generation 8 main games.

All that remains is the Go Catch style, the lack of abilities and the competitive bells and whistles and CP: other than the Go Catch style, the main series games can be played just fine if one wants to ignore abilities, items and EVs/IVs.

Do we need an entire sub-series for effectively just a new method of capturing Pokémon?

What term would you recommend be used?

While we’re at it, the word “pander” has some pretty condescending connotations (I’d argue even moreso than “casual”), so I find it odd for you to take umbrage at the use of the word “casual” and then go on to continue speaking about such players as a specific, isolated group that Game Freak are “pandering” to.

Good to hear you speak about condescension and proceed to talk like that.
I'm just replicating some people way of thinking in the last few pages, mind you. Didn't know "pander" has some 'condescending connotations' as I'm not a native English speaker/didn't actually know at all so thank you for shedding some light into that subject. Will take that into account in the future, really.

We can easily say "GO players" instead of "casuals" and "GO players demographic GF is aiming the game to" instead of "pandering".

For some reason some people here are acting like if GO players are stupid "who can't do anything for themselves" because uh....... yeah, LG are more simple games aimed at them. Better complain about the people that the game itself, right?

Last edited:
I personally don’t mean any negativity when saying ‘casual’. It’s a neutral term to me since not everyone’s passionate about Pokémon and it’s totally fine for it to be a pastime for people. They do not have to follow it extensively.

As for pandering I don’t think I’ve used that word much personally (maybe a few times because it’s shorter than ‘extensive Kanto promotion going on since forever at the expense of other regions’).

As long as people are not aggressive/demeaning about it I don’t see any issue with the term ‘casual’. However I’m not that comfortable with the use of ‘pander’ since it sounds quite negative to me (I’m not a native speaker either but the word gives a negative ‘feeling’ to me).

So as long as users are civil and not demeaning towards casual players I don’t feel the need to dictate what terms they use to refer to them.

It would be a strange anti-consumer choice to not bring co-op over to the main series so that goes out of the window.
Considering that their co-op relies on playing on a single system and the 2019 games are supposed to be for "personal" systems, you may want to rethink that. Likewise, if Game Freak want to keep following and overworld Pokemon hostage, they will. It's naive to think that they couldn't possibly do that.

And if they want art style to be a distinguishing feature, I don’t think it’s going to work. Generation 8 is promised to be a graphical update, so if they return to the LGPE style after that, it’s going to look outdated. The 'casual' audience likes and buys the better looking things, and the Let's Go games would look outdated to them compared to the Generation 8 main games.
So basically, LGPE used the chibi style just for the hell of it at the risk of alienating the target demographic. Got it.

All that remains is the Go Catch style, the lack of abilities and the competitive bells and whistles and CP: other than the Go Catch style, the main series games can be played just fine if one wants to ignore abilities, items and EVs/IVs.

Do we need an entire sub-series for effectively just a new method of capturing Pokémon?
Not having to worry about competitive aspects when battling with friends is a pretty big deal.

If LGPE are a big success, as in bigger or as big as the 2019 games, then either there will be a second series (as Masuda implied) or it will replace the main series to some extent. It's that simple.

Considering that their co-op relies on playing on a single system and the 2019 games are supposed to be for "personal" systems, you may want to rethink that. Likewise, if Game Freak want to keep following and overworld Pokemon hostage, they will. It's naive to think that they couldn't possibly do that.

It isn’t as if the Co-op is elaborate enough to sustain an entire subseries...

So basically, LGPE used the chibi style just for the hell of it at the risk of alienating the target demographic. Got it.
The current style looks good when it is compared to Sun/Moon on an inferior system. The same will not be true for Generation 8.

Not having to worry about competitive aspects when battling with friends is a pretty big deal.
You can just ignore the competitive aspects in the main series too...

A Let's Go Sinnoh/Hoenn/Unova/Kalos/Alola isn’t going to sell as much as LGPE for the simple reason that their Pokémon aren’t household names.

You're making a lot of umbrella claims about millions of people that you have a limited idea about.

PkmnTrainerV said:
It isn’t as if the Co-op is elaborate enough to sustain an entire subseries...
They could always expand it in future games. That doesn't mean they will port it to the handheld-oriented games.

The same will not be true for Generation 8.
I'll believe that when I see it. Anyway, they can make the two series visually distinct without either looking inferior to the other, if that's really needed.

You can just ignore the competitive aspects in the main series too...
You won't even get very far in the Battle Tower clone if you do that. And you definitely have no control over abilities, which obviously make a difference. Not to mention that your friend could EV train and breed for IVs, which would force you to do the same even if you didn't want to bother. And most importantly, you have a lot more Pokemon to worry about.

A Let's Go Sinnoh/Hoenn/Unova/Kalos/Alola isn’t going to sell as much as LGPE for the simple reason that their Pokémon aren’t household names.
By the same logic, they should use Kanto for every game out there. The only question is if Let's Go [ ] will sell better than a traditional remake.

Good to hear you speak about condescension and proceed to talk like that.

What was condescending about what I said? From where I’m at, I’d say that I asked a question, and then as an aside, commented on what I found to be a peculiar contradiction in your manner of discussing the issue (condemning the use of the word “casual” while still referring to those same players as a distinct group that would be “pandered” toward). I wasn’t trying to assert any sense of superiority over you or imply anything like that.

That’s how I would appraise the exchange, anyhow. If you perceived it differently, I’d like to know so that I can keep that perspective in mind.

I'm just replicating some people way of thinking in the last few pages, mind you. Didn't know "pander" has some 'condescending connotations' as I'm not a native English speaker/didn't actually know at all so thank you for shedding some light into that subject. Will take that into account in the future, really.

Just in the interests of clarity and detail, the word “pander” is typically infused with a sense of doing something to appeal to a specific group to an obnoxious extent, or doing it in such a way that is morally shallow, as a means of achieving a quick and easy payoff.

We can easily say "GO players" instead of "casuals" and "GO players demographic GF is aiming the game to" instead of "pandering".

We could, but there is a slight problem in that “GO players” doesn’t quite cover the same scope that the word “casual” does. There could be “casual” players who do not play GO; indeed, there could be “casual” players of virtually any video game, but there could not be “GO players” of virtually any video game. “Casual” describes an attitude about consuming media in general, whereas “GO players” describes a particular subset of Pokémon fans. Depending on the context of the conversation, the word “casual” (or some effective equivalent if that specific word is deemed too offensive) could very well be more useful.

For some reason some people here are acting like if GO players are stupid

Are they, though? Can you point to a post that has done this? Granted, I only looked through the past three pages to find an example, but I wasn’t able to identify any instance of somebody acting as though GO players were stupid. If anything, I think that I have seen far more ire directed at Game Freak for appealing strictly to those players while having seemingly little interest in making the games more palatable for the entrenched fans who would like for the games to provide a more rigorous experience.

Are they, though? Can you point to a post that has done this? Granted, I only looked through the past three pages to find an example, but I wasn’t able to identify any instance of somebody acting as though GO players were stupid. If anything, I think that I have seen far more ire directed at Game Freak for appealing strictly to those players while having seemingly little interest in making the games more palatable for the entrenched fans who would like for the games to provide a more rigorous experience.

Saying "I think Game Freak believes 'casual' (let's use this for now) players are stupid" is still as bad as directly saying so without using your point of view of GF's point of view (heh) as an umbrella. Did Masuda or any of GF said "GO players are stupid"? Or just because they made one game for everyone yet, indeed, more simple and appealing to a large group of GO players/non hardcore Pokémon players some people automatically think GF believes that group of people is stupid?

I'm not here to make everyone like LG because I'm not really interested in if people like it or not.
But I'm probably not going to keep quiet when I see people creating some sort of elitism aura around the Pokémon fandom for no reason at all other than "if GO players/non hardcore players can't adapt to the main series then screw LG games".

People who started playing Pokémon through GO can be a fan much like you and me. And if GF decided to create a game thinking more about them than about the people who have already played the main series is totally GF's fault.

Blame them, blame the game and don't buy it. But don't blame people interested in it or believe your own way of thinking is the rightful one because Internet is kinda small when it comes to the videogame market and there're a lot of people outside the Internet bubble that actually think Pokémon games are hard to get into.

Use of the word "casual"
So there's been some discussion about the use of the word "casual" in this thread that the staff wanted to clarify. While it's not always the case, we feel like that term usually carries a negative connotation to it much like "genwunner" does, and we would prefer if it wasn't used just to be on the safe side. It's one of those example terms in our baiting rule.

Thanks everyone :)

Wow I'm surprised no one has shared Pokeshoppers latest tweet. I would but I don't have Twitter and I can't do that from my phone without an account.

If there is one thing that I think would make LGPE worth it, it’s the co-op and the fact that I’d be able to play with my mom. She’s not dumb, but she would not be able to play the other games well enough because she’s not well and is easily confused. With LGPE I could enjoy Pokémon with her. Heck if my niece wasn’t so destructive and listened more then I could play it with her too.

I think the appealing point of LGPE is its simplicity.

If there is one thing that I think would make LGPE worth it, it’s the co-op and the fact that I’d be able to play with my mom. She’s not dumb, but she would not be able to play the other games well enough because she’s not well and is easily confused. With LGPE I could enjoy Pokémon with her. Heck if my niece wasn’t so destructive and listened more then I could play it with her too.

I think the appealing point of LGPE is its simplicity.
Except it is too simple. And it might alienate some players.

Except it is too simple. And it might alienate some players.

Their purpose is to attract more future players, without having hidden value that only competitive players care about. After having to deal with additions after additions with each new game, having something more basic and not as clunky and overcharged feels like a breath of fresh air.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom