• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers Official Let's Go Pikachu/Let's Go Eevee Discussion Thread

Reaction score
**If you're including information not officially released yet (datamined, etc.), please put it in spoiler tags. Thanks!**

To separate it from the Generation VIII Rumours/Leaks Thread, this will be the general discussion and speculation thread for the recently announced Pokémon: Let's Go Pikachu/Let's Go Eevee games for the Switch. Any leaks pertaining to these games in particular should be posted here. Please direct any speculation on the upcoming Generation VIII games to the appropriate thread.
We would prefer you not post links to 4chan so we're not sending users to sites that clash with our policies. Screenshots are okay, assuming the content aligns with our rules and standards. Please attach screenshots or add them as imgur links.

What we know so far:
  • Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu!, Pokémon: Let's Go, Eevee!, will be released for the Nintendo Switch on November 16th, 2018 worldwide.
  • These won't be Generation VIII, which will be released in 2019.
  • These games are a remake of Pokémon Yellow and will be set in Kanto.
  • Only the first 151 Pokémon and Alolan Forms will be available.
  • Your partner Pokémon is version exclusive: Pikachu will the starter in Let's Go Pikachu, Eevee in Let's Go Eevee.
  • Your partner Pikachu/Eevee is customizable. To what extent is currently unknown.
  • Your partner Pikachu/Eevee cannot evolve. They can still be found in the wild.
  • Following Pokémon has returned. Pikachu and Eevee can ride on your head/shoulders.
  • You can ride certain Pokémon, such as Onix.
  • Wild Pokémon will be in the overworld.
  • Capturing Pokémon will be similar to Pokémon GO. They cannot be battled, however.
  • These games feature a co-op mode in which another trainer can join you on your journey.
  • Stats have been simplified.
  • The games will come with the PokéballPlus, which enables you to take your Pokémon to and from Go.
  • Pokémon are transferable between Let's Go and Go via Go Park.
  • There will be a surprise Gen VIII Pokémon at the end of the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found out now about that. It seems howewer you’d have to spam-catching Pokémon if this is the only other way to train Pokémon other then trainer battles. Frankly, between the two, I’d prefer battling then just catching.

And agreed on your last sentence.
So basically like GO. This game just seems like GO at this point.

My thoughts: it’s Pokémon go in the style of the main games (adventure in a region as opposed to using google maps and walking around in real life.

I did play Pokémon go, but ditched it. I don’t like that you only catch Pokémon in the game. This new game will be fun, as it is an adventure. I started with gen 1, so going through 3D Kanto will be interesting. I’m getting Eevee, because then I can see it as you getting the Eevee that you would have gotten in yellow.

On another note: only having the OG 151 can also mean we only have acces to the gen 1 moves, which means Eevee moveset gets limited even more, since then it only can learn 8 moves (4 damaging) while leveling up and another problem they have is that they need to change the Fairy lines and Magnemite back to their OG typings.

EDIT: moved this post from Gen 8 Discussion thread

Let's see, we're about 12 hours post announcement, and now that the hype has died down a little bit more in me, I guess I'll share more thoughts.

I really do like how this game is a real way to help bridge the gap between Pokemon Go fans, and normal Pokemon fans. Yes, this game is still very similar to Pokemon Go, with Pokemon in the overworld, the fact that we only catch wild Pokemon, and its CPs apparently, not levels (which I did not notice yesterday). While I personally would rather have wild encounters that you fight, and have levels (as most people want), I can see why they did this. And, while we haven't seen much about these games yet, we o know that it does look like there are still battles, and likely gyms. It has features that make a core series game, a core series game. (yes, I am on the boat that this is some sort of spin-off game).

For those who have been still playing Pokemn Go, or at least keeping up with the news, would know that the games are putting out newer generations, they just leave a lot of time in between. Currently, Pokemon up through Gen 3 are catchable (and Alolan forms are in the process of being released for this summer I guess). If these fans haven't been playing the main games since Gen 1, or never played them at all, they have been meeting new Pokemon, and likely are enjoying having more Pokemon to catch (i mean they are still playing the game at least). So, they play Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee, and the have a fun time with the games, because they get to play Pokemon Go mechanics, but also might feel this sense of longing for newer Pokemon. This might give them the inspiration to go pick up a core series game and play it. And/or they here about how the Switch will be having a new Pokemon game next year, that is supposed to be much bigger. This game will bring people into the franchise in a new way.

I do think it's also important to note that these games at least look like they are running on a very similar engine as XY and ORAS were (the models look very similar for everyting), even though SM and USUM's engine looks way better. To me this puts up the "we did this so we could put less time into producing these games/cheaper to make games" flag. Meaning, more of their attention is going to the game coming out in 2019, and this is really just a game to make a little extra money for the company, and get some new fans.

All that being said, there are many changes they have made, that I don't want to see stay. I think I'm okay with using the joycons like that to catch a Pokemon, but I want to be able to battle these wild Pokemon too. Give me back that level system, and random encounters in the grass. But, the co-op honestly looks really cool. I can actually see this game being GFs way to test out this co-op mode, and e might actually be seeing one in the future game, which would be so cool.

Yes, I will buy at least one version of this game, and give it a run through. Will it be everything I ever wanted on a switch Pokemon game? No. But I know that GF has the awesome games coming next year. They are taking their time with those games, and i think they are going to be awesome. So for now, I'll take these cutesy, weird games over nothing at all until then.

So basically like GO. This game just seems like GO at this point.

I wouldn’t say it’s exactly like GO (there are still things I liked from the trailer), but the EXP thing is a bit worrying.

Both spam-catching and spam-battling for Exp can get boring, I’m not going to deny the previous system had that flaw. But I much prefer to battle then just catch.

GO has Oddishes with Moonblast. I don't think movesets will be limited to Gen 1 moves.

Honestly, I don’t hate this. It’s far - very far - from what I would have preferred (that being Kanto sequels with a totally reinvented Kanto region), but as a business decision, it seems like a smart move.

I know that I personally didn’t want to see any major new entry this year. I was hoping that anything like that would be put off until 2019. And... it turns out, that’s exactly what has happened, which makes me view these games as more of a pleasant bonus. I confess that I probably wouldn’t buy these myself if it weren’t for the co-op mode (my partner and I are going to love that), but while that’s the main thing keeping me attached to these games, there are other ideas that I like or think are at least interesting. I’m willing to give the new mechanics a shot - I think some of them could be good, some of them seem very conducive to the way I like to play. I love that you can ride around on your own Pokémon, and even fly on some of them; that looks really cool. I’m happy with the graphics, and the Poké Ball Plus looks fun. I’m getting more excited the more I think about these. They may not be what I had in mind, but I think I’ll have a good enough time with them.

Whether this will be Zeraora or a Gen VIII Pokémon is currently unknown.

I think we do know that it’s not Zeraora, at least. TPC tweeted last night that it is a brand-new Pokémon:

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/Pokemon/status/1001647708690526211

It's debatable if Zeraora is a seen pokemon.

And business wise it is debatable. They're trying to cater to GO fans, but if GO fans don't own a switch, then they probably won't want to dish out $360 for the console and game. Business wise it isn't the best game for getting people to buy switches.

These are the first spin-off titles (... are they spin-offs? I'm so anxious. They're 'core series' but also not; do these distinctions mean anything anymore?! We are through the looking glass now and cannot go back!) that I've ever been even somewhat interested in.

Previous spin-offs seemed to feature a completely original premise with a superficial Pokémon coat-of-paint... These not only retain the spirit of the core-series, but look like they branch off and do their own thing. Not the same as the appeal of the core series, but it's appealing in a different way.
... To be honest, these will probably be quite a welcome break as they don't look like they will foster much of a competitive edge, if at all, and can just be good fun... I've spent the last month IV breeding and EV training and doing repetitive Battle Tree streaks; I'd love something like this to remind me of 1998 when the games didn't feel like work. :)

11.jpg

I didn't notice that shops and Pokecenters are separate again. I will launch myself into space. I really wish they would forego tradition in this aspect of design.

11.jpg

I didn't notice that shops and Pokecenters are separate again. I will launch myself into space. I really wish they would forego tradition in this aspect of design.
It might be because they didn’t want to spend time in redisigning the maps too much, compared to the old versions.
It’d make sense since this project seemed to have started abruptly, after the release and success of GO, without being planned beforehand.

It might be because they didn’t want to spend time in redisigning the maps too much, compared to the old versions.
It’d make sense since this project seemed to have started abruptly, after the release and success of GO, without being planned beforehand.
I believe it really is because of tradition and older gamers, they really wanted to please both new and older gamers.

It's debatable if Zeraora is a seen pokemon.

I’m pretty sure it would be considered seen. This is the very same Twitter feed with a post from April 8th hosting the Zeraora reveal video. From their perspective, all anyone who’s reading that tweet about the new Pokémon needs to do in order to find out about Zeraora is scroll down a bit. Besides that, it’s clear from that reveal video that Zeraora will be given out to USUM. But are they really going to distribute a single Pokémon for USUM, and then make it the only thing we can transfer from Gen 7 to LGPE? That’s mighty awkward. And to what end? “You’ll meet a Special Pokémon... if you bothered to pick up our double-dip games last year and feel like moving it up so you can use it here instead of on the 3DS.”

It makes a lot more sense for this to just be a brand-new Pokémon. That way, LGPE aren’t just 100% Yellow remakes, and do offer some new form of exclusive content for anyone who is willing to go in on them.

I believe it really is because of tradition and older gamers, they really wanted to please both new and older gamers.
Fair enough, but I honestly don’t believe so.
I don’t think any older player would care if in Kanto the Pokècenters and market would be united, or if the maps would be slightly different. As an old player that started with Blue, I certainly wouldn’t mind.

We do know that the project is a reaction to GO’s success. And we do know that in recent years GF was working on S/M USUM, and Gen 8 games, as well as this, post-GO Release. It does make sense that they wouldn’t have the time and resources to focus on changing too much the maps and locations.

TheElderKing said:
It does make sense that they wouldn’t have the time and resources to focus on changing too much the maps and locations.
They've presumably had nearly two years (since Go's massive success) and USUM were a low-effort project, too. I wouldn't make excuses for them, especially before we see the next generation.

I'd be fine with the conservative graphics if the region changed, but nope.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom