• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers Official Let's Go Pikachu/Let's Go Eevee Discussion Thread

You’re right. Gens 1-3 are spinoffs

I didn’t know that having the GTS was a requirement to be classified as a core series title.

Last I checked, all you had to do was journey with a starter and a Pokedex, battle gyms (or island trials), defeat an evil team, and challenge a Pokémon League.

That’s how you define a core series game.

Not wild encounters.

Not GTS.

Not even gyms.

But modern fans define things however they want. Sorta reminds me of the problem we have in the world where people think there’s hundreds of genders. Definitions don’t matter in 2018, that much has become clear, and it doesn’t matter in what context.

The GTS didn't exist then...

A main game is one with all Pokemon available with new Pokemon too

and why are you suddenly being offensive about gender lol?

You’re right. Gens 1-3 are spinoffs

I didn’t know that having the GTS was a requirement to be classified as a core series title.

Last I checked, all you had to do was journey with a starter and a Pokedex, battle gyms (or island trials), defeat an evil team, and challenge a Pokémon League.

Not wild encounters.

Not GTS.

Not even gyms.

But modern fans define things however they want. Sorta reminds me of the problem we have in the world where people think there’s hundreds of genders. Definitions don’t matter in 2018, that much has become clear, and it doesn’t matter in what context.
It's all a matter of familiarity that can easily trigger fans. You tell someone that something'll change and they'll either deny it or be upset when it's true. It's because people expect the game to stay the exact same forever as they remember, hence when something is changed, even the littlest feature, it's considered tainted. Remember when people were in denial when rumors went around that there'd be no gyms in sun and moon, and when trials were revealed people were upset?

But modern fans define things however they want

You're directly contradicting yourself there...

Personally, I go by the logic- if GameFreak says it’s a main series game, it is. If GameFreak says it isn’t, then, well, it isn’t.
This is fool proof logic.

We've been shown time and time again that definitions are subject to change:
"A new Generation is when new Pokemon are introduced!"
Fast forward to USUM with Poipole and company.

It's all a matter of familiarity that can easily trigger fans. You tell someone that something'll change and they'll either deny it or be upset when it's true. It's because people expect the game to stay the exact same forever as they remember, hence when something is changed, even the littlest feature, it's considered tainted. Remember when people were in denial when rumors went around that there'd be no gyms in sun and moon, and when trials were revealed people were upset?

I do remember that. I was also a firm debater on letting the change happen me giving it a try.

A main game is one with all Pokemon available with new Pokemon too
Wait, since when? Who decided this? Why wasn't I on the council for that decision? I have my badge; I should have been contacted.

As I've stated before, no main series game before has ever had access to all the Pokemon. Not on its own. And the remakes of Gen I - III don't have any new Pokemon in them, so by that logic, they're not main series either.

You're just making things up at this point. And frankly, this just feels like a form of gatekeeping.

Personally, I go by the logic- if GameFreak says it’s a main series game, it is. If GameFreak says it isn’t, then, well, it isn’t.

I definitely agree with you, no doubt. But those in denial won’t even accept word directly from Gamefreak. It’s incredibly annoying.

But the characteristics I’ve mentioned are what has stayed constant, especially a Pokémon League. No game outside of core series has had a Pokémon League with a functioning Elite Four and Champion.

That’s probably the single most defining characteristic of a core series game. That’s what makes games such as Ranger and Mystery Dungeon, which are some of the best Pokémon games ever, not core games.

I'm of the mind that there are no 'rules' for any of this. A main series game is whatever Game Freak decides is a main series games.

The 'rules' are patterns that fans have come to recognize and expect, but as soon as GF whims it, those same patterns can be subverted or removed entirely and the fanbase then has to scramble to recalculate. It's too much work for no payoff, imo.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I agree with you. A main series game is whatever GF wants. That's the only 'rule' to this.

Wait, since when? Who decided this? Why wasn't I on the council for that decision? I have my badge; I should have been contacted.

As I've stated before, no main series game before has ever had access to all the Pokemon. Not on its own. And the remakes of Gen I - III don't have any new Pokemon in them, so by that logic, they're not main series either.

You're just making things up at this point. And frankly, this just feels like a form of gatekeeping.

That guy is annoying. Like I said. Many modern fans are just pick and choosing the definitions that they see fit, and either avoiding common sense characteristics like the inclusion of the Pokémon League I’ve kept mentioning, or avoiding direct word from either Gamefreak or The Pokémon Company.

Ishihara, the President and CEO of The Pokémon Company, who has a direct influence on the direction of the anime, TCG, and video games, declared it a main series title. It cannot get more absolute than that. He’s the shot caller. It is essentially his franchise in the current position he’s in. You cannot argue with this man. Yet many butthurt fans in denial are attempting to anyways.

Calling LGPE a Spin-off while denying GameFreak's word is like telling the author of a non-fiction book that it is fiction and getting angry at the author for calling it non-fictiom.

Exactly, and the stupidity of this genuinely hurts my head sometimes. Some people are just mind boggling.

I don’t like the direction LGPE is taking with some decisions (most prominently the removal of GTS) but I wouldn’t call it a spin-off just because it feels different.

I think Let's Go is a one time thing so to those who don’t like this game (maybe including me, depending on more news)- let's wait for the Generation 8 which is going to be much more traditional. Let's see what works out and what doesn’t with these games and judge them accordingly.

I don’t like the direction LGPE is taking with some decisions (most prominently the removal of GTS) but I wouldn’t call it a spin-off just because it feels different.

I think Let's Go is a one time thing so to those who don’t like this game (maybe including me, depending on more news)- let's wait for the Generation 8 which is going to be much more traditional. Let's see what works out and what doesn’t with these games and judge them accordingly.

This is a perfectly acceptable opinion to have and I 100% respect it.

Since the trailer dropped I’ve personally had nothing but hype and praise for what I’ve seen but I can understand, and accept, that it’s not everybody’s cup of tea.

That being said, it’s entirely ignorant to call the game a spin-off or an “indie creation” just because you may not agree with the games.

That’s where I have the problem. I never said anyone isn’t allowed to dislike the games, but calling them spin-offs as an insult is uncalled for and that’s all they’re doing, because it’s also misinformation that’s just simply false. Like we’ve agreed, if the developers and The Pokémon Company say it’s main series, that should be the end of discussion. It’s main series. It’s fact.

So divide 20 by 5 or 6 games and its only like an extra few dollars a game. Paid online is standard for the other consoles and at a higher cost.
Though if your switch will just be a pokemon machine and you don't care about the NES collection, then I could see getting annoyed I guess though.

I agree. At this point, every other console requires a paid subscription for online service, and it was only a matter of time before the Switch followed suit. Either way, I expect Nintendo to be a little more reasonable with the pricing and from what I understand there are arguably more benefits to doing it...we're already paying for the Pokemon Bank, and $20 a year for the Switch is less than a few months of Netflix (or Hulu, or Crunchyroll)...in perspective, over the course of a year it's an almost unnoticeable amount of money. Like it or not; it's not required to play the game...just to enjoy the additional features. We got spoiled on the 3DS, lol -- don't get me wrong, though. I'm going to miss that era, too.

Except that the GO fanbase’s biggest demand with PoGo has been a GTS-like system so I don’t know how would they prefer their LGPE games being devoid of online trading.

That's a fair point, but it's possible that they might still implement something like that down the line/without having to mess with the GTS, since 3DS users would probably still be using it, and we don't know what kind of overhaul it would have to undergo in order to be compatible with the Switch (though if this is the case, I assume it will have to happen eventually anyway, for next year's games). But if it prolongs the life of the 3DS games in any way, I'm on board.

I definitely agree with you, no doubt. But those in denial won’t even accept word directly from Gamefreak. It’s incredibly annoying.

But the characteristics I’ve mentioned are what has stayed constant, especially a Pokémon League. No game outside of core series has had a Pokémon League with a functioning Elite Four and Champion.

That’s probably the single most defining characteristic of a core series game. That’s what makes games such as Ranger and Mystery Dungeon, which are some of the best Pokémon games ever, not core games.

Doesn't Pokemon Puzzle league have an Elite 4 and Champion? Pokemon Stadium also has it too

Doesn't Pokemon Puzzle league have an Elite 4 and Champion? Pokemon Stadium also has it too

Not nearly in the same style as the core games. They’re usually “based” on a Pokémon League but aren’t actually a Pokémon League.

Not nearly in the same style as the core games. They’re usually “based” on a Pokémon League but aren’t actually a Pokémon League.

So we're discounting them to fit what YOU call a main game lol?

Yeah, they do. But on that note, Pokemon has always had "partner games" like Pokemon Stadium, which could connect to the Game Boy games...unlike LGPE, which has plot, and isn't just a series of battles and mini-games (or puzzles, lol)

So we're discounting them to fit what YOU call a main game lol?

No, we’re discounting them because LGPE are main series games.

I’m honestly not all that bothered if my definition doesn’t fit perfectly. That actually proves my point even more, not less, because like others said, fan definitions are just recognizing patterns in hopes that they remain consistent. Gamefreak and The Pokémon Company decide what main series games are, I’m just glad you finally realize it, thank you for helping me prove my point.

They're "main series" sure but they're gen 1, which means they're 25 year old games. It's just a remaster really. Kinda like the triple Crash remaster... except that was priced fairly

So fine, you win. It's a main series game because it's a gen 1 remaster which is over price compared to all the other remasters.

Eg, Dark Souls remaster come out in the last month and was half price than normal games. Nintendo get away with it because Nintendo fans love their 10 year old ports for $60. As someone who has an Xbox One and PS4, full price remasters are out of order

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom